Leave work for full time study?

How bad is (explainable) unemployment after graduating college undergrad?

In this climate, I don’t think anybody will automatically rule a job candidate out because they are unemployed because they have just graduated and not been able to find anything (yet). However, if a candidate I was interviewing had left a job out of his/her own free will, and only had “studying for the CFA” to show for their time off, I would consider that a negative. Now if someone left their job and went and did somehting like peace corp work in the third world for a year, because it was something they needed to do… well, that would be a lot different to me. I guess all I mean is if you really want to leave your job because it is brain-dead/uninspiring/going nowhere that may be OK, just have a very good plan of how to fill the time that will play well during those future interviews!

i agree, it will be a red flag on your resume if you quit / take time off to just study. sucks, but its part of the game. improvise, implement, and conquer.

Ed.Markovich Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > What everyone told you is correct. Resume > reviewers may give someone a few points for the > CFA but not enough for the massive hit you’re > going to get for having gaps in your employment > history. > > In fact, as someone who reviews resumes often, I > believe the pattern is: > > Grad School/CFA while working = go-getter, > committed to improving himself, good time > management. > > Grad School/CFA instead of work history = > professional student, doesn’t want to work, > impractical. > > I bet I am not the only one who sees it this way. This is basically what co’s see when they look at candidates.

amjf088 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > In this climate, I don’t think anybody will > automatically rule a job candidate out because > they are unemployed because they have just > graduated and not been able to find anything > (yet). > > However, if a candidate I was interviewing had > left a job out of his/her own free will, and only > had “studying for the CFA” to show for their time > off, I would consider that a negative. > I do have a good plan to building job related capabilities relevant to my previous experience (intern at small cap/micro cap HF ER) that’s better than passing the CFAs…and I’m currently working on it along with CFA on the side. It’s just that it’s going take more time and there’s a time gap. It’s the time gap that I’m worried about…I have a story that’s industrious and logical but sometimes I’m pretty concerned that future employers will have problems “getting it” or accepting that I took time off to build relevant economically valuable skills.