job

I feel i’m already in a difficult situation. I have no goals, no standards to meet, I have a good salary. My main objectives are increases in revenues and profits, but… They fired dude so I could take over. I have 2 subordinates and the person teaching me is my subordinate who has only been there 6 mo. He’s not that bright, but he went to my alma mater, so I can’t give him too much crap. He looks up to me as I am 10 years older, but his knowledge of the business is little to none. I have learned how to use the systems in 2 days more than he has in 6 mo and today I pulled up a screen of May revenues , profits, costs, etc. and he was like, I’ve never seen that screen. wtf ? He also opted to take tomorrow off and its only my 3rd day there. I’m shadowing him. wtf is going on. I think i’m going to have a chat with the COO, but don’t want to give this dude too much crap as he is pretty green (new), but after a certain amount of time I need to put out or it will begin to look poorly on my abilities. I feel like i’m learning from a copy of a copy of a copy, whereas it begins to get blurry.

For the record, my friend, the COO, is really talented at managing the company. I had no idea. After seeing him in meetings, he runs the sh*t. He is just a different person when we go out, he is wild.

I’m almost thinking about asking to bring the guy they fired back to teach me for at least 4hrs/day. Its a lot of work in these specific systems for the industry and there are no training modules. Like overall, theres no chance I would get fired, but I hate not being productive. It irks me greatly.

honestly , i feel like i’m in the movie office space at this job - I can’t really complain as salary is pretty good, I know how much my subordinates make and I make more than them, but i’m just like sitting at the desk for hours and being reactive instead of proactive

talked with COO this morning - he gets it

lol exactly

Watchu complaining about? Some boss gave you a cushy job where you can do whatever the f you want in exchange for a handy, and you are complaining that there’s not enough hand holding. The truth is that most people create their own job in the organization, which is what you should be doing.

you’re always right ohai how can I be like you

do some equity research on your free time and some programming. then in few months put those on your resume because well you did do them in your job and jump ships left and right.

had a buddy who pulled this off. He was BO for few years at a bank but learned to model and learned to be proficient in ARGUS through online classes that cost an arm and a leg. 1 year later the dude landed a real estate PE job as a research analyst. not sure exactly how he pulled it off but he did it and i give him respect for it.

to start the process, you should get the charter…

good one

He surely lied through his teeth on his resume.

you think so? He did say through a connection he met through a networking event. I would assume the new employer would know about the lies pretty early on in the interview process. Whatever the method he got in and doing well.

Networking is so essential. So to be honest and to give a bit of background, I was looking at NYC and LA for positions. I figured I would hit up LA first for positions as I previously lived in NYC for a few years. I flew to LA five times this year for interviews. My last interview there I actually got to meet Neryblop. We had some food at some Peruvian place. Good times.

My background is mainly with the Department of Defense. I spent about 9 years in and around the DoD, with 4 years in management consulting for the DoD in corporate finance. I was interviewing in LA for another corporate finance position for a defense contractor. Well, things got heated, they sent out some sort of offer and I was about to take it. But, then my friend who is the COO of a company where I live in the southeast said how much will it take for you to stay here … I said definitely higher than X and he threw out a higher number than LA was offering me in a much lower cost city. This was last Monday at the bar. I was hammered. So me, being me, texted the hiring manager in LA and wastedly said ‘I got an offer for X’ can you match it? We texted 10-15 times back and forth for an hour. He said he would get back to me but never did. I’m still waiting on his offer match/bump. But, basically he couldn’t match it. I told him I’d take his offer if he could go higher. I was fairly professional in my wasted state. I checked the texts. So, I started on 6/12 at new position. Industry? Auto industry. I have zero experience in auto, but love the product. Yes. Auto. Its quite hilarious (please make fun of me) but I honestly just went for the money. The COO told me how much he makes and I’m just drawn to making a ton of cash. It is no sales and all I do is analytics for the whole company on salary, but already the environment is very interesting. I have a '16 grad as a subordinate from my alma mater, with the CEO being a '72 grad (military school). COO is ballin. CEO is ballin out of control and gave $10mm this year to B-School at alma mater. He also enjoys yachting and owns a 120 foot yacht. Is 120 feet yacht hacksaw - I don’t know? So yeah i’m in auto industry now just for the money. I have to say after a few days of examining profits and massive depreciation of assets, the industry is a bit odd. Also, people come up to my office and are like nice to meet you , x , y , and z, how long have you been in auto industry and i’m like since Monday. I’m a manager so they think i’m so well versed in stuff, but literally I know nothing except financial analysis and analytics. But, with that being said, the COO has confidence that I’m going to be key in increasing a) revenues b) profit c) volume Also, last Friday when I met with COO again at the bar (he goes out every night), I made it clear I wanted CFO and seat on the board. He said he should be able to make that happen if I put out. They already have a CFO but COO already fired one guy to make me a space.

lezzz do this

you ace when im down there ill hit you uImage result for tommy boy gifImage result for tommy boy gifImage result for tommy boy gif

haha Igor good times in NYC - I look forward to future endeavors

Above or below 35th parallel north?

Isaiah_53_5

thanks for the story. It was very interesting and got little excited lol. Good for you man. Always good to see good career moves especially from a fellow AF member because this place can get pretty muggy and cloudy real fast.

You are corporate finance manager/FP&A? I always thought that was a good career to have. What skills do one need to get that position?

yes, I am below the Mason-Dixon line currently