Job opportunity with the Feds in D.C.

Bankin’ what so you make of the opportunity?

kkent Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Yeah, it depends on your department. I know a guy > who just got promoted to GS-15 at the age of 31-33 > (in that range). I congratulated him on an > extraordinary accomplishment and he was like, > “well, it’s really easy in my department–half the > employees are GS-15.” My mother, on the other > hand, at DOT and OPM waited until she was 50 to > get a GS-15 because there were so very precious > few of them–a GS-15 was a full fledged upper > manager, while at my friend’s department, a GS-15 > was a standard employee. I hope thats like the CIA or something. Even then, thats a huge push. I remember reading somewhere in regards to the TSA. In 2007, only 1 employee was making 170k or 180k+. Today, almost 2000 employees are. For the amount of work most gov’t employees do along with their benefits, thats ridiculous. Getting this GS-15 at 50 is fine, but at 31 its crazy.

marcus phoenix Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Bankin’ what so you make of the opportunity? From your previous posts I think you’re a big gubmint guy, so a job with the gubmint seems appropriate. Having said that, I’m really not qualified to speak on it as I don’t know anyone in role comparable to your current role or your potential role. I will say that the people I know in the DC / VA area love it there.

Thanks

Great things about DC: crashing embassy parties, powerful people with whom to make connections, lots of good poker games (check out the Watergate, seriously). Cr@ppy things about DC: must wear a collar at all times (if the population is any indication), the Redskins, tourists. On another note, did ya notice SAIC was added to the S&P. Just saw that.

As good as the work/life balance, the pay and the benefits are in government, I could never do it. My girlfriend works for Social Security Administration and the stories she tells me are very agitating. Inefficiency and waste are the two things that the government does best.

eureka Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Cr@ppy things about DC: the > Redskins, > It depends on where in PA he’s coming from. Redskins fans are bad, but nothing is worse than Eagles fans. Yuck!

Bankin’ Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > eureka Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > > Cr@ppy things about DC: the > > Redskins, > > > > It depends on where in PA he’s coming from. > Redskins fans are bad, but nothing is worse than > Eagles fans. Yuck! Burbs of Philly…I am not originally from here though so sont care much for em.

Numi…do you have any golden words of advice?

Sorry, I wouldn’t want to lead you astray. I really don’t know much about the position you’re looking at, even though it’s pretty clear that you’re leaning towards taking the offer. If I were you, I’d spend some time going through the alumni directory, see which alumni at your school work there, and ask them for their candid assessments. They should be able to give you a much better opinion on how your opportunities fare against one another. Good luck.

TMurf Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > As good as the work/life balance, the pay and the > benefits are in government, I could never do it. > My girlfriend works for Social Security > Administration and the stories she tells me are > very agitating. Inefficiency and waste are the > two things that the government does best. +1. Although no one would mistake my gf’s mother for Einstein or numi, even she gets agitated on a daily basis with the sheer stupidity and bureaucracy she has to deal with as a federal worker. Basically negates the “quality of life” concept.

SMIRK Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > +1. Although no one would mistake my gf’s mother > for Einstein or numi, lol

Any other insights?

what else do you wanna hear? There has been some great insight on this thread with regard to the city itself and the tedious mundane bureaucratic nightmare that you will undertake working for the gobment.

wake2000 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > what else do you wanna hear? I guess marcus phoenix is ready to work for the Government’s bureaucracy: five days and 75 posts, yet he thinks he should wait for more information before making his mind. You’ll fit OK, dude.

Part-time Crook Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > wake2000 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > what else do you wanna hear? > > I guess marcus phoenix is ready to work for the > Government’s bureaucracy: five days and 75 posts, > yet he thinks he should wait for more information > before making his mind. You’ll fit OK, dude. This post. It’s so full of win.