Job opportunities for CFA L1??

When I read comments like those in this chain, it makes me wonder if CFA is worth it. If it really is no big deal, what is the point of spending so much time pursuing the designation? For those above making comments like this, can you let me know why you are spending your time and energy with the CFA program? I am not at all criticizing, just trying to understand.

The critical point people need to understand is that to fully realize the value of the CFA program, it needs to be combined with the necessary experience. It may help you move up faster in your current job, it may open more opportunities for greater responsibilities and higher pay, but the key is: Experience >>> passing CFA exams

The CFA charter is well known and admired, true. But a lot of people think that because this is true, then passing the tests must automatically open doors. This is a big mistake.

One can argue: “well, finance is what I want to do, and I’ll eventually go for the CFA exams anyway, then I’ll do it early.” That’s fine. Just don’t expect a flood of doors to open and tons of job offers when you pass L1/2/3.

The only way to get that kind of response is a top MBA program.

CFA is a big deal, but only in certain contexts. OP got his degree from a school no one has heard of (besides the one class from LSE). Imagine you are an employer in the US. What does OP bring to the table that makes it worthwhile for you to go through all the trouble of sponsoring his visa, paying an immigration lawyer, filing all the paperwork, possibly paying for his room and board while you do 3 rounds of interviews (with the possibility of telling him “no thanks, have a nice trip back”), etc. It’s a much safer bet for an employer to just find a first year amongst the many US students who have also passed CFA1, and have much more recognizable backgrounds than someone from India.

This is depressing to talk about. I hate to be so pessimistic, but it’s just a tough situation for him.

But I really wanna work abroad and gain some good experience, so how to go about it??

Please guide me

Abroad mean outside India. Eg: UK, USA, Europe, Australia, HongKong, Singapore

Please please guide me

Okay, points taken. Great to have and well respected, but it will not take you from IT position in India to portfolio manager in the U.S. in six months.

Off topic question since top school MBA brought up. If I were to go for an MBA from Columbia or NYU whle working, is this much different in terms of employer recognition than going full time to these schools? My impression has been that the full time MBA from good schools is much more valuable because it is harder to get in as a full time student.

Part time is far less respected vs full time. In many schools, the part timers don’t even get the campus recruitment opportunities , or at best get the crummy leftovers Full time is far more valuable if your goal is to really break out and move into something different. A lot of people stuck in a dead end job go for part time because they don’t want to give up a salary, and that’s understandable, but it doesn’t help as much as they hope

What about job opportunities as a financial analyst in Europe for an Indian like me?? (Like Germany, France, Switzerland)

Currently registered for CFA Level 2 Exam in June, 2012.

I have done PGDBM (Finance), B.Com.

Have work experience of about 1 year as a financial analyst