Is it normal to feel totally under-prepared?

Nope. Driving exam is likely. Theoretical part.

ha!

I just tried to do 2014 AM exam under exam time constraints and ran out of time midway through question 8 of 11… I shall start practicing exams under timed conditions next year in March…because I know I am F’d this year… I find it is not lack of knowledge or knowing the material it is not having the time to think about your answer or solutions and just write what comes to mind… I feel like this AM portion tests your ability to recall data and more than understanding of the material.

Good luck to you guys and here is to hoping we have 9 not 11 questions on the exam…

Van there is so much in the air with level 3, so much variability, uncertainty, that you are not out till your out. I happen to work with alot of charterholders, and by way of my undergrad and masters also have alot of friends who are charterholders. I personally know a handful of people that have left 2.5-3 whole questions blank - and still pass. Theres a whole slew who finish on time, but end up getting <50% on up to 4 sections in the am - and still pass!

So believe me when I say this, you have every opportunity to pass this exam.

I think most candidates agree with me when I say a big part is luck, everyone has their strengths and weaknesses and by virtue of chance some people are going to be tested more on their strengths and some people on the weaknesses.

With respect to time management: on the front page of your exam, once they say go, take a minute and write down an associated time to each question on the front page. First question is 17 points? write 9:17. Next question is 22 points, write 9:39, and so on and so on. takes 1-2 minutes but might save your ass.

Did you notice that on the 2016 AM the last question was relatively straightforward, short case, circle the right answer, provide 2 points etc etc. Relative to other parts of the exam they were “give me’s”. So without appropriate time management - you may not get to them (unless you plan to work out of order - which I don’t do but to each their own).

When you finish question 1 and you check your watch and it says 9:18, mentally tell yourself - you need to pick it up a bit. if you’re over 5 minutes over the allotted points, your best bet is to put down what you know and move on. If you earn yourself some time in the latter part of the am you can always come back.

Trust me, its not over till the fat lady sings.

Good luck!

^^ Hey, don’t give up before battle started!

Pachstar great advice. Even write down Question/# on the first page if you get hit for time…or circle or something. Just keep pushing throuhg. 5/10 on everything beats 7/10 and 0/10

It looks like 50% will under prepared.

I thought about this recently. I think we’ve grown up trying to get 100% on everything, and so even when we take a mock exam and do well (which is 70% + in my opinion), it feels bad! So we have an empty feeling of not being prepared because we KNOW we got some wrong.

100% agree. Not getting a 100 seems weird…I agree ith you jbct91.

Dont think it’s possible to know everything unless you’re life is CFA and then it’s still got to be tough to know all. I have this thought in my head, that if I had one more week I would be in unbelievable shape but I dont think it matters. In another week, I would say the same thing.

Good post. Good luck all

Almost certain that you ran out of time because you spent too much on the Individual + Institutional IPS questions. This is a common rookie mistake. Instead, you need to skip those particular questions and try to pick the “low-hanging fruit” for easy points in the first hour or so. After that, then come back to answer the IPS questions in the final hour.

#TrustYouMe

is black ink pen allowed?

The IPS are annoying if you go down the wrong path. There’s probably going to be at most 2 IPS if anything. Just look at how much time you’re spending on it. If you spend the allotted time, move on and come back later. Pick up points from the other sections.

HUNT FOR POINTS!!!

This.

the funny thing is that the particular sub question that asks for the return calc… is something like 4 points… LOL and that single question is the one that will kill you in time

Also, you have to first read through the opening paragraphs to start with the case and that itself takes up some minutes.

Lol. This is a far flung city (read village) in India probably for some local primary or high school exam.

India/Pakistan CFA exam taking experience isn’t any different than anywhere else in terms of quality.

You’re right, probably the same as any other metropolitan area. Except for getting to the test centre, of course.

#HangOnTight

^if you just want to have some fun then its ok. But these people in the photos are the poorest people in that country on a 19th century train most likely during a political event or so, not a routine. The train tracks are kind of isolated from cities with only one station per city from where people get on bogies. A place so dirty/stinky where any middle-class South Asian would least want to go.

#StereotypingAtBest.

someone drop that fool for me…

joking… yes… allowed…

enough with indian times … wanna have fun, go fishing russian style ! that is so wicked !