Kerviel gets 3 years

FrankArabia Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > not sure if i can feel sorry for this guy. on the > one hand, he is a thief, on the other hand he was > working for bigger thieves. not sure if you guys saw this, but SocGen has just rolled that 4.9b into a CDO aptly named the ‘WWJKDDO,’ an acronym for ‘When Will Jérôme Kerviel Default on this Debt Obligation?’ Underwriters include SocGen, BNP and Banco Santander.

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > The French have always been > much better at orchestrating symbolic gestures > than making sense. The only reason they’re still > working through this crisis is because they > haven’t figured out who they can surrender to yet. Quote of the week right here.

Black Swan Wrote: The French have always been > much better at orchestrating symbolic gestures > than making sense. The only reason they’re still > working through this crisis is because they > haven’t figured out who they can surrender to yet. Somehow you don’t see threads involving France on american forums that don’t at some point start bashing. And everybody always cheer. It’s really annoying. Why is it also that ignorant Americans always point out that France surrendered in WWII ? France, like many countries, have fought many wars *on their home soil* and inevitably lost some. The just happened to lose the last big one. Sucks to be them. In fact, France has a pretty glorious military history in sum. I was in Paris these last two days. I think Paris, with Rome, are leaps and leaps above the rest of the western civilisation in terms of culture and sophistication. And no, I am not French. I am just noticing that while it’s always fun to bash the French, you can’t make a comment on Jews, Muslims, Blacks, etc. without having everybody climbing up the curtains.

its because france sucks. they got the US into vietnam, too.

Viceroy, Agree with you on Paris and French culture. NY is like garbage ditch in comparison

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/1276435–trader-hit-with-7b-fine-jail-term-for-record-trading-fraud

To borrow from my elementary school French lessons: “Zut, alors!!!”

Speaking of sentencing, that Gupta guy got two years eh?

Rajat Gupta is worth about $120 million, apparently. Who knows how much of this was amassed through unethical behavior. Maybe 2 years + $5 million fine is worth it?

They’ve imposed the fine so that they can claim back any money he might make on a book/movie deal/paid inverviews, etc. They’re not trying to crucify him, they just don’t want him being another Nick Leeson who’s made loads from his book, movie, and speaking tour deals. Otherwise it incentivises blowing up your bank.

Rogue Trader was a great movie.

Is the Mob hiring? Seriously. How do you get a job with the mob? Frankie the Muscle, CFA?

In 26 weeks, I might be sending my resume to the Mafia.

Help me out with some ‘bulletpoints’. thanks…

Check the movie Donnie Brasco. Good pointers on how to get in.