Interview Assistance, Please Help!

KJH, I went to SCSU as well. Do you mind if I grab your email address. I have a question for you.

Turkish Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > “1. CFA -They can brag they have a CFA on staff > since they have none (99.9% sure of this)” > > Hold the phone, you’re already a charterholder and > were thinking about asking for $40,000? i second this comment. $40,000 for a charterholder in north america is LOW.

I apologize, I was typing fast. CFA Candidate should be in there, not CFA. Moto- khejna1983@msn.com

I don’t think they’ll brag about that… Not that it’s a bad thing.

I checked in today from my interview last Tuesday. The guy I interviewed with originally said today was the day for call backs and so forth. However today he said they are still conducting interviews and he will get back to me next week. I’m thinking this is NOT a good sign based on the fact that if he liked me a lot, he would have pushed me into a second interview with the VP who would then decide on proposing an offer. Since he is continuing with interviews, I have a feeling I may not be in the running. Anyone else have insight on this? Perhaps due to time constraints they had to delay conducting other interviews? Back office really gets to be a drag, but it is fairly easy… Also I’m sure very few of you really care about my interview, but I just wonder whats going on behind the curtain. On the phone he seemed very programmed to say no updates, we’ll get back to you next week.

KJH -> hope for the best! You’ve done your part. Don’t stress too much. If it’s meant to happen, you’ll get it. That being said, I really hope you do get this job. As I mentioned in an earlier thread, I’m also involved in a similar sort of role, and to top it off, I have to keep kicking myself for not negotiating a figure over the mid 40’s. :(:frowning: O well. Good luck anyways!!

I don’t think many companies will ever brag about having CFA candidates on staff, Level I, II or III. Turkish, I sent u an email

It could be a delay in things…that is normal. Where do you live? Comp def seems low…esp for Charterholder.

Hello, I’m from Minneapolis…this posting is for TCF isn’t it? I think you will make more than 40k. don’t worry about not getting called back, the job market is excellent for people who are looking in minneapolis. What I would worry about, is that TCF will prob get bought out which could lead to restructuring…thats just spec tho.

clos- You are correct on the buyout part of TCF. A bank in Canada has been considering for some time and I do know that their budgets have tightened alot. Rumors and speculation though. Do you work at TCF by chance, cause this is where the posting is. Otherwise do you mind saying where you do work? Just curious.

Fuck, got the rejection letter today. Oh well I guess. On a second note, I think I need to ask for a raise at my current job. Thoughts on the best way to go about this? There is not much that I can quanitfy. I have created some macros to aid in automation so I have that going for me. What should a back office employee be making after a year?

Going in there after recently receiving a rejection letter…should help with the confidence as well.

Sorry to here that KJH. Like I said when I emailed you, I’ll let you know if I see something open up where I’m at.

Turkish I am not really in the job market. I don’t have the time nor energy. This position was referred to me by a friend. After seeing all the snickers about my salary, it became obvious that I could be paid more. I wanted some insight about this. I figured after a year would be a good time to ask for a raise.

A year is a good time to ask for a raise…do you not have a yearly refer or some other structured event in which you can bring this up with your superiors?

The biggest problem I see with the Minneapolis job market is the layoffs from GMAC. Without knowing what level and type of positions are getting let go I am just guessing, but a few hundred finance related people back in the job market is never a good thing. Having just caught up on this thread I was about to suggest that is why they decided to wait longer than they originally intended but then I saw you got a rejection letter. Better luck next time.

One last thing KJH, I really think you should have said you expected a little more, but then followed that up by saying for the right opportunity and potential growth you are willing to be flexible. I tend to agree that a job with a business degree and 4 years of experience would have been 50K give or take. As for your current firm, I find that RIA’s are really hit and miss. Some pay support staff well, others don’t. If it’s small in my opinion the RIA has a greater chance of not paying well. But at a small firm, you also have a better chance of getting more diverse experience. I think if you have been there a year and not had a review (or even if you have had a review) you should talk to them. I know you want more money and that is currently what you are planning to ask for, but I would suggest a little different strategy. As well as maybe asking for a raise, ask for more or other responsibilities. A ten percent raise gives you about three thousand more dollars. I believe getting them to allow you to work on research or asset allocation or something like that will pay off way more in the end. How big is the RIA? Do they have any Investment Analyst or Portfolio Management roles, or is all that outsourced?

Maverick, thank you for your thoughts. The RIA I work at works with high net worth clients and trust banks. Our AUM is $1billion. The total staff is 14, 12 of which are at the main office. We outsource the PM roles. We used to have 2 investment analysts but now only 1. I do know they are looking to fill the other spot, but the applicant needs 4-6 years experience and be a Level 2 candidate. The experience here is pretty good. I work closely with trading and have learned a few tactics there. Trading just doesn’t excite me though. Being the office is so small, I’m in the loop on everything that is going on on all levels. It’s interesting most of the time. I have not had an annual review nor do I know if they will offer one, but nontheless I think I will sit down to express a few things. Asking to help out with investment analysis will be one idea for sure. Second, we’ll see about a raise of some sort. The wage is not the biggest factor for me right now. I’m soley seeking CFA qualifying work experience. Today I was commended; many employees are seeking time off for the holidays so there was a ‘wish list’ of days one needed to request off. Being we’re so small, only a select number would be allowed those days. This morning when I arrived, my manager called me in his officer wondering why I did not turn in a time off request as he directed. There was no need to turn one in because I don’t have a reason to take any days off. Needless to say he was impressed. Many of the other employees were taking an excessive amount of days off so being I acted selfless he was pleased. Hopefully this thought will linger when I ask for a raise.

KJH Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Fuck, got the rejection letter today. Oh well I > guess. > > On a second note, I think I need to ask for a > raise at my current job. Thoughts on the best way > to go about this? There is not much that I can > quanitfy. I have created some macros to aid in > automation so I have that going for me. > > What should a back office employee be making after > a year? Wow, I can’t believe you were able to type fuck without it getting censored.

I agree, I wouldn’t give them your current salary unless they really asked. i just got an offer for twice what i’m making right now and never gave them my current salary. Then you can ask for $50k. If they say no, maybe you will get $45.