Job opportunity with the Feds in D.C.

I can’t speak to your job specifically, but all else being equal with your job, I’d highly recommend relocating to the Washington, D.C. area. Transitioning between the federal gov’t and private sector is ridiculously easy–this place is overrun with consulting firms–PwC, Deloitte, KPMG, Booze Allen, Accenture, etc. If money is what you’re interested in, there’s nothing like paying your dues with the feds and taking up a job with Accenture doing the EXACT same job in the EXACT same office for twice the money. As far as “international” people, well, yeah, compared to NYC, the word “provincial” used by bchad pretty much hits the nail on the head, but compared to virtually any other city besides NYC, it is fairly “international.” My roommate, for example, is Indian. My best friend is Bolivian. My love interest is Cuban. My stalker/enemy is Persian. Even I, as a racist, right-wing Republican, can’t escape “the foreigners” in D.C. :slight_smile:

^Do tell us about your Persian enemy you dirty Republican;)

M.P., I don’t want to be responsible for your career decision, but if quality of life is your dominant motivator, then take the fed job. DC does sound like a step up for you in terms of moving to a more fun urban center. People say that you can leave the feds and work in the private sector easily, so if that’s true, it sounds like it’s not a huge sacrifice, other than a year at a lower salary. If you’re just doing auditing, then I think you could jump to a private sector Big-4 firm. If you want to do portfolio management, or other kinds of CFA stuff, I’m less sure that you can, although if you go on to get an MBA later on, the MBA could be the move that facilitates the jump.

adavydov7 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ^Do tell us about your Persian enemy you dirty > Republican;) LOL. That’s a WHOLE other story, my friend.

@ kkent Nothing more hypocritical than a right-wing nut working for big government. You complain all year about taxes, Obama, big government, bla bla … but you have no problem getting your tax-payer funded paycheck every two weeks for sitting around doing nothing of value, and now it appears that your entire family is in the business of living off tax-payers.

mo34 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > @ kkent > > Nothing more hypocritical than a right-wing nut > working for big government. You complain all year > about taxes, Obama, big government, bla bla … > but you have no problem getting your tax-payer > funded paycheck every two weeks for sitting around > doing nothing of value, and now it appears that > your entire family is in the business of living > off tax-payers. Lol…BTW anyone else here working for the Feds?

mo34, I don’t work for the federal gov’t, genius. And my family is entirely Democrat. For a guy who basically stalks my posts, you sure as shoot don’t know much about me. I work for a private bank.

kkent Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > mo34, I don’t work for the federal gov’t, genius. > And my family is entirely Democrat. For a guy who > basically stalks my posts, you sure as shoot don’t > know much about me. I work for a private bank. Last time I checked you were working for FRE/FNM or one of those state lards (GSE).

Yeah, I was. I joined with a GSE before they collapsed while they were still private. I left in August 2009–one of 10 reasons was because they were now gov’t, which I didn’t want to be part of.

I am actually ex big 4 and just recently joined my current company. I applied for the fed job before starting my current one. How ethical is it to leave a job so soon (2 months(?

marcus phoenix Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I am actually ex big 4 and just recently joined my > current company. I applied for the fed job before > starting my current one. How ethical is it to > leave a job so soon (2 months(? They won’t like it too much, but on the other hand, if they felt like getting rid of you, I don’ t think they’d lose too much sleep over it.

No fights please…I was just looking for some tips from some ex/ current Fed employees.

a boring, mundane job you will have, but DC is a pretty cool city. Lots of good-looking international girls(also some absolutely horribly-looking white girls who work in the non-profit sector) and yupplies galore. People keep to themselves for the most part and networking is absolutely vital to build friendships and advancement in the workplace

wake2000 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > a boring, mundane job you will have, but DC is a > pretty cool city. Lots of good-looking > international girls(also some absolutely > horribly-looking white girls who work in the > non-profit sector) and yupplies galore. People > keep to themselves for the most part and > networking is absolutely vital to build > friendships and advancement in the workplace I am in internal audit, my friend so I am used to the boring and mundane. But what do you mean by “People keep to themselves for the most part” - any different from NYC?

I was looking at the differences from a city culture stand point. BTW are fed gigs really that dull? I heard conflicting statements.

I think marcus phoenix has already made his mind and will take the job.

Part-time Crook Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I think marcus phoenix has already made his mind > and will take the job. Well I am leaning towards it for the flex schedule, benefits, stability and the fact that I live in the suburbs of Philly right now.

Yeah I say take it too.

Part-time Crook Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Yeah I say take it too. Are you being facetious or is that your honest opinion?

wake2000 is correct. It’s almost contradictory, but while networking is vital in this area, people tend to be almost introverted or reclusive. Neighbors rarely talk, people keep small groups of friends, etc. This is a fairly unfriendly area, but compared to Philadelphia, you will think it is southern charm. I worked in Philadelphia (city of) for a summer. The 2 places don’t even compare. I moved back to D.C. ASAP and took a big pay cut to do so.