is it worth to be a CFA charterholder?

I did my MBA (full time) from one of the most prestigious universities in India. I am a CFA level 3 candidate and have also passed both the levels of FRM. Yet I am not getting a call from any of the IB/investment management firms simply because my work-ex is not quite relevant to the jobs I am seeking. So, I am not sure how much value CFA adds if someone is looking for a role change.

I am surprised you only have this discussion with yourself now that you are a Level 3 candidate.

I look at it this way, unless you are already in a financial role and your company asks you to write the CFA exams, there is no guarantee that what you study will automatically land you a job in related field.

MBA doesn’t, PhD doesn’t, law or any master degree doesn’t.

In terms of money, i don’t know if you actually did a NPV analysis to compare a typical master degree tuition and cost for getting CFA (annual membership included), i would say the cost of a master degree far exceeds the cost of getting an CFA, especially if you include the loss of income during the master program.

In terms of time commitment, that is just a life decision eveyone makes, some put their education and career higher than others, some are okay to take a step back from their careers for their families. But whatever I do, i believe in no regrets. I make decisions that make sense to me at the time, and if it doesn’t go as planned, it’s just part of life. i could’ve done other things instead and they could’ve been equally unsuccessful, so there is no point of questioning yourself.

bottomline: education is never a bad thing.

Hope that helps!

NANA

I just finished master degree in economics and i am a CFA level 3 candidate as well. My work-ex is in software programming. I apply for many finance jobs and get no response. It looks like CFA and Master degree won’t help me change my career.

Well said NANA!

big dreams require big sacrifices

yes…that’s my quote

Correct!

this designation is like a big scalp that you proudly hang around…