Investor Relations

Is anybody in this field? What is it like? I’m gonna interview for a position like this, my previous background is 1 year analyst exp. at a restructuring and m&a boutique. Ideally I wanted to go into sell side ER because of the greater peoples skills and people interaction recquired etc… Is this a cool job? I dont know anybody who is an Investor Relations guy… Tks for the feedback

Sounds like sales support to me. Nothing wrong with that but M&A -> Sales support doesn’t make sense. I have a contact at my bank who is the President of business development (which is essentially just schmoozing clients). It’s a pretty sick job, you basically sit around, tell them how rich and awesome they are. Eat gourmet food in the nicest board room you can imagine and then have them throw a few hundred million at the bank. Not too bad… She also CLEANS UP! This family collects cars, at last count they had 26 cars ranging from Porsches to Lambos to H1’s to race Corvettes to Race Porsches.

I’m going to get a job in business development. Thanks for the tip.

Investor relations can be a good position depeding on the firm. IR get frequent access to senior management in whatever company you are working with and will be in regular contact with sellside analysts and media, particularly at results time. There should be plenty of opportunities to make contacts with SS analysts I’d have thought which could help you land interviews down the line. Key point to make sure at the interview is that you would be in a client facing position. i.e. that come results results or some big announcement you are actually on the phone to analysts and media clarifying points and doing face-to-face meetings on roadshows etc. You don’t want to be the guy in the background who photocopies the reports for their boss to take on the roadshow!

yea IR isn’t too bad you’re either a tall white dude from a WASP background or hot 40 something like those girls from “Real House Wives of …” Entry level IR is basically fielding calls, preparing presentations, handling account info, etc. At a higher level your pitching clients with PMs and taking clients out to trips and restaurants. Pay is good, should break into X00k once you move higher up depends on the firm’s AUM/track record/how much $ you bring in. I haven’t seen alot of buy-side analysts from IR but could be good job into b-school.

Dealbreaker has those stories about the blonde IR girl who was pulling in >500k with a Hedge Fund in GB.

ASSet_MANagement Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Sounds like sales support to me. > > Nothing wrong with that but M&A -> Sales support > doesn’t make sense. > > I have a contact at my bank who is the President > of business development (which is essentially just > schmoozing clients). It’s a pretty sick job, you > basically sit around, tell them how rich and > awesome they are. Eat gourmet food in the nicest > board room you can imagine and then have them > throw a few hundred million at the bank. Not too > bad… > > She also CLEANS UP! This family collects cars, at > last count they had 26 cars ranging from Porsches > to Lambos to H1’s to race Corvettes to Race > Porsches. IR is not a business development role. It is essentially a role where you communicate information about your company to make sure it is being priced at fair value. You can go on roadshows with the execs, but the hot blondes are normally more for smaller cap companies to tend booths at conventions etc.