IQ scores have been dropping last 2 decades

Right.

Intelligence is genetic pattern recognition ability, it is quantifiable. You get some 10 year old, with no education yet, and no accumulated wisdom, but their intelligence is off the charts.

Education is just accumulated stuff you learned (much of which is false). Intelligence and education have almost nothing to do with each other, people think they can “become educated” and that is equivalent to “becoming smarter” and that’s just not the way it works. You can get dumber (corn syrup and drugs), but you can’t get smarter.

Wisdom is harder to explain. It’s life experience, perhaps related to a lack of education (not having received brainwashing), some people just have it, some get it, some don’t. Even if you have intelligence and education, you could still do some really fuckn’ stupid sh!t. Wisdom is knowing not to do that. Even uneducated low-IQ peasants can have high wisdom. Oddly perhaps more than other demographics.

Black Swan, have you seen any per capita statistics on reading over time? I tried to find some but the few things I found (not exactly per capita numbers) suggested book readership hadn’t changed much. And I agree they aren’t mutually exclusive, but I also suspect reading books isn’t the only way to generate those sort of results

try googling the difference between knowledge and wisdom and prepare yourself for an hour of conflicting information with people constantly redefining it. it’s very annoying! anyways i would like to add to the litany of bs all over the web by adding my opinion based off the definition from the dictionary.

intelligence is how fast you can drive! ¡Dame más gasolina! Skrrt!

knowledge is how much you have traveled! That make me wish I had a little less mileage on me

wisdom is if you have traveled the most! Life about who make it, not about who make it the fastest

intelligence is potential net income. knowledge is your current net worth. wisdom is if you have the highest net worth!

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/01/the-decline-of-the-american-book-lover/283222/

The Pew Research Center reported last week that nearly a quarter of American adults had not read a single book in the past year. As in, they hadn’t cracked a paperback, fired up a Kindle, or even hit play on an audiobook while in the car. The number of non-book-readers has nearly tripled since 1978.

Without question, the American bookworm is a rarer species than two or three decades ago, when we didn’t enjoy today’s abundance of highly distracting gadgets. In 1978, Gallup found that 42 percent of adults had read 11 books or more in the past year (13 percent said they’d read more than 50!). Today, Pew finds that just 28 percent hit the 11 mark.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/09/07/the-long-steady-decline-of-literary-reading/?utm_term=.7d1679386a9e

The percentage of American adults who read literature — any novels, short stories, poetry or plays — fell to at least a three-decade low last year, according to a new report from the National Endowment for the Arts.

In 2015, 43 percent of adults read at least one work of literature in the previous year. That’s the lowest percentage in any year since NEA surveys began tracking reading and arts participation in 1982, when the literature reading rate was 57 percent.

I never said reading a book is the only way to generate these results. But it is reliable and a good metric. It’s important to note the distinction between training and learning in the abstract I posted in the prior post. Something rote like browsing articles online reflexively is not likely to engage the mental behavior of learning which will trigger neuron recovery.

OMG, that’s me! :grin:

…I hate reading books.

Ok gents, let’s put ourselves to the test. Winner gets a beer?

https://www.mensaiqtest.net/

edit: NVM, I just completed it and they want me to pay 20 euros to access my score. Luckily, I’m a nimble forex trader though and can obvi afford this… But, don’t waste your time if you’re not going to pony up the 20 big ones.

edit 2: Here you go. What say you gents now about average IQ dropping? Looks like it’s just a bunch of bologni.

Does reading summaries count?

what about watching YouTube on warren buffett?

Or shark tank? The profit?

I mean imo if you read garbage let’s say fiction, sure you get neurons buts that’s all useless. No tanks!

I guess it depends. For instance, in this case you read most of this discussion but predictably failed to comprehend any of it. So probably not given the point of the abstract on learning and neurons.

It’s not that I don’t comprehend. It’s that I think your example sucks. Reading is outdated and to the point garbage in garbage out. Subject matter matters!

Actually you don’t comprehend because I stated that the subject matter is important and the abstract addressed that as well. My example was fine, but predictably you struggled to grasp basic concepts delivered in plain English.

From walking evidence of the thread topic, “books are outdated” is an unsurprising statement.

ahhhh cool. thx for underlining. i skim a lot lol.