Is Tesla the new Apple

It’s a state by state issue. Tesla and Elio are making headway breaking the dealer lobby. Success in some states, slower in others. All the news about Tesla’s refundable deposits. How does that even count? At least most of Elio’s deposits are non-refundable.

A bold prediction.

Agreed thats why you should assume a significant amount of them will be cancelled. Either way even if 30% of those turn into sales at 35k its almost 2bn in revenue off preorders (which for a car seems ridiculous)

Again I certainly wouldnt be a buyer of this stock as I dont know near enough about it, and I tend to shy away from the “hot” stocks, but it is interesting to follow.

Want to delve into this a bit more? Obviously you move more units selling phones, there are a few more zeros on the price of the vehicle. If they can use the gigafactory to control costs they could get some great margins.

TSLA is the first car to have to fanboyism. as cult as the beetle was, it doesn’t compare at all. they’re no longer selling cars, they’re selling a solution to the world’s problems. and potentially selling Musk as a real-life bond villian with moonbases and rapid tube transport.

What world problems are being solved?

switching the world’s auto fleet to electric thereby disrupting the West vs. ME oil wars, starving the ME of money for terrorism and instigating the start of 1984 starring Elon Musk as Big Brother.

I dig electric cars. Instant torque. Low horsepower required for American roads. But it’s old tech. Something else is going to come along. Fuels cells maybe. Who knows. Powering your car with solar energy stored in the form of coal and natural gas probably is not the way of the future.

Is anybody able to comment on my gigafactory question from earlier?

Huge regulatory risk. Without subsidies, it all comes crashing down. Musk’s genius is how he works the system. Impressive for sure… But, sorry, no numbers here. Just have read all his ventures are not viable without government support.

What do you mean huge regulatory risk?

The gigafactory is in progress. Once completed it will be the largest, lowest cost (by far) producer of lithium ion batteries, which are essential technology in a tech based world. It seems like a serious asset. Granted, I don’t follow the company or have an opinion, it just seems odd to me that this gets such little focus.

They’re hoping to parlay it into home energy storage. Already doing it actually. The market exists because of government subsidies and forced repurchase electricity rates. And the electric car subsidies are capped at something like 200,000 units per manufacture since inception. And what the EPA ultimately does with the mpg rules regarding electric cars will have an effect, maybe positive but could surprise to the low side.