Join Marc LeFebvre, CFA for an Ask Me Anything (AMA) on Wed Jan. 12 at 3 pm EST

Marc some prep providers I’ve used in the past provide index or note cards for L3. Do you provide them too? What is the best way to master the material?

My slides fit two to a 8x11 page, top top bottom. They are in color and they have highlights and pictures etc that help with memory recall. Candidates use those as proxies for note cards. Plus they remember the slide much more than their own note cards due to the use of picture and color. It also saves massive amounts of time and lastly they said I doing a better job of covering the entire curriculum on the slide than they ever could.

Agree the old exams are no longer relevant.

Would you still offer virtual bootcamps or revert back to in person bootcamp? Last April, you had allowed candidates the recording of the bootcamp videos till the exam day, that actually helped immensely as i could go over them slowly and assimilate all the information. In person bootcamps have their own appeal, 4 days of rigorous grind in a classroom setting but by the fourth day I felt I was zoning out and could no longer concentrate properly and you cover derivatives and fixed income on the 3rd day evening / 4th day morning (the big dogs at L3) so in that sense the virtual bootcamp helped immensely

My product is called a BootCamp. Other review providers use the term reviews. Branding is key ;-). Besides that virtual is great as it keeps your costs lower, you can sleep in your own bed and see your family. Live has its benefits but here is the KEY…if the presenter (myself) can keep you focused for 4 days it doesn’t matter if its live of virtual and my candidates said the virtual worked pretty dang well and I never missed a beat. The other great thing is I am right there in front of you not 12 rows back next to a texting seat mate. Questions are easier to ask on line as well. All in all I’ve done over 15 virtual bootcamps since covid killed the live bootcamps.

2 Likes

LOL - thank you I like the analogy! I have a question on Exhibit 27 in R33 SS14 effects on bank insurer asset and liability volatility. I’ve been having a problem grasping these formulas and the subsequent BB8 and B9 mini cases. I had decided to purely memorize. Do you have any tips for these without me just memorizing? I would like to understand instead of just regurgitate.

Never memorize, that’s a huge error you can make for the L3 exam. That topic once grasped is easier than you might think. The whole problems stems from this…the traditional two asset class standard deviation adds the last part of the equation, in equation 9 they subtract the last part of the equation. Meaning that when bank assets and liabilities move together that’s a GOOD thing, banks want to match B/S assets and liabilities thus when the correlation is higher between the bank assets and the bank liabilities there is less volatility in the banks equity. In traditional portfolio mgt we want assets to be uncorrelated with one another to lower the portfolio volatility.

1 Like

A big thanks to Marc and everyone who participated in the AMA today. If you would like additional information on LevelUp Bootcamps, please visit their website at https://www.levelupbootcamps.com.