In your mind, what is the cutoff for a top MBA vs a hacksaw MBA?

Lol top 2 or hacksaw juss doesnt make sense. Any of those schools listed by wendy i’d go to and i’d add a few more. they all have similar payback. I initially thought it was a typo and people juss forgot to add the 0 for 20. As a general rule 7something and its good.

Just out of curiosity… why? I can probably see why Stifel would be considered hacksaw, but a quick search on Baird’s site and you will see that:

-RW Baird is ranked as the 9th Best company to work for by Fortune. (have made the list 11 years)

-For the second consecutive year, Baird’s Asset Management group ranked No. 1 among companies with fewer than 100 employees in_Pensions & Investments’_ Best Places to Work in Money Management competition. ( I don’t know how much weight this can actually carry, it just sounds good).

-more than $100B AUM

^ Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain Itera. He is the all powerful and almight Oracle of Manhattan and balances the economy of the world with his mighty mouse and sell side research reports. Should you look at any firm outside of a “Top 2” then you should do us all a favor and violently hacksaw your sack while on webcam of bestgore.com (nsfw).

Only then, as a eunuch financier may you speak to the righteous Itera.

And who is Itera you ask? Well, the Hacksaw of Omaha once said, " “I don’t believe in God, but I’m afraid of him.” Well I believe in God, and the only thing that scares the financial well-being of the world, is Itera."

That’s why it’s location based. The NPV would be negative for someone wanting to stay in Arkansas his/her whole life to enroll in a top 2.

Go look at the profiles of employees at top tier Texas boutique banks. Simmons and Co, TPH, any energy PE firm. They have lots of Rice and McCombs MBAs, but your Whartons, Yales, Booths make up a meaningful contribution of their workforce.

An employer in Texas would probably value a degree from UT-Austin as highly as a degree from Harvard etc. http://www.trs.state.tx.us/global.jsp?page_id=/investments/imd_senior_leadership

True. I know of a venture capital firm in austin where the worst degree out of all 55 employees is a McCombs MBA. More ivy league degrees than you can shake a stick at. However, I have also seen plenty of reputable companies where the CEO is from Lamar and the partners have degrees from UH. I dont think it is as tough to make it with a hacksaw in texas as other places. granted, i am far from an expert on the matter, so i probably shouldnt even be discussing this.

Depends on what you’re aiming for

Investment banking at some bank? Top 20 probably

Management consulting at the top 3 firms? Top 16 but choose the schools with the stronger consulting recruiting

Asset Management? Top 7

Equity research at some bank? Top 20 probably

Etc

Where do the numbers 16 and 7 come from?

For anyone trying to break in, take whatever you can get. Caring about hacksaw status is a death sentence. No shame in starting small, working hard and climbing. But hacksaw is hacksaw

“I am the Lord thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt.  First, thou shalt have no other gods before me.  Second, thou shalt not attend UVA Darden as it is totally hacksaw…”

These are rough numbers.

For asset management, first hand experience.

what about corporate finance?

^ Dude, you’ll have an MBA soon. Even the rustiest hacksaw program will teach you the basics you need to know for most jobs. Whether you’ll get interviews/offers or not is up to you, fate, luck, or all of the above.

Stop asking us for permission. You have a decent resume and should farewell in your career if you work hard, do your best, and follow instructions.

If I followed the advice of most forum folks, I’d still be working at the carwash discouraged and bitter that I wasn’t born a corporate color into the right family.

thanks for the kind words. I agree. Unfortunately, it’s tough to remain confident when I haven’t even gotten a nibble from a firm in a couple months and most people here put you down and tell you you are worthless and should just become a plumber.

Nonetheless, I am not detered and will continue chipping away until I eventually succeed. i was just curious what that guy had to say for corporate finance haha. It wasn’t going to change anything I did. I know Im hacksaw. I just thought it was amusing how he was giving out these hard and fast, stone cold lock numbers for each industry.

Just go and do it man! Don’t listen to these faceless screenanames, heck, don’t even listen to me. Just stop asking for permission to apply for a job. If you want it, go get it. Be like my man TI.

I gotta grind, won’t stop Hustle won’t quit Shine like no other, I be on some other shit I got a high price lifestyle super bad bitch If I want it, bet I got it If I don’t bet all I gotta do is Go, get it, stay about my bidness Ball till I fall, floss until I finish I just go get it, stay about my bidness I’m living just to kill it, stack a million to the ceiling

Oh i do, dont worry. Thanks

So I just saw on a Linkedin discussion that my alma mater (UG) just got ranked within the top 100 for the first time.

Better not share this thread with the alumni network.