Interview Close Ratio

are you getting screwed over on behavioral questions or technical ones?? Or are you aceing both kinds and still not getting the offer.

frisian that makes so much sense. I’m going to keep those cornerstones in mind for the interviews to come. I read a book about behavioral type questions decoded. It wasn’t very helpful. This past interview was almost all technical questions which was good. I did very well with those. One thing that may be a turn off is I am a bit more introverted. Also I have a feeling my Excel/Access skills are not up to par. (Didn’t know being a skilled macro writer was necessary in finance) Overall I’m wondering what is the different between an offer and rejection. Are there key phrases or actions to display? At the end of this one I gave a blunt statement that a job like this would fit very well with my interests and ambitions.

My rule of thumb is if they don’t want you then you don’t want them. Same applies to dating women if you’re a man and men if you’re a woman.

Except the job market is so bad, it is like 100 men chasing one woman.

In that case I would rather just stick with my current job and my left hand.

farley013 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > In that case I would rather just stick with my > current job and my left hand. LOL!

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > For the girl at the bar, the trick is just to talk > for the sake of talking. And remember to look her > in the eyes as you do it. And smile because you > like her. > > Alas, it took me *way* to long to learn these > simple rules. And now I can’t use them anymore > (without the threat of losing a testicle or two). +1 golden advice. listen up, single, young men

I think a often missed point when it comes to interviewing is not showing the interviewers that you are desperate. KJH I’ve read some of your posts and it seems that you are dying to get out of your current role, maybe to the point where you subconsicously show it at your interviews. I think the key is to show that you are interested in the position, but not show any desperation to get out of you current job and maybe drop some hints that you do have other interviews lined up else where. thats my 2 cents. also please excuse my spelling.

ks112 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I think a often missed point when it comes to > interviewing is not showing the interviewers that > you are desperate. KJH I’ve read some of your > posts and it seems that you are dying to get out > of your current role, maybe to the point where you > subconsicously show it at your interviews. I > think the key is to show that you are interested > in the position, but not show any desperation to > get out of you current job and maybe drop some > hints that you do have other interviews lined up > else where. > > thats my 2 cents. also please excuse my spelling. agreed. my sense is that KJH is more qualified for some of these jobs than he thinks, but the perception of desperation often can be linked with lack of confidence. anyway, i have no idea what KJH’s interviewing skills are but this is something that i know i could keep in mind too. there were times i wanted to leave my prior job so badly, but i had to take a step back and remind myself that i was in a non-desperate situation and make sure that i kept any commentary about any aspect of my professional life as positive as possible.

Thanks so much guys. I think numi and ks are onto something. I have no more upcomming interviews. But I’m going to keep alot of what has been said in mind.

Really good advice on this thread. I would add this: When interviewing, keep it positive. As is often the case with people trying to switch jobs, I don’t like my current role. However, when interviewers ask me why I want to leave, I will say something like, “Actually, I love my current job and firm, but I am moving to xyz city because my wife wants to be closer to her family.” That’s maybe 10% of the decision but it sounds a lot more positive than any other answer I could give. Remember, this is a game. If you want to win, you have to lean the rules of the game.

yeah…sounds like you are qualified and have a good resume…which is bringing the interviews in… Stay positive…you’ll get there…

Or you want to leave b/c you have gained enough experience in your current role and believe you are well-qualified for something more challenging.

enter positive empty cliche here.

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > For the girl at the bar, the trick is just to talk > for the sake of talking. And remember to look her > in the eyes as you do it. And smile because you > like her. > > Alas, it took me *way* to long to learn these > simple rules. And now I can’t use them anymore > (without the threat of losing a testicle or two). I’m 26 and I split up with my live-in gf of two years a couple months ago and have been on a few lousy dates since then. This post put me in a good place.

amberpower Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Or you want to leave b/c you have gained enough > experience in your current role and believe you > are well-qualified for something more challenging. If someone were to say this to me I would think they couldn’t succeed at their firm. If you are that good, your firm will make room for you to grow. I know that’s not always the case, but I would steer clear of this sort of answer. It also makes it sound like you will leave as soon as you are not feeling challenged, which is the last thing an employer wants to hear.

I guess it was my situation. I worked at a small boutique money manager right out of college reconciling accounts, 15 people in whole firm. Everyone there was not going anywhere and there was no where for me to go. Just wasn’t going to happen.

amberpower Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I guess it was my situation. I worked at a small > boutique money manager right out of college > reconciling accounts, 15 people in whole firm. > Everyone there was not going anywhere and there > was no where for me to go. Just wasn’t going to > happen. Sounds JUST like my firm. Everyone is happy being the peg on the wheel. We’re down to 9 now from the recent firings.

Oddly enough, I really wanted to be a sales asst (retail) for awhile and then move on to bigger things. I finally got out of the small firm to do just that, but with 2 instit. middle market bond salespeople. I have learned sooooo much but am ready for more, thus my thought to get the CFA and go back to the buy side and eventually, hopefully, become a PM. I have found that being a salesperson is not my strongest suit. I

Here is a good thread I recall. Hey, here is that inmate/girlfriend post that was brought up no too long ago.