Investment Banking: Sell side vs Buy Side

Im interested in mutual fund investments, pension funds as that will be a booming prospect in Australia due to our age crisis and private equity, hoping one day to switch to hedge funds, but im unsure of the work there at the moment. Furthermore are there many chances of promotion in a mid tier buy side investment firm, or does it take really long?? Thanks again guys.

Most of people in my class want to be on the sell side, few are interested in buy side. This makes wonder, is sell side has much higher upside, that is why?

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > krnyc2008 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > My hours are 9AM to 6-6:30PM… No weekends > > whatsoever… > > > > The downside is that bonus is much smaller than > > what sell-side analysts usually get, at least > at > > the entry level. > > Pre-market material announcements start around 7AM > or later…but clearly well before 9AM in most > cases. Does your company not do pre-market trades? Not that I am aware of. But I work mostly with credit analysts, not traders… I am new and for now I just support the analysts in my group.

Yes most MBA people do want to go to the sell side, because its much more lucrative and prestigious (due to the big named companies you work for) than the buy side when you are a lowly ranked analyst. But in the long run the salaries average out and usually the best buy side analyst / portfolio manager would earn much more than the best investment banker on the sell side.

Keep reading that Vault guide…you have some ways to go yet. Dave101 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Yes most MBA people do want to go to the sell > side, because its much more lucrative and > prestigious (due to the big named companies you > work for) than the buy side when you are a lowly > ranked analyst. But in the long run the salaries > average out and usually the best buy side analyst > / portfolio manager would earn much more than the > best investment banker on the sell side.

agreed with MC Mario…no offense, but not knowing what you’re getting yourself into is probably the best way to ensure that you will not get a job on either the sell-side or the buy-side.

| thanks! sounds good. | | /

yep i got it, i will probably write back next week because i am pretty busy this weekend. hope all is well

Dave101 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Yes most MBA people do want to go to the sell > side, because its much more lucrative and > prestigious (due to the big named companies you > work for) than the buy side when you are a lowly > ranked analyst. I’m in an mba program right now, and I think the reason everyone ends up in the sell-side is because it’s easier to get these jobs–the banks come on campus to recruit for formal internship programs, while the mutual funds/hedge funds do not have the formal MBA summer programs. We must have had 20 banks come on campus, nearly all recruiting for multiple positions. It’s easy as heck to apply. The buyside opps are harder to come by. We had several of the big mutual funds, and a few hedge funds, but overall it’s much tougher. There’s a lot of really big shops that don’t even do summer MBA intern programs. But as far as prestige, I think it’s better to be an analyst for a fund than an analyst for a bank. Just me though.

Ok everyone, I’m on this site to gain knowledge and understanding of each the sell side and buy side. I’m not here to be told by everyone I don’t know much, cause I know that, i am only 21 years old and still a student. I only know finance in theory, thats why I’m asking peoples opinions about each the buy side and the sell side. So can people stop telling me I don’t know what i am talking about and offer me some insights and professional opinions relating to my original question? Rather than evading the question altogether? That would be much more appreciated. After all that is why I am here.

Dave101, naturallight, in addition to being a smooth refreshing light beer, has nailed it. Sell side is easier from a recruiting standpoint out of BSchool…not necessarily better. Ultimately, the path to the buy side is pretty hard to pin down but spending some time on the sell side is as good a way as any besides getting domain knowledge in an industry. No evading the question there…just keep reading and asking questions. You will figure it out eventually.

deleted by myself

Squirrel24 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Dave101, > > naturallight, in addition to being a smooth > refreshing light beer, has nailed it. Sell side > is easier from a recruiting standpoint out of > BSchool…not necessarily better. Ultimately, the > path to the buy side is pretty hard to pin down > but spending some time on the sell side is as good > a way as any besides getting domain knowledge in > an industry. > > No evading the question there…just keep reading > and asking questions. You will figure it out > eventually. i agree with squirrel and the beer man Dave - just spend more time on the forum, read as much as you can and hopefully it will give you more clarity in the two roles…don’t worry, people are not necessarily going out of their way to be hard on you, and recognize that learning the differences can take weeks in order to really understand what people actually do on the day to day. but just keep reading and finding ways to enhance your knowledge…nice thing about forums is that people who really work in these types of jobs tend to speak pretty candidly about their day-to-day experiences, which is something you may not get from the vault guide or wikipedia