Kaplan left me unprepared!

MFIN— Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Indeed I am, but not to tell someone off lol just > to see what is said > > anyway, i’ll log off…but my ‘douchebag’ toughts > remain intact and you’ll experience much more of > it if you get into finance Good, see you later!

+1 No excuses. This test is hard and well thought of, and requires a ton of hard work and dedication. I don’t want anyone who is a slacker and then blames the preparation materials for their bad judgement to pass. There’s a low pass rate for this test, and that rate is even lower for someone to complete all 3 levels. No one ever said this would be easy. As far as I’m concerned, if you blindly relied on what Schweser told you would be considered “important” and ignored the rest, then that tells me you were being lazy. You are supposed to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. I’m not saying you aren’t going to pass - anything’s possible. But if you do fail, that would be exactly what I think you deserve. MFIN— Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > We may be ‘douchebags’ for sounding harsh… but > welcome to the real world… > I like helping those who work hard, but not for > people who are going to complain constantly or > don’t use common sense. > > Finance is a stressful career, and if you don’t > show results you’re out…that’s why I love it; > good competition among those who love it too… > > Alot of you guys remind me of those students in > university who would go complain to the professor > that the exam was ‘not fair’ > > I love people who truly put the hard work and > dedication in this designation…I don’t want > slackers or morons to be able to pass… > > go ahead, trash talk to me all you want lol… > after all, it is the internet

spartanag07 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > +1 > > No excuses. > > This test is hard and well thought of, and > requires a ton of hard work and dedication. I > don’t want anyone who is a slacker and then blames > the preparation materials for their bad judgement > to pass. There’s a low pass rate for this test, > and that rate is even lower for someone to > complete all 3 levels. No one ever said this would > be easy. > > As far as I’m concerned, if you blindly relied on > what Schweser told you would be considered > “important” and ignored the rest, then that tells > me you were being lazy. You are supposed to > prepare for the worst and hope for the best. I’m > not saying you aren’t going to pass - anything’s > possible. But if you do fail, that would be > exactly what I think you deserve. The only point I am trying to make is this . . . What do you think is more important in the real world, being able to solve a complex hypergrowth DDM or being able to tell someone what the definition of that is?

They’re not mutually exclusive - both are quite important. The definition should be a slam dunk if you fully understood the model/theory.

MFIN— Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > We may be ‘douchebags’ for sounding harsh… but > welcome to the real world… > I like helping those who work hard, but not for > people who are going to complain constantly or > don’t use common sense. > > Finance is a stressful career, and if you don’t > show results you’re out…that’s why I love it; > good competition among those who love it too… > > Alot of you guys remind me of those students in > university who would go complain to the professor > that the exam was ‘not fair’ > > I love people who truly put the hard work and > dedication in this designation…I don’t want > slackers or morons to be able to pass… > > go ahead, trash talk to me all you want lol… > after all, it is the internet As horrible as this does sound, it’s not too far from the truth. The only areas of finance that are measly and easy would somewhere like back office in operations or controllers etc. If you want to get into the big cheese like hedge funds, equity research, asset mgmt, PE etc… it’s a damn competitive world, and you better have thick skin to take it. Try telling a trader that the markets are unfair or whine to a charterholder the test is unfair, and prepare to get laughed at. Everyone is shedding the same blood in the same mud, and those who can outperform land ahead. If you want a cushy happy simple life, don’t do finance. Be a school teacher or something

i also appeared in cfa L1 last sunday…is there any sectional cut off in cfa or d only total marks matters (or is there any exception for only ethics section to hav cut off)…i didn’t find any concrete proof of this…plz sum1 enlighten me…

greengrape Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > MFIN— Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > We may be ‘douchebags’ for sounding harsh… > but > > welcome to the real world… > > I like helping those who work hard, but not for > > people who are going to complain constantly or > > don’t use common sense. > > > > Finance is a stressful career, and if you don’t > > show results you’re out…that’s why I love it; > > good competition among those who love it too… > > > > Alot of you guys remind me of those students in > > university who would go complain to the > professor > > that the exam was ‘not fair’ > > > > I love people who truly put the hard work and > > dedication in this designation…I don’t want > > slackers or morons to be able to pass… > > > > go ahead, trash talk to me all you want lol… > > after all, it is the internet > > > As horrible as this does sound, it’s not too far > from the truth. The only areas of finance that are > measly and easy would somewhere like back office > in operations or controllers etc. > > If you want to get into the big cheese like hedge > funds, equity research, asset mgmt, PE etc… it’s > a damn competitive world, and you better have > thick skin to take it. > > Try telling a trader that the markets are unfair > or whine to a charterholder the test is unfair, > and prepare to get laughed at. Everyone is > shedding the same blood in the same mud, and those > who can outperform land ahead. > > If you want a cushy happy simple life, don’t do > finance. Be a school teacher or something ^^^^^^^ So true. If I would have said the original post verbatim to my coworkers they would have lost a ton of respect for me.

I used Schweser only for Levels I and II and passed them both on the first try. Let’s not play the blame game.

Schweser is excellent for Level I in my opinion. I crammed big time for level I (4 weeks) and the Qbank, concept checker questions, and mocks were all excellent. Schweser isn’t as good for Level II, but it’s still more than sufficient. I didn’t study as much as I should’ve for level II (waiting for the results) and I made a few careless errors, but those mistakes weren’t Schweser’s fault (actually, Schweser notes covered those questions), they were entirely due to my carelessness. If I fail level II, it’d be my fault–I would use Schweser again for level II without a doubt. That said, you might find other guides better (Stalla, etc.).

Used pretty much on ly Schweser for LI and got a 70+ on each section. Used it agai nfor LII (with a bit of CFAI), and am awaiting results. I felt more than prepared for it, and like others here, if i did not pass its my own fault. Def not Schwesers fault, they did a great job. That said, each person learns differently. Schweser does take out some of the fluff, so if you have less of a background it might be a little harder to follow. Then again, CFAI is so long winded that its hard to follow too. In the end, everyone has different ways of learning. I wouldnt say Shweser did a bad job. Its possible Schweser is just not good for your style of learning. Anyways, I wish everyone the best of luck with their results! Take a breather and enjoy summer!

spartanag07 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > They’re not mutually exclusive - both are quite > important. The definition should be a slam dunk if > you fully understood the model/theory. OMG … That example wasn’t the point. It is a derivative of the point I am trying to make.

To JohnnyBuz, RobJames1984, and to anyone who felt Level 1 was too hard with just Schweser my advice to you is to quit now. This just isn’t for you, and honestly it will only get worse. Level I was a breeze to me, but Level II comes out swinging. You really have no business here unless you just want to line the CFAI’s pockets imo.

MissCleo Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > To JohnnyBuz, RobJames1984, and to anyone who felt > Level 1 was too hard with just Schweser my advice > to you is to quit now. This just isn’t for you, > and honestly it will only get worse. Level I was a > breeze to me, but Level II comes out swinging. You > really have no business here unless you just want > to line the CFAI’s pockets imo. I don’t think it was too hard. I actually thought it was relatively straightforward, I think you’ve missed the point a little bit. But thanks for your comments, you genius you.

johnnyBuz Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > I consider myself to have above-average > intelligence and a pretty solid understanding of > basic finance (BS Finance undergrad). Even with > all the time I put in I still didn’t feel entirely > confident. > hahahahaahaha

sgupta0827 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I think this thread has become battleground to > take out frustration after the exam. I don’t know > if this is going to make any difference as good > number of people are still going to use Schweser > as preparation material in spite of the fact that > some people are expressing very negative views > about them. the people who are posting negative reviews about Schwesser / Stalla simply didnt study enough. its just a lot easier for them to blame someone else than look in the mirror and say “its my fault” to each is own

You CFA geniuses sure have terrible reading comprehension. Enjoy crunching numbers in a cube somewhere as you clearly don’t have the reading skills nor the soft-skills necessary to get further ahead. This is becoming ad nauseum, but for about the 10th or 11th time, I didn’t think the exam was difficult. Try reading the thread first before spewing your doucheness.

Some folks need to chill. I dont think the OP was blaming kaplan per se. No test prep can prepare anyone for a test that will throw in random trivia questions. But all do a decent job at teaching broad stroke concepts and computations.

The OP basically said the test was unfair. “it’s just everything I considered difficult or important did not seem to be on the test” life is not fair. especially the CFA exams. I think that’s what a lot of the people criticizing him are getting at. At the end, if your score is low, it means you got a bunch of questions wrong, which people also criticize. Don’t try to guess what’s on the exam next time. It’s a big gamble.

I can understand the high expectation and disappointment about possible result after several months’ hard working. There is big difference between Kaplan’s practice exams \ mock exams and CFA real exam. When we take CFAI’s mock exam or sample exam, we should already realize this. If thousands of people have passed it (especially L1) simply with Kaplan or even without any third party material and we could not, it’s obviously not others’ fault. Just take a lesson and keep going if really want it.

johnnyBuz Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > You CFA geniuses sure have terrible reading > comprehension. Enjoy crunching numbers in a cube > somewhere as you clearly don’t have the reading > skills nor the soft-skills necessary to get > further ahead. > > This is becoming ad nauseum, but for about the > 10th or 11th time, I didn’t think the exam was > difficult. Try reading the thread first before > spewing your doucheness. Your first post stated that you did not feel entirely confident. Now you are saying you didn’t think the exam was difficult. So you believe it’s there is a 50% chance you’ll fail an easy exam, and you want to blame Schweser? FWIW, L1 is a complete joke compared to L2