In case anyone cares (hired)...

The funny thing is that the city has a bunch of cool shops like T.Row and Alex Brown. Forget about the hazard pay, ask them to hook you up with a military style hummer (the one with a machine gun on the roof). That’s the only way to make it in da hood!!!

With some run flats! Now we’re talking…

Congrats! Balt that rough? Living in NYC and watching Camden yards on tv it looks so nice!

Yeah, Camden Yards and the area directly surrounding it (let’s say 500 yard radius) is really nice. Outside of that area, it gets pretty crappy. Like, pot holes so large that they knock of large chunks of the bottom of your car and strand you late at night…uhh, not like I had a bad experience, ya know…

Congrats man. :slight_smile:

Is Baltimore as bad as Detroit? Our paper today “10 people murdered in Detroit since Saturday” …and thats just the documented ones I assume…

Not sure. I know Baltimore is one of the worst run cities in America, but New Orleans would dwarf Detriot in terms of murder and crime. I believe New Orleans is now the leading murder city in the industrialized world.

I beleive it, it’s probably turned into the wild west down there after Katrina.

Last list I saw, Baltimore was second in the country for homicide per capita, behind Detroit. I agree kkent - to say this city is a total cluster f*ck would be the understatement of the year.

Doesn’t anyone watch “The Wire” on HBO??? That is Baltimore for you…they pride themselves on using actors that are “real people” from Baltimore and shooting on location. What you see is what you get…and yes, from my visits down there, I’d agree that the city is a complete dump. You know you have it bad when your best school (Hopkins) has a multitude of homeless people sleeping in its dorms, and every gas station has the bullet proof glass with the “safe cash” drawers. mwahaha…I love the east coast, but sometimes I wonder why?

DirtyZ, the great geniuses of Maryland elected Baltimore’s mayor as Governor a few years ago. Clearly, he deserved it based on his tremendous work…

Just for the record I think Philly was the murder capital of the US. Averages 1 murder per day.

kkent, congrats. I’m wondering though, how on earth do you take the CPA without the 120/150 education credits???

Stern, community college.

kkent, I posted about a similar job on what the low income reit. I turned ity away, because they wanted me to do syndication rather asset management. where are you? the comp seemed a little low. congrats on the new job

damn, so you’re taking ~10 accounting courses at a CC to sit for the CPA along with work? That’s rough.

6 online courses through CC over the next 14 months (company is paying for it, so I figured, why not? I’m used to 80 hour work weeks and now I’ll be working a mere 50-55; what to do with my time?).

zforce, market and investment analysis. Comp should be nearly $55k–not at all bad for entry-level in my area (but I’m not gonna be rich). I was looking at some investment banks offering comp around $80k, but I didn’t want to put in the 80-100 hours. There are limits to my work ethic–I’m a hard worker, just not an insanely hard worker.

market and investment analysis? so you analyze cap rates, FCFs. Goo start to a REIT career, but don’t marry your position, unless you want to do Low Income Housing analysis all your life. Remember, accounting method is much different.

I hear ya, man. If I find that I really like what I’m doing, I’ll definitely consider staying on beyond a year or 2 (there is a lot of money to be made in the Low-Income business, ironically) and specializing. But I’m also going to be open-minded and continue to make myself marketable via CFA/CPA certs. After a year or so of research, I’ve come to realize that there are SOOOO many different types of opportunities out there–becoming “married” to my low-level position would be foolish.