Law School education bubble

Good point. Too many people think getting a designation is some sort of panacea and they are then entitled to a good job. I had that delusion when I went through CPA. It’s much more about character and work ethic than passing some tests.

I think people are really loosing site on the entire point of education. Generally, its suppose to make you more intelligent/better skilled/knowledgeable/etc… IMO, the CFA, Ph.D, JD, etc… represents potential, but if you want to make $$$ then you need to show you can actually produce some results.

^ agreed; we don’t want a society full of troglodytes…! Maybe we already have one…

The last CFA meeting I went to, there was a guy with the following credentials all after his name on his business card: MBA, CFA, FRM, CIA, CFE, CM&AA, CAIA, and a couple of others. Guess what? He was unemployed. And he wonders why.

thommo77 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > The last CFA meeting I went to, there was a guy > with the following credentials all after his name > on his business card: > > MBA, CFA, FRM, CIA, CFE, CM&AA, CAIA, and a couple > of others. > > Guess what? He was unemployed. And he wonders > why. No kidding, you don’t need to be an attention whore! If he gives the impression in an interview he should be running the place, who’s gonna wanna hire him?

thommo77 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > The last CFA meeting I went to, there was a guy > with the following credentials all after his name > on his business card: > > MBA, CFA, FRM, CIA, CFE, CM&AA, CAIA, and a couple > of others. > > Guess what? He was unemployed. And he wonders > why. He dosen’t have the CPA, thats why.

thommo77 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > The last CFA meeting I went to, there was a guy > with the following credentials all after his name > on his business card: > > MBA, CFA, FRM, CIA, CFE, CM&AA, CAIA, and a couple > of others. > > Guess what? He was unemployed. And he wonders > why. No matter what ordering you pick, you’re gonna piss someone off!

marcus phoenix Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > He dosen’t have the CPA, thats why. Seriously, among the listed degree and certifications, none is required to perform a duty. CPA license is required to perform a certain duty. Here is my take: If one likes to conquer exams, then she should go for FSA, and if the one wants something that makes her more employable, then she should go for CPA. BTW, the person with all those certifications looks good for a portfolio management position. (shrug)

thommo77 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > MBA, CFA, FRM, CIA, CFE, CM&AA, CAIA, and a couple > of others. I wonder what the combined annual dues are on all of those. That’s gotta be ruthless.

Putting MBA after your name on a business card is WEIRD.

^ It’s the norm in Canada.

Thoughts on going to a top 50 Law School vs. free ride at a 3rd tier Law School?

wazzle Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Thoughts on going to a top 50 Law School vs. free > ride at a 3rd tier Law School? its all about the network. if you can get a job out of the third tier then go for it.

Err… what is your definition of “third tier”? I would argue that attending the #50 law school is a money losing investment.

Was looking here. http://www.top-law-schools.com/rankings.html

Ok, I take that back. Some of the 30 to 50-ish schools are actually quite ok (depending, of course, on what your alternatives are).

As far as I know, top 14 schools are a national power house, and as you go down the rank, a region becomes more relevant than a rank. For example, local law firms(including a big name law firm regional office) prefer 50th ranked local school to 30-ish to 40-ish ranked non-local schools. However, going to a 3rd tier law school over one of the top 50 school for free ride doesn’t sound like a wise decision.

I’m an avid reader of TLS. Here’s there take on it: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=143622

marcus phoenix Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > thommo77 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > The last CFA meeting I went to, there was a guy > > with the following credentials all after his > name > > on his business card: > > > > MBA, CFA, FRM, CIA, CFE, CM&AA, CAIA, and a > couple > > of others. > > > > Guess what? He was unemployed. And he wonders > > why. > > > He dosen’t have the CPA, thats why. lol

pacmandefense Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m an avid reader of TLS. Here’s there take on > it: > http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.ph > p?f=2&t=143622 their