"I'm studying for the CFA, so I'm staying home tonight." "WHAT THE HELL'S THE CFA?"

“I’m studying for the CFA, so I’m staying home tonight.” “WHAT THE HELL’S THE CFA!?” Isn’t this a conversation every candidate has gone through? lol!

I’ve explained it to someone at least once every week since I registered for the exam last October.

the best part is when someone who has no idea what the CFA is and compares it to an exam that they are studying for…like “I am studying for my mortgage broker’s licence so I totally know what you are going through”…it’s like yeah buddy its the exact same thing haha

sometimes i just save myself the headache and says it’s like a Chartered Accountant, but for Finance. usually they go away. It sucks when i have to explain it like that to people that are actually in undergrad business.

My friends compare CFA to a Series-7, which they could not clear and pretty much understand it’s a little less or equally difficult than an Series-7 exam… And I just laugh!!

Like a CA, but for finance… it’s the only thing that people understand, and yet still so painful to say. I at least got a “hey honey, does (our adviser) have one of those?” responded by “no dear” one time by family. Closest I’ve come to any sort of recognition without explaining.

TheDubs Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > the best part is when someone who has no idea what > the CFA is and compares it to an exam that they > are studying for…like “I am studying for my > mortgage broker’s licence so I totally know what > you are going through”…it’s like yeah buddy its > the exact same thing haha I think I’m going to use this one the next time someone asks what the hell I’m studying for. I’m 23 and a single guy and its tough getting phone calls on fri/sat and even tues/wed nights asking if i want to go out for a couple of drinks, or see a game, or just hang out. Now, facebook (a.k.a crackbook) is another story and i won’t get into that. ALL THESE HOURS BETTER PAY OF IN THE END!!!

I have started telling people the CFA is like getting your GED. People feel sorry for me and understand that it should be my top priority after that. They never seem to understand why it is only offered in June so I tell them I usually need more study time than the average “joe” to pass.

“I’m studying for the CFA designation so I can make my checkbook balance without computer software or outside help.”

I totally agree with you guys… it’s even harder for me to explain since here, in Serbia, there are less than 10 charterholders. So when someone asks: “What a **** are studing man?” I just say: “I’m enrolled in some US Master course in Finance”. Milos

I always get, “The exam is in June, why are you studying now?” Then I waste more of my precious time explaining what exactly this test entails, pass rate, suggested hours, etc…

I always just say I respect dogs, but I am a Cat lover at heart…people just need to deal with it

wanderingcfa Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I have started telling people the CFA is like > getting your GED. People feel sorry for me and > understand that it should be my top priority after > that. They never seem to understand why it is only > offered in June so I tell them I usually need more > study time than the average “joe” to pass. i tell them the CFA contains the easiest GED questions one can possibly get. stole that line from chris rock.

i always like, “oh, it’s like the poor man’s CPA?”

but it’s still better then explaining what an actuary is.

My friends from IT compare a CFA to a SCJP, SCJWD, SCBCD, SCDJWS exam offered by Sun Microsystems. Ignore their ignorance to the real world!! CFA is soon going to become a standard to enter into any investment management firm!!

“I have started telling people the CFA is like getting your GED. People feel sorry for me and understand that it should be my top priority after that. They never seem to understand why it is only offered in June so I tell them I usually need more study time than the average “joe” to pass.” hilarious…

dspapo Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i always like, “oh, it’s like the poor man’s CPA?” LOL Comparing to accounting designations is my fav. Especially the CA up here, where they put them in a class and go “module” by “module”. CFA just sends you a bunch of glossy covered books and tell you when to show up!

Milos, Could you send me an e-mail? I’d like to ask you a couple of questions. igorm5@gmail.com Pozdrav

i tell them, its like CPA but for finance… ya… certified finance analyst. What do i do with it? I analyze things.