Interview advice - GS

Good luck sub

sublimity Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > hey goldenboy09, > > were you interviewing for a quantitative role? > also, maybe it was different because you already > had experience? i’m interviewing right out of a > phd program with no finance experience, so maybe > this weights it towards the technical questions a > lot more. I was interviewing for the same trading job I was already doing so sure that made a major difference. just my feedback… good firm and decent benefits

• Although you are interviewing for a technical position, cultural ‘fit’ will evaluated at every interview. - Provide the same level of thoroughness at every interviews. Treat all interviewers as if it’s your first at GS. Don’t assume the 10th interviewer spoke to the previous 9. (After the interview, the hiring mgr will get feedback within 24 hrs and decide if you are moving onto the next round.) - In case you get past the hiring mgr, he/she will need all-round buyins from every other interviewers. However, the weight of their inputs are not equal, one slip with an important interviewer will end the process immediately. But since the hiring mgr is now on your side, get some info on who is most critical AND how you can support their agenda (you are now in a salesperson role). Hopefully, the hiring manager will ‘coach’ you through the personalities throughout the entire interview process. - You are expected to fight for your boss’s job with others at your current level. Show competitiveness, as the internal competition is intense all the way from analysts to PMDs.

Semper Augustus is rooting for you Sublimity.

I interviewed with GS trading back in the days. I got one insight for you - “ace those statistics questions!” Good luck!

Good luck Sub. If you make it to the promised land you would be the first in this forum to achieve such a breakthrough. That must be worth 10 CFAs combined together.

good luck sub! i recommend restraining from a mom joke even if there is a golden opportunity, for the sake of the greater good of getting yourself hired. that being said, don’t be supper dry geek though - set yourself apart from the armies of super-qualified nerds by having some personality

Mobius Striptease Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > good luck sub! i recommend restraining from a mom > joke even if there is a golden opportunity, for > the sake of the greater good of getting yourself > hired. that being said, don’t be supper dry geek > though - set yourself apart from the armies of > super-qualified nerds by having some personality Personality is over-rated. Just show them that actually you’re too good to work there, but you’ll take whatever you can get at this point in your career :slight_smile:

mo34 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > Personality is over-rated. > > Just show them that actually you’re too good to > work there, but you’ll take whatever you can get > at this point in your career :slight_smile: sure, make them believe they are the ones being interviewed. thank you for applying to be my employer, Goldman - i appreciate your interest in my candidacy. it takes personality to do that though - if you are a genius with no personality you are like a diamond in the mud

Mobius Striptease Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > mo34 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > > > Personality is over-rated. > > > > Just show them that actually you’re too good to > > work there, but you’ll take whatever you can > get > > at this point in your career :slight_smile: > > sure, make them believe they are the ones being > interviewed. thank you for applying to be my > employer, Goldman - i appreciate your interest in > my candidacy. it takes personality to do that > though - if you are a genius with no personality > you are like a diamond in the mud I was joking off-course. The only time I interviewed with “Big Name” firms was with UBS and BGI. And in both cases I felt that I could have done better if I had a “nicer” personality. So based on my tiny sample, I would say, “Try to have a nice personality during the interview”

thanks for all your advice and support!! will need all the luck I can get. @ Level 2 Guy That’s some very useful info, will be useful to round out my prep in the soft and GS-tailored interview.

So how did the interview go? What was asked and were you able to answer?