Interview where you just don't give a f

Mobius Striptease Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i like to interview candidates where i just dont > give a f. you know, a buncha suckers brought by HR > to fill in quotas, where we all know we’ll fill > the position by internal tranfer. > > it really takes the pressure off the interviewer, > i dont have to gauge how good they are or if > they’ll be the right fit - i dont care. i just try > to come up with oddball nonsense questions and > watch the poor bastards squirm as they strive to > make a good impression Interviewer: If you were a type of soup, what would you be? [pen poised] Candidate: Uh…uhm…I guess…broccoli cheddar? Interviewer: Uh huh. I see. And why is that? Why not something like cream of tomato? Candidate: Well, I mean, that’s good too, but I just…I mean that…it’s… Interviewer: [writing furiously on pad] Candidate: …I just had broccoli cheddar recently, and it was really good. Interviewer: [stops writing with finality] “It was really good.” OK, I think we’re done here. [rises to leave, shaking head]

Mobius Striptease Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i like to interview candidates where i just dont > give a f. you know, a buncha suckers brought by HR > to fill in quotas, where we all know we’ll fill > the position by internal tranfer. > > it really takes the pressure off the interviewer, > i dont have to gauge how good they are or if > they’ll be the right fit - i dont care. i just try > to come up with oddball nonsense questions and > watch the poor bastards squirm as they strive to > make a good impression I hate it when we both know the interview is BS and you ask them if they have any questions and they ask one !?

When you are interviewing someone, and you learn very quickly that they obviously overstated their resume and/or are retarded, how quickly do you pull the plug? I had a five minute interview a while back with this guy – I asked him some warm up questions about what he said he was capable of doing, and he flopped, so I ramped it up and asked some additional questions to clarify (hard questions, as I was annoyed), and he totally flopped those, so I just ended the interview. Why waste an hour?

Carson Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > topher Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I am currently interviewing for one of these “I > > don’t care” roles. I just finished the 2nd > round > > and will be doing a 3rd and final round early > in > > the new year. > > > > I still went to each interview and showed > > enthusiasm and how I could fit in with their > > company. I still tried to market myself and > show > > what skills from my unrelated field are > applicable > > to their manufacturing business. It doesn’t > hurt > > to just try. The more offers you have on the > > table, the more leverage you have to negotiate > > with other companies. > > > > It also feels good and is a good > > confidence-booster just to have an offer on the > > table. How many offers have you received in the > > past year? I’m not trying to be mean, but I’m > > guessing less than 5 because that’s just the > way > > the economy is right now and you’re essentially > > interviewing full-time while in bschool. So > just > > take what you can including refeshments as numi > > pointed out :slight_smile: > > > Less than 5! Who gets more than 5 job offers in > one year? Surely you tend to interview for jobs > you aspire to get. Once you get an offer (or > five!), wouldn’t you stop interviewing and take > it? As I said, less than 5. I never said you should expect more than 5. I really meant he probably has 0. But if you’re in bschool, I would think it’s normal in a good economy to have 3 or 4 offers on the table.

I have a feeling the real interviewer felt like purealpha when he saw my resume (see back office). The interviewer was an assistant whom started 4 weeks ago for the ops department. It was pure behavioral questions. I really think I was a quota filler. But the practice was all good.

QuantJock, I know you’ve been searching hard. Keep fighting!

I have been searching, but as a full time MBA student, I’m taking my time.

Here’s an idea – when you have an interview that you really don’t give two sh!ts about, I recommend you making the most of your time by doing a re-enactment of your favorite Hollywood monologue. Any thoughts, guys? Here’s one that comes to mind – check out Daniel Day-Lewis as Daniel Plainview in “There Will Be Blood.” I drink your milkshake!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKQ3LXHKB34

One time I had an interview with some BNY Mellon senior hiring managers and director, one lady she saw my resume that I was working on two professional designations while she was having hard time with her Series 7. Although I didn’t land the job but with all the credit&respect I got, that definitely fueled me with extra motivations to finish whatever I had left. I think my half day there was well spent.

Having a hard time with the Series 7 is utterly pathetic. Officially, if you fail a 3rd time, you have to wait half a year to retake it, but anyone who fails a 2nd time should just be fired.

One time when I was working on the sell-side, one of the sales assistants passed the Series 7, and the head of her team had the wise idea of e-mailing our research group and inviting us out for drinks in order to celebrate the “wonderful occasion.” I laughed so hard I almost got an ulcer.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years? “don’t say doing your wife, don’t say doing your wife…doing your son?”

A few years ago, I had to find a new secretary for my boss. I mentioned this job opening to a friend over a beer, and he said immediately that he could have someone for me. Another friend of his. A chick, highly qualified, stress resistant. “Hmm”, I said, not really wanting, "but she needs to be good looking. " “Yeah, yeah”, he said, “she is blonde”. “Okay”, I say, still not really convinced that this would be a good idea, but then I gave in, thinking it could be a chance for her and at least some practice time in interview technique for me. When she showed up, I almost kicked door shut in her face: Blonde, sure, but ugly. Bad skin. Reeking of cheap perfume (or alcohol. I couldn’t tell the difference because of her bad breath). She was dressed in a gown reminding me of what you wear in an Indian shrine or a temple or in a sect. She also had a wooden chain around her neck. Supposed to be pretty, I guess. Over the entire length of the interview she played with these wooden marbles around her neck ("click…clack…krkrkrkr, click, etc.) and didn’t seem to notice that she was driving me nuts with that. During the interview I learned that she had previously worked in HR (!!!) and had actually made some sort of career. Listening to her self-adulation I could only wonder (and regret!) why they actually let her go. While the interview didn’t go over the full length, I still managed to be polite to her. After all, she was the friend of a friend. But then, just before she left, she started to criticise my interview style! This was the most unusual interview she ever had, she snarled, she had never seen anything like this at her previous employer! That just did it for me. I snapped back "That is probably because at StapleStreet you had lots of time at your hand and could BS around. But I got no time for some BS small talk here. I have a lot of work waiting for me. Good bye. " I almost kicked her in the butt when I saw her through the door. Sure enough, I never sent her papers back. I only called her a week later and told her that she was ruled out for the job. I am sure she actually needed the job, but she made almost every mistake in the book and I can’t feel sorry for someone (leave alone giver the job) if she doesnt take this whole thing seriously. She waisted both of our times.

Stiff1 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > A few years ago, I had to find a new secretary for > my boss. > > I mentioned this job opening to a friend over a > beer, and he said immediately that he could have > someone for me. Another friend of his. A chick, > highly qualified, stress resistant. “Hmm”, I said, > not really wanting, "but she needs to be good > looking. " > “Yeah, yeah”, he said, “she is blonde”. “Okay”, I > say, still not really convinced that this would > be a good idea, but then I gave in, thinking it > could be a chance for her and at least some > practice time in interview technique for me. > > When she showed up, I almost kicked door shut in > her face: Blonde, sure, but ugly. Bad skin. > Reeking of cheap perfume (or alcohol. I couldn’t > tell the difference because of her bad breath). > She was dressed in a gown reminding me of what you > wear in an Indian shrine or a temple or in a sect. > She also had a wooden chain around her neck. > Supposed to be pretty, I guess. Over the entire > length of the interview she played with these > wooden marbles around her neck > ("click…clack…krkrkrkr, click, etc.) and > didn’t seem to notice that she was driving me nuts > with that. > > During the interview I learned that she had > previously worked in HR (!!!) and had actually > made some sort of career. Listening to her > self-adulation I could only wonder (and regret!) > why they actually let her go. > > While the interview didn’t go over the full > length, I still managed to be polite to her. After > all, she was the friend of a friend. But then, > just before she left, she started to criticise my > interview style! This was the most unusual > interview she ever had, she snarled, she had never > seen anything like this at her previous employer! > > > That just did it for me. I snapped back "That is > probably because at StapleStreet you had lots of > time at your hand and could BS around. But I got > no time for some BS small talk here. I have a lot > of work waiting for me. Good bye. " I almost > kicked her in the butt when I saw her through the > door. Sure enough, I never sent her papers back. I > only called her a week later and told her that she > was ruled out for the job. > > I am sure she actually needed the job, but she > made almost every mistake in the book and I can’t > feel sorry for someone (leave alone giver the job) > if she doesnt take this whole thing seriously. She > waisted both of our times. What a “waist”.

^ sorry, “waste”.

I once knew a girl who was really smart, and she looked great on paper. Stellar school, GPA… etc… And also a good presenter She got literally 80+ interviews for everything from AM, to banking, to research… and didn’t get a single offer. why? because she looked like an ugly man.