Is CFA the Gold Standard in Finance anymore?

McLeod81 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > daj224 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > > > > > I went to top 20 > > Wow, why haven’t you mentioned this before? Oh, > wait… I guess you have. i was trying to make a point dodo. people think MBA is a cakewalk, but they have never gone, so their “ideas” are not credible

daj224 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > McLeod81 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > daj224 Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > > > > > > > I went to top 20 > > > > Wow, why haven’t you mentioned this before? > Oh, > > wait… I guess you have. > > > i was trying to make a point dodo. people think > MBA is a cakewalk, but they have never gone, so > their “ideas” are not credible The vast majority of people I spoken with about MBA programs indicate it’s an excellent opportunity to lower your handicap 5-7 strokes.

"David Harper, CFA himself confesses that PHDs/Quants consider CFA as just another extra-curricular activity and have a typical disdain for anything below a PHD. Of course a MBA in Finance from Stern or Wharton can get you better positions/wild card entry in PE/Investment arms of Banks. " Willy R, CFA himself confesses that PHDs are nerds and some of them cannot pass all three levels of the CFA program and moreover would not permit one of these dorks within 400 miles of his higher value clients. Willy

Willy R, that was truly one of the most distasteful posts I have ever seen on this forum. Thank you for your confession/opinion. Just do a Google search with keywords “David Harper, CFA” and you will come to know who David Harper is and what respect he/his word commands in the industry. Maybe you’ll also agree that the weight attached to his opinion >> weight attached to Willy R’s opinion after this 2 minute exercise.

I honestly couldn’t care a less about who Dave is. Willy

"David Harper, CFA, FRM, is the founder of Bionic Turtle, which he uses to help students and aspiring professionals prepare for financial certification exams - and develop career-related skills - with his unique movie tutorials. He’s been a loyal “Investopedian” since 2003 and he helped to create the very first (and very successful) Investopedia Advisor portfolios. He occasionally conducts in-depth research on small cap technology companies and rents himself out for valuation work or as an expert witness. He enjoys spreadsheets and derivatives, but if he is required to work with attorneys, he charges extra. " -from Investopedia.com Wow, this guy founded “Bionic Turtle”… that’s amazing. Actually there is a link on the investopedia page (http://www.investopedia.com/contributors/default.aspx?id=46) to contact David Harper directly. If you have such incredible respect for David, maybe you should just email him your question directly instead of coming here and blasting everyone who doesn’t agree with your ideas.

@McLeod, the intention was not to “blast anyone”, though my post could have been less inflammatory. I only thought that the comparison was made in a bad taste and replied. My apologies and I’ll stay away from this thread.

CFA doesnt give a guarantee that one is a gold after getting the designation but it does improve your knowledge of financial market. I would recommend that pursue CFA if you want to learn stuff and not only for seeking FO and highly paid jobs. Nothing is guaranteed.

I dont think there is a Gold Standard in finance . Each qualification has its own merits . Although the CFA is increasingly becoming a “must have” rather than a “nice to have” atleast in investment management .

Rudeboi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I dont think there is a Gold Standard in finance . > Each qualification has its own merits . Although > the CFA is increasingly becoming a “must have” > rather than a “nice to have” atleast in investment > management . every tom, dick and harry has one in IM world or pursuing it…

Yes, but not everyone makes it. That takes smarts and determination. The more you have of one, the less you need of the other, but you do need a certain amount of both.