Level II 2009

Dinesh and Jalmy, are we still on for tonight at starbucks, I’m going to be in the city anyways so I thought it might be worth it.

I already FAILED, caspian. Got this news 2 days ago… still in the process of digesting the loss.

Dinesh & Bannisja…wait till Tue, I’d be very surprised if you don’t make it. In case you don’t, lets crack this sucker in '09. After a 6 month hiatus, I am raring to go.

i’m glad i found out this weekend. i was pretty upset yesterday but now am for the most part over it. glad i got to do it on my time during the weekend and not at work. so thank you CFAI for messing up because it did soften the blow a bit to not have to “deal” at work. i bet L2 overall pass rate… 42%. enjoy the SBUX everyone- swanny gets the smooth blend and you 2 get the bitter blend, order has been decided.

I’m finding it difficult to believe that dinesh didn’t pass with 77 and 81 on his mock exams. If (and I mean if - we don’t know yet) he did fail, then it’s not for a lack of knowledge of the material. His mock scores prove that. That only leaves a brain melt on exam day - something that won’t happen next time because he’ll throw away his notes 3 days before the exam and relax - ensuring that he can translate all that knowledge he has into a big fat pass.

I really don’t understand all these tears about failing level 2. As already has been said 1000 times before it’s not the CFA designation determines your future and prospects but your character and innate abilities.

For those of you that did not see the LIII link, did you feel confident going into it? I just heard about this alledged CFA gaffe and did not have a chance to check the link. I am a repeater and it is not tough. Still don’t know if I passed but I learned a lot more this time around and even if I did not pass I am better for having studied for it twice.

bannisja Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > dinesh- if you do fail, it prob will be in band > 10. you started later than most and you went > HARDCORE for about 3 months. that is painful on > the body and mind. relax, chill if you do fail > it, but sign up again and you best come back in > december or january and tackle this thing again. > it’d be a shame for you to not do it again. > you’re a smart guy and it’s admirable to get that > passionate about something. you went hardcore > man. you’ll do it again and you’ll pass it (if > you don’t pass tomorrow which i’d still be pretty > shocked if you didn’t). > > pimpin- if this is the most painful moment in your > life, i envy you. your life has been easy, be > thankful. having a family member get cancer, for > example, is painful. this is just a 1 year > setback that in the long run will actually ensure > that you learn and understand this material > better. keep it relative. i know, sounds cheesy > and stupid, but really… we’ll get there but it’s > going to take a lot more hard work. i for one am > ready for the challenge, plan to start early, and > will take a pretty relaxed approach until about > january and then kick it into high gear. this is > more a blow to my level of discipline than my > intellectual ego. i knew what this test required > and I gave this go about a 3/4 effort. not good > enough. Just to clarify i meant this is the most painful moment in my academic life …of course it doesnt compare to losing a loved one or finding out ur friend has cancer …|I would never imply that

I fully understand the tears. I don’t want to have wasted all those evenings and weekends for no purpose. I want to be able to put CFA on my CV as soon as possible. Failing puts that back a year. I don’t want to have to do foreign currency translation ever. again. I don’t want to wait for our lives to be over. I want to know right know what will it be. I don’t want to wait for our lives to be over. Will it be yes or will it be Sorreee?

chrismaths Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m finding it difficult to believe that dinesh > didn’t pass with 77 and 81 on his mock exams. delhirocks Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Dinesh & Bannisja…wait till Tue, I’d be very > surprised if you don’t make it. I also remember trading questions with dinesh and bannisja going up until the exam. You guys definitely know your stuff there is no doubt about that. I personally learned a lot from our exchanges and reading your posts helped me tremendously. However, reality check. When we recreated many of the questions on the exam, I distinctly remember both of you expressing doubts on your overall exam performance. The fact is that these exams don’t test you on what you study, but on little minor details that many candidates miss. Whether you are well prepared or not, some of it just comes down to luck on what they test. I really hope that both of you passed, but this whole early results business may just be confirming what you already knew. Had you been confident after the test, I would doubt whether the links are accurate indicators, but I recall that neither of you felt good afterwards.

"The fact is that these exams don’t test you on what you study, but on little minor details that many candidates miss. Whether you are well prepared or not, some of it just comes down to luck on what they test. " You know, I said this last year and was FLAMED for insinuating that a portion of your chances of passing had to do with external factors rather than internal. That being said, I repeat that some percentage of your chances of passing lies with them asking you questions that you hit. Last year, it seems a lot of people didnt study FF and intrinsic PE and those topics, and hence they missed the two questions on that subject. I knew it and got them right (but still didnt pass). This year, for me, I tried to rectify my poor showing in stats by going heavily at every possible part of the topic and thus, I was totally prepared for the statistics section because I did not overlook the more basic information. I went 5/6 I believe wheras other people dismissed this information in light of focusing on time series. Now, am I better at stats than some of those people? No fucking way, but they asked me something I happened to focus on while other people overlooked it. THus, my chances of passing are higher because they did NOT ask time series.

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Dinesh and Jalmy, are we still on for tonight at > starbucks, I’m going to be in the city anyways so > I thought it might be worth it. Sorry BS, I don’t feel like going out. Are you coming next week?? … I would have love to met and discuss what’s in for tomorrow, now that we already know what’s ‘in’ for tomorrow, I would get more and more depressed for losing a year. Sorry bro, hope you can understand. And you have a Blast, Congrats again!

Caspain, I know I’m usually involved with flaming, so I hope it wasn’t me. But if it was, I apologize and agree with you now. Although as a minor detail, I have always stated that passing often comes down to who gets asked the right questions.

chrismaths Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If (and I mean if - we don’t know yet) he did > fail, then it’s not for a lack of knowledge of the > material. His mock scores prove that. That only > leaves a brain melt on exam day - something that > won’t happen next time because he’ll throw away > his notes 3 days before the exam and relax - > ensuring that he can translate all that knowledge > he has into a big fat pass. You are correct chrismaths! Thought I felt pretty prepared before going IN the exam, the story changed in those 6 yrs (I failed to perform in those most imp 6 yrs - which mattered the most). Hope I still make it big some day on the street without this CFA too…

Dwight Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > chrismaths Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I’m finding it difficult to believe that dinesh > > didn’t pass with 77 and 81 on his mock exams. > > delhirocks Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Dinesh & Bannisja…wait till Tue, I’d be very > > surprised if you don’t make it. > > > I also remember trading questions with dinesh and > bannisja going up until the exam. You guys > definitely know your stuff there is no doubt about > that. I personally learned a lot from our > exchanges and reading your posts helped me > tremendously. > > However, reality check. When we recreated many of > the questions on the exam, I distinctly remember > both of you expressing doubts on your overall exam > performance. The fact is that these exams don’t > test you on what you study, but on little minor > details that many candidates miss. Whether you > are well prepared or not, some of it just comes > down to luck on what they test. > > I really hope that both of you passed, but this > whole early results business may just be > confirming what you already knew. Had you been > confident after the test, I would doubt whether > the links are accurate indicators, but I recall > that neither of you felt good afterwards. Dwight as always with his very accurate analysis. I really felt bad after coming out of the exam hall. Well partially it was because I did not see those 12 Time Series questions… which I had betted my life on… So basically, started on the wrong foot and got myself graveyard’ed!

delhirocks Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Dinesh & Bannisja…wait till Tue, I’d be very > surprised if you don’t make it. > > In case you don’t, lets crack this sucker in '09. > After a 6 month hiatus, I am raring to go. delhirocks - you giving it this year… daam, this forum is going to be fun place to hang around… count cpk123 in… he is waiting for his 120/120 at this level too…

Swanny: I’m getting my wisdom teeth pulled in…exactly 2 hours and 24 minutes. Tomorrow is gona be one hell of a crappy day. Can’t even drink…we’ll, I dont know for sure about that… Anyway, we’ll meet up soon.

"Caspain, I know I’m usually involved with flaming, so I hope it wasn’t me. But if it was, I apologize and agree with you now. " Swan, if I recall correctly, you were one of the people who “Saw things my way” after the actually exam, no? Ive had a few people Im me or tell me on the boards that they thought I was just a disgruntled failer from last year, but after taking the exam themselves, they saw some of the things I was talking about…like this.

Hi Dinesh, Like others, I would be shocked if you don’t clear this exam tomorrow. If you don’t, it would be just a bad luck. All of us know about your level of knowledge and your Mock scores prove this point. Judging from your comments it would probably be first setback in your academic life (which I assume till now has been really good). I wish and pray that you clear this exam but it would be shame if you quit this program.

I wasn’t on Analyst Forum long enough. I knew about this site 3-4 days before Level 2 exam in June. But a lot of people on this thread who posted that you are failing are very smart people. I hate to say this to you. But take it in a positive way. People …It isn’t over unless results come in tomorrow. After that also, if you can afford it, and you are in Band 10, go for a retabulation of the result. Please Don’t think negative. Keep your positive attitude. You have to control the controllables and keep a positive attitude through negative outcomes, negative surprises, frustrations in routine stuff etc. Keeping your ATTITUDE positive when negative events happen is the biggest difference in the long term between people who succeed easily and those who don’t in the long term, all else being equal. Promise your self to stay positive, expect positive. You are smart people, you can go a long way by building a robust attitude. Good luck to all of us friends :slight_smile: I have to confess, If i didn’t see L3 link over the weekend, i probably wouldn’t have had the heart or courage to write this note. But any thing is possible, till the results are offcial and even after that with a retabulation. Stay positive, stay focussed. If its a win celebrate it with humility. If its a loss take it with pride (Its a temporary set back, not a long term failure). All of us have temporary setbacks one time or the other. Good luck for tomorrow friends. My feeling is some of you (us) will clear it. This is not the time to give-up.