L3 - should I attempt retake in 2010 - Q for women

I don’t have any advice for the poster but I will say that I have trememdous respect for anyone who manages to make it through or even attempt the exams with kids. I don’t have any kids and my wife is really understanding and it was still extremely difficult to find time to study. My hat is off to all of you.

As a male that just passed and has a 10 month old, I would encourage you to keep going at it, especially if you are close. Maybe you can start doing a light read between now and November. My experience was the following last year. September—market crashed October 14—daughter born December 11—moved brokerage firms March----really started studying. Although I was not fully focused between October 14th and March, I did something to review some of the material. I would recommend a combination of the videos, audio CDs, and flashcards…and do some light studying when you have time…these are things you can do if you have 30 minutes here and there. I am sure your husband will support you either way, and look at it this way, what’s the worst thing that can happen. Would waiting to go back to work full time until June 8th work also? Best of luck with the baby and your quest to obtain the charter

It depends on your work experience. If you have 48 months of approved work experience and if L3 exam is the only thing thats holding you up from getting the charter, give it a try. Else, Take it easy and have fun with your baby.

I am sorry but no you should not do it. I was signed up for my L2 and pregnant. Realised that I couldn’t put the stress of studying on the baby. So when he was 7months I started again. That was hard but manageable. I can tell you now though that having a newborn baby and studying all hours would be too much for you: you need to spend that time with your baby and the exam can wait another yr. Having a newborn is exhausting boht physically and mentally I just think you would be putting way too much pressure on yourself. You really want to enjoy having your baby for a bit because they grow up so fast. Also when would you study? if you are on maternity leave you wont find a spare min in the day to do it. If you are still keen then wait until you have your baby and then see if you are up to it to register for the l3 deadline.

You need to figure out what works for you. Everyone is different. I started in 2000 pre-kids and aced every section on L1. I was very pregnant for L2 and it was downhill from there (took 2 years off). I finally just passed L3 this year and I can assure you no one appreciates it more than I do. I work full time and have 3 kids-age 7 and under. Men may disagree with this statement but the only way a woman can pass the CFA is if they have help. Men w/kids who pass have a wife who will dutifully do their laundry, watch the kids for hours on end, make meals, clean and care for the house, and run everything smoothly so he can just focus on studying. Women need the equivalent. If your husband can’t/won’t do it (like mine) you have to find someone else who will help. Otherwise, you are wasting your time and will kill your self trying. Being able to study at work also helps tremendously. When I woke up, stopped trying to be superwoman, and got the help I needed-I was able to pass L2 and L3.

Never thought that I can associate word ’ CUTE’ with anything arnd AF/CFA but some of the posts above are simply too CUTE hhhhhmmmmm…apart from robots…few human are out there too