Just how bad is Operations?

It was 5 to 10 hours of OT. And it’s all true, but there’s really no point in arguing about it. I was hoping to show people who were not on the financial career standardized track that there are other options.

So, for those of us who think we would enjoy a career in Ops, what is the best way to go about getting in? Right now I work for a very small mutual fund dealer. I’m at the head office and act as an advisor’s assistant/analyst. I suppose half my job is analyzing client portfolios, the other half is ops related.

I could see myself enjoying a career in Ops as I enjoy that part of my current job. It does get tedious, but good co-workers would easily fix that. Do most companies have retention problems in ops as most people see it as a gateway to bigger things? And what types of things do recruiters look for when hiring?

My Ops guys have been around for years… so I think it really depends on the company. Our FO is respectful and friendly to our Ops. However, I have seen other banks where the Ops guys are treated like shit.

Also, despite what people tell you, you do need quite specific knowledge to work in Ops. Specifically, you should be familiar with industry standards for settlements and confirmations, and preferably have experience reconciling trades. For recruiters, I imagine that they will look for people who have experience that is similar to the job they are recruiting for.