Just to confirm - work experience

Do you really think that the CFAI wants to be in a situation where it has to make a subjective judgment about every single applicant’s years / quality of work experience?? There is no way in hell. The 4 year work experience is an absolute requirement. You either have 4 years of acceptable work experience or you don’t. You have to draw the line somewhere… welcome to the real world.

Forum Lurker Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Rick, > > Thanks for judging me, man. I’m happy to hear > that you think that I think that I am a pro > because I’m so clueless. In actuality I’m as > humble as can be. I don’t believe I’m king of the > world, just a regular dude try to move up in the > business and pay the bills. Maybe I can learn > something from other 20-somethings that have > booked up their four years of experience. It > doesn’t matter that that experience may have been > second rate. All that matters is reporting to > duty for four years. Afterall, once you hit four > years, you are able to strip away the shackles of > cluelessness, for that is when you officially have > a clue. Since I’m so clueless, I can’t wait! > > You guys can keep mouthing off. I think I’ll get > on the phone with all of my former classmates and > let them know that their education was worthless. > Oops, there’s that bachelor’s degree requirement > courtesy of the CFAI. The institute doesn’t seem > to think the bachelor’s was worthless. Apparently > that one is okay but the master’s is a major no > no. Sorry, I didn’t get the memo. And therein > lies the the hole in your argument. I’m done with > this thread. is this a serious post

I know that some designations (can’t think of them for now), will grant some time value for masters’ studies, even if it isn’t 1-1, so that two years of MBA might count for 1 year of work experience. Sort of like the drivers’ license requirements that demand you have some combination of documents that add up to some number of points, or the PRM giving you an exemption from certain examinations if you have the CFA charter. I’m all for the idea that doing studies isn’t exactly equivalent to doing “real-world” work, but if the idea is that real-world experience means you know more about business challenges than the average Joe, I am surprised that CFAI doesn’t give *any* credit for something like an MBA, particularly since it’s not a prerequisite for the charter. It’s not as if someone could get 48 months of work experience credited because they were a full time MBA student for 8 years.

After seeing some of the people in my office that have “masters” I am suprised they dont subtract experience from you for having one.

MoneyMan_CFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > After seeing some of the people in my office that > have “masters” I am suprised they dont subtract > experience from you for having one. And then i just realized just how old of message i just replied to…smooth.

Forum Lurker - Rick Let’s quit the name calling PEOPLE! We’re suppose to be professionals. The fact of the matter is being granted the CFA is not your golden ticket, it’s what you do with it that matters. So to be fair to Forum Lurker - although I don’t agree about your case for MBA years to experience, your IVY league grad will probably perform better or contribute more in this industry that Joe Average. Isn’t this what matters in the end, as oppose to collecting just the letters?