Ironman Triathlon vs CFA

So, on your resume you would have: “completion of CFA program, June of 2011” “1st place in Ironman Triathlon June of 2011” This might help in getting a position with that kind of drive.

I ran a marathon while training for the CFA. I could do an ironman while doing level 3 I think as well. But I doubt I could be very competitive in both - even with my relaxed view of my day job.

I mean I also smoked half a gram of crack a day over that same period…

I took up running marathons to do something with my free time after completing the CFA testing. I know trainiing for and running marathons is not comparable to ironman triathalons but comparing marathon training to CFA studying, I’d have to say the marathon training and running is more difficult. The marathon training saps a lot of my energy. I end up running about 45 miles a week on average for the 18 weeks leading up to a marathon with my long training run on Sundays. NYC on November 7th is my next race.

I personally would find the ironman triathlon more difficult, but I know plenty of people who would find the CFA process more difficult to complete.

I finished Ironman twice and some other races (marathons and longer). I’ll try to clear level next year. I guess, training for a long distance sports event and studying for CFA and do a 60+ hours a week job is not possible as long as you don’t wan’t to lower you standards in any way. My sport achievments are part of my CV and in all my interviews so far we spent a considerable amount of time discussing them. So I guess that they are of some importance to employers. CFA wasn’t that much of a topic yet, but I didn’t do any interviews recently. Concerning the thoughness of an Ironman: After having spent 2+ years of training, the toughest thing that can happen is to not finish. Racing on the other hand is easy…

Impressive woolv. Did you compete at any of the U.S. venues?

Here’s my problems with doing the Triathalon now. 1) As I said before, just finish what you’ve started (CFA) since you’re near the end and get that crap behind you once and for all. 2) This way, if you get hooked on the Triathalon / endurence sports trek after the first year, you won’t have to then pause your workouts for a year and lose all your progress while you finish the CFA at some point. I’m big on focusing on one area then committing to it for however long it takes. Since I’ve finished the CFA program, I started marathoning a lot this summer / fall and will be moving to ultra marathons in October (two 50 miler’s that month), then maybe 100’s based on how October goes. I would hate to get into the swing of things then have to scale back to finish the CFA. Just get it done, then move on with your whole life ahead of you. 3) Lastly, and most importantly to me, personally, I don’t think you should approach these sorts of man challenges as resume builders or some sort of checklist. That’s just me. It’s kind of a lifestyle thing, and I tend to be a purist. But if the resume’s a big issue, then I’d say finish the CFA then work on the triathalon next year when you can commit fully instead of putting yourself on some sort of resume driven schedule.

Also, I can say confidently that I found the CFA process as a whole (all 3 levels) far more difficult than marathoning. People say you can be a fat slob and pass the CFA, this is true, but you can be a dumbass and finish an endurance event as well. In fact, I found the process of letting my physical health go to study long sessions an additional frustrating factor to the CFA.

I know what you mean. I ate a ton before the level 2 exam. I can’t study well on an empty stomach. I also think I’m dumber without carbs.

I know what you mean. I ate a ton before the level 2 exam. I can’t study well on an empty stomach. I also think I’m dumber without carbs.

ChickenTikka Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I know what you mean. I ate a ton before the > level 2 exam. I can’t study well on an empty > stomach. I also think I’m dumber without carbs. Your brain requires about 25% of the oxygen you breathe, that oxygen is used almost exclusively to burn carbs and fat for energy throughout your entire body. So your brain uses about 25% of your average caloric expenditure, unless you really are a super athlete, in which case it’s somewhat less. So yeah, you need food for your brain to work right, and carbs arrive faster. Pretty amazing that something that is roughly 5-10% of your biomass consumes roughly 1/4 of your caloric resources. It’s like the USA of the whole body.

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ChickenTikka Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I know what you mean. I ate a ton before the > > level 2 exam. I can’t study well on an empty > > stomach. I also think I’m dumber without > carbs. > > > Your brain requires about 25% of the oxygen you > breathe, that oxygen is used almost exclusively to > burn carbs and fat for energy throughout your > entire body. So your brain uses about 25% of > your average caloric expenditure, unless you > really are a super athlete, in which case it’s > somewhat less. So yeah, you need food for your > brain to work right, and carbs arrive faster. > > Pretty amazing that something that is roughly > 5-10% of your biomass consumes roughly 1/4 of your > caloric resources. It’s like the USA of the whole > body. Sadly, my “USA” is full of Alabama’s and Mississippi’s…and Sara Palins

You cant compare the two-Ironman Triathlon will be much easier for a person who has played competitive sports in college while the CFA will be easier for someone with an MSF. But as others have mentioned, it would very difficult to concentrate on both simultaneously.

What’s harder SEAL school or CFA or Ironman?

I think this goes without saying given the combination of mental requirements, elite conditioning and the dangers involved (scores die every year simply in training), becoming a Navy Seal is most definitely something few can do. With enough dedication and determination, people can attain the Charter and/or complete the Ironman.

Speaking from experience, I can say that completing the CFA program is a far greater accomplishment than completing a single Ironman triathlon. In many ways, the CFA program is like one long Ironman type event that stretches over three years–four more like it. Level I is the swim, Level II is like the bike, and Level III is the marathon. Any couch potato can finish an Ironman with a years worth of training, but to finish the CFA exams takes a different kind of resolve. When you fail to make a cutoff time in an Iroman your race is over, if you fail Level II for instance, your program is not done unless you want it to be, so to continue on knowing you will have to repeat a level takes some serious resolve and dedication to see the program through, since in the end you still have to get by Level III. I will also say that trying to do both simultaneously is possible, but probably not smart.

ironman. If you’re a woman, you can have a child and take CFA. IF you’re a woman, you can have a child OR take CFA. THey’re mutually exclusive events.

For the purposes of this discussion. Ironman Triathlon means an individual who actually finishes at a very respectable time (i.e., sub 10 hours). Running and training a marathon is completely different than training for an Ironman-distance Triathlon, so we should not mix the 2 disciplines up. For finishing off L3 CFA, one may study at least 300 hours. Ironman Triathlon training may take at least 400 hours considering that you are already an elite athlete. It could probably take twice the time if you are a recreational sportsman. The reason for taking a 1-year break from finishing off the L3 CFA is 2-fold: 1. Need to reassess my need to take the portfolio management-focus level, as I primarily work 70++ hours weekly. 2. Need to improve my health as 2 years taking L1 and L2 has caused my health to deteriorate. Training for the Ironman and studying for L3 CFA is not an option at this point, especially with my hectic work and family schedule.

jackofalltrades Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > For the purposes of this discussion. Ironman > Triathlon means an individual who actually > finishes at a very respectable time (i.e., sub 10 > hours). Running and training a marathon is > completely different than training for an > Ironman-distance Triathlon, so we should not mix > the 2 disciplines up. > > For finishing off L3 CFA, one may study at least > 300 hours. Ironman Triathlon training may take at > least 400 hours considering that you are already > an elite athlete. It could probably take twice the > time if you are a recreational sportsman. > > The reason for taking a 1-year break from > finishing off the L3 CFA is 2-fold: > 1. Need to reassess my need to take the portfolio > management-focus level, as I primarily work 70++ > hours weekly. > 2. Need to improve my health as 2 years taking L1 > and L2 has caused my health to deteriorate. > > Training for the Ironman and studying for L3 CFA > is not an option at this point, especially with my > hectic work and family schedule. Don’t get snotty about Ironman v marathons. When I’m talking about marathons, I mean people who actually run competitive times. My personal cutoff is a 3:30, most “Ironmen” cannot match that. Furthermore, marathoning for me has lead to ultras, and in my mind, no Ironman compares to the world of ultramarathoning.