Job Feedback

Your experience is already just as good as the position you’re applying for. I think you can do better. I think putting a household name on your resume would really help. In 2 years with a charter, MBA, & better job market you’ll be fine.

QuantJock, youre a funny guy and all over the place but I love your passion.

I think you’re right systematic. A big problem I have is interviewing. I tend to suck at it and come across too nervous. I’ve been told the only way to improve is practice. Therefore, this low pressure interview will suffice.

Interviewing is nervewracking for everyone, but it sounds like it is extra stressful for you. Can you say a bit more about what it is that you’re finding so difficult? Are you actually nervous, or do they just think you’re nervous? That makes a difference to how you handle it.

Would you describe yourself as a “quant sort of personality” that is somewhat introverted? What is it that you find hard about interviewing? What is your pre-interview strategy? I am more introverted than extroverted (INTJ), and I do poorly when I go into an interview cold – it helps to spend some time talking to people, even if just over the phone, for 30 minutes or something to get warmed up. That way, even though you don’t know the people you’re about to interview with, at least you’re in the flow of being social and don’t have to start from scratch. Other than that, just know your stuff cold.

I’m quite introverted. I can converse well with 1 on 1, but in small groups I’m usually the quiet one. Here is an email I wrote to the campus career service at my school after my NC interview. I got a rejection at the end of the month. I get VERY nervous during interviews and I don’t know why. I don’t struggle with questions and I am rarely stumped at a loss of things to say, but my voice is shaky and I’m just tense. Someone I practice interviewing with said, “Why are you so nervous, during this PRACTICE interview? Why!” His comments were it makes him uncomfortable when he sees someone so tense across the desk. Others have suggested that my anxiety is problematic, and I should literally seek medication (xanax). I don’t wish to go that route, but I am starting to see that my anxiety could be a problem holding me back from offers. Strangely interviewing is the only time this happens. I don’t have trouble with small talk with strangers and do fairly well in a professional networking environment. ----- My interview at company went very well. In preparation I focused on a few things. 1. I picked up the book “25 Things to say to the interviewer to get the job you want” in audio format and listened to it about 5 times. It had key things to mention and key things to avoid. It served me well. 2. I knew my story cold and established a brand regarding what I’ve done and what I can bring to the company. This story was genuine and original and I feel it brought who I was to life. 3. I practiced behavior questions with an ex recruiter, with experience hosting over 100 interviews, for 4 hours last Sunday. She evaluated my answers, explained why questions were asked, and provided guidance with matching behavioral questions with education and work experiences from the past. Claiming a strength of leadership does not hold much water if you’ve never done it. Needless to say this was instrumental. The interview contained 3 traditional interviews and 3 group activity observations. Outside of these formal evaluations, company officials were around throughout the day for chit chat. I made an effort to have a genuine conversation with all of these individuals. I did my best. However the cards fall is up to them now. Thank you notes for company were sent today. I’ll let you know what happens at the end of the month when decisions are made.

The only connection I see based on what you wrote is that you might be too outcome dependent during interviews. You don’t get nervous talking to people and meeting people, but when something you care about it is on the line, you tense up. That’s probably pretty common. I used to have this problem as well, but I learned how to psych myself up going into meetings and interviws so that whatever happens, it’s not the end of the world. I’m not saying don’t care and do a poor job, just realize that things are going to unfold one way or the other, and all you can do is try your best.

bromion Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > The only connection I see based on what you wrote > is that you might be too outcome dependent during > interviews. You don’t get nervous talking to > people and meeting people, but when something you > care about it is on the line, you tense up. That’s > probably pretty common. I used to have this > problem as well, but I learned how to psych myself > up going into meetings and interviws so that > whatever happens, it’s not the end of the world. > I’m not saying don’t care and do a poor job, just > realize that things are going to unfold one way or > the other, and all you can do is try your best. That’s exactly what I need to fix. Also, I’m a pretty level headed dude. Other comments I get is that I need to be more confident since I’m very humble. Any feedback for increasing confidence? I’ve been a member of Toastmaster’s for some time which helps. I’m looking at enrolling in Dale Carnegie after my MBA since that course looks fantastic.

Humility and lack of confidence are not the same thing. The opposite of confident is meek. What is the specific feedback?

The specific feedback is I need to be more sure of myself. My confidence needs to improve.

Off topic: Maybe it’s me, but when I see CFP on an equal footing with CFA, it irritates me. Anyway, wish you the best luck.

jcole21 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m going to send you an email tomorrow qj if I > get sometime, otherwise sometime this weekend. I > think I can give you some good info/leads. Thanks Bud. Your email was very helpful. I have 2 interviews tomorrow. The first is a supply chain position at a big company. They called me in for some reason, so I said sure. I need the practice. The RIA will be around noon. I’ll follow up afterwords.

skycfa Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Off topic: > Maybe it’s me, but when I see CFP on an equal > footing with CFA, it irritates me. “equal footing” = “pari passu” My fantasy football team is called the Pari Passu All-Stars. Vote for the Pari Passu All-Stars to win the AnalystForum league championships this weekend. We need your support!

Interview 1 - President and Head Analyst. The interview went very well, my job would be to perform fund due diligence for a variety of different asset classes. Also I’d be expected to find funds in alternative asset classes that can be bought for HNW clients. The President had a background in income tax preparation and wealth management. The head analyst was at a market neutral hedge fund prior and found his way into this firm where he enjoyed working closer to clients. Firm atmosphere is nice and they are running 98% on referrals. 3 hours after the interview, I get called back for another interview next week. Pay was not discussed and that is where I feel I’ll be disappointed. They have $250m under management. They take a cut of assets and charge per hour for various services. They take care of asset management, estate planning, and tax implications. They are across the hall from an accounting firm whom they work closely with. One principal is employed by both entities. Overall we’ll see. It’s one of the better interviews I’ve had in awhile. The morning practice interview beforehand made it a lot easier.

You probably already know the most of the things that there is to know about the interview strategy. So, let me just repeat this idiom: “Practice makes it perfect.” Practice interview as if it’s the real(the job you want) and do the real interview as if it’s practice. Be yourself, you’ll do well. Wish you the best. Numi, You’ve got my support.