L3 providers: Wiley vs KS

Went with Wiley and hope that I passed level III. Found it quite ok and prepared me well for the exam (in terms of percentages in mock exams).

But the other guy is right. There were a couple of mistakes, even in some Formulars provided. Sometimes a bit confusing,but managable.

If I should have failed I will nevertheless use Wiley again, and this is not just because of the until you pass guarantee

None of the above. I highly recommend using LevelUp Bootcamps and videos. Marc TEACHES directly from the curriculum. If you want to learn the material and be as prepared as possible to pass the exam- go to LevelUp.

I agree with you. I got a terrible experience using Wiley for my L2.

Its material and mock have calculation errors, my feedback had no response. WIley has no well-established Qbank and practices.

Luckily, I switched to KS and passed L2.

I only studied Kaplan Schweser’s material for my CFA level 3 exams and I did all their mock exams. In addition, I also did 10 years of CFA mock AM exams, these materials can be easily downloaded online btw.

I did not touch CFA material at all. I know that a lot of people said that we should at least do their end of chapter or blue boxes questions. However, I feel that they were too lengthy and not straight to the point. Schweser has a much better and faster way of driving a point across in my opinion.

I firmly believe that Schweser and 10 years of mock exam are more than enough because I was able to solve every single question in the AM paper. In the PM paper, I only were not able to solve one MCQ question, however, that was because I accidentally mixed up the components of the formula. Apart from that, I could solve the other 59 questions.

Hence I think it should work.

One of my friends, who is not on these forums but has passed Level 3, has also independently told me that the CFAI materials are more important at Level 3 than they are at Levels 1 and 2 (where she used KS). That does give me a reason to think about using KS.

I do prefer KS books to CFAI though. They were fantastic for Level 1 and solid for Level 2 (they definitely omitted some topics that I had to supplement). I am probably going to still use KS, and supplement as needed, but I haven’t completely decided yet.

Also, the time to start studying is tricky. I began around Valentines Day for Level 1, and around mid-March for Level 2. When I hear people saying they start in September, it definitely throws off my plans.

Dude you were the one if I remember correctly who finished 2017 AM exam in 1 hour 45 minutes right? Your results will surely be the most awaited one here! You may create history by scoring above 70 in all 10 topics in AM session :slight_smile: I haven’t heard/seen anyone yet with that matrix in Level III AM. All the very best!

Hahaha…I remember when, in panic, 2 days before exam was learning 2 BBs from official curriculum for risk management for individuals which have not been covered by Schweser at all. However, I can prove Schweser is good but not sufficient for L3, imo. One should practice hardly CFAI EOCs in 1st phase (not Schweser ones) and previous AMs and portal topics in second phase and, in the fly, for each and any part which is not fully clear, repeat this concept from CFAI curriculum. While on L1 and L2 as well as on PM part of L3 you may take educational guessing and you have enough time for brainstorming, this is not the case with AM whereas each wasted minute might be crucial.

Unfortunatly, CFAI only has Pass or Not Pass

If this is true, it would sway me in favor of Wiley.

Daren knows L3 very well and can distil the curriculum into its more testable components. You will pick up several points on the exam from his sound bites and “red flags” alone.

One should note, Wiley are highly geared towards preparing you for the AM portion of the exam. Be careful not to neglect the PM.

Curious to know exactly what was on the exam you couldn’t have answered correctly with KS? I know of one but even CFAI explanation was not helpful. A lot of us had issues with it.

Haha don’t worry. Whether it is for the worse or the better, I will definitely post my results. Haha

Still uncomfirmed though. More details over the coming months. Hoping that’s the case, otherwise I may consider LevelUp videos or KS.

I think you should strongly consider LevelUp. The materials and quality of the video are second to none in my opinion. I used KS for L1 and L2. Marc has a way of teaching the curriculum without taking shortcuts but still making it manageable. This is critical as candidates have discussed KS not covering certain exam material. He also taught at KS for many years. If nothing else, reach out to him directly and I think you’ll see the difference.

I am, just holding out to 8/8 to hear more from the outgoing L3 crew… a little hesitant about the ~$1200 price tag for the videos to be honest.

That’s understandable on the price. I believe Marc is taking on the big guys and knows he can’t compete with suboptimal quality. In my opinion it was worth it- the quality of video, slidebook, and teaching. I may not pass 8/8 but I was prepared for the exam. More so than Level 1 or Level 2 when I prepared with KS. some people with pass with KS, IFT, no 3rd party provider or with LevelUp. Based on my experience, I felt it gave me the best chance of passing.

Your unsolicited pitch for LevelUp is compelling no doubt… will definitely be considering Marc. Appreciate your insights!

Edit: Do you by chance know how many hours of video comes with the package?

I do not. It was too many for me to make another round with them the last 5 weeks before the exam as I think better time spent at that point was working on exams and blue boxes. Some topics are quite long- ~3hrs while others were short (GIPS I believe was less than 2 hours). This is something I’m sure Marc would answer for you.

I think IFT videos are the best

I’ll reach out to him then, thanks!

Black mamba I reached out to Marc he was a nice chap and responded directly.

ive gone for IFT in the end as Arif’s videos are excellent and were great for L2. He also follows the curriculum examples. I’ve read from many sources that is essay primer videos and the crash course for the last months revisiOn where he solves all past papers are second to none.

it was much cheaper but the quality is still excellent