Link to ppl with scores of pass/fail last year. Enjoy!!!

Candidates who have taken the exam receive a score report that is intended to be fairly unspecific: there is no overall score for the test, only a Pass/Fail result. For each category of questions, each test-taker is given a broad range within which his or her performance falls: below 50%, between 50% and 70%, and above 70%. The passing grade for the exams has been defined as 70% of the top percentage of exam papers until 1989; since then, the grading method is not explicitly published.[12] and the minimum passing score is set by the Board of Governors after each exam. The Board of Governors review the results of a Standard Setting process and input from psychometricians. Standard Setting is a process by which CFA Charterholders from around the world review the exam and recommend, for each question, a minimum passing score for the “just qualified candidate”. The minimum passing scores for each question are aggregated and presented to the Board of Governors as a recommended minimum passing score for the entire exam. The Board of Governors is not bound by this recommendation, but does recognize it as very important information.

apply the 40-60-80 rule, assuming the candidate achieved the same score in the morning and in the afternoon: - Alternative Assets 12 - * - | 12*0.6=7.2 - Derivatives 12 * - - | 12*0.4=4.8 - Economics 24 * - - | 24*0.4=9.6 - Equity Analysis 24 - - * | 24*0.8= 19.2 - Ethical & Professional Stnds. 36 - * - | 36*0.6=21.6 - Financial Statement Analysis 68 - - * | 68*0.8=54.4 - Fixed Income Analysis 24 * - - | 24*0.4=9.6 - General Portfolio Management 12 - * - | 12*0.6=7.2 - Quantitative Analysis 28 - * - | 28*0.6=16.8 | total score is therefore = 153.4 kevin002 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- Multiple Choice Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% - Alternative Assets 12 - * - - Derivatives 12 * - - - Economics 24 * - - - Equity Analysis 24 - - * - Ethical & Professional Stnds. 36 - * - - Financial Statement Analysis 68 - - * - Fixed Income Analysis 24 * - - - General Portfolio Management 12 - * - - Quantitative Analysis 28 - * - This definitely seems like a close call. > This definitely seems like a close call.

There was this one score i saw in the june 07 passing candidates. His score turned out to be around 62% with the 40-60-80 rule. To keep a margin for oneself,i think 67 odd percent shud be decent. or around 80/120 or so… This makes me feel a little better because i think i should make it. Waiting for the results.

"Level 1: Pass The table below illustrates your subject matter strengths and weaknesses. The three columns on the right are marked with asterisks to indicate your performance on each question or topic area. Multiple Choice Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% - Alternative Assets 12 - - * - Derivatives 12 * - - - Economics 24 - - * - Equity Analysis 24 - - * - Ethical & Professional Stnds. 36 - * - —>>>> :open_mouth: - Financial Statement Analysis 68 - * - —>>>>> :open_mouth: - Fixed Income Analysis 24 - * - - General Portfolio Management 12 - - * - Quantitative Analysis 28 - - * "

^^ must have got almost or very near to 70% in Ethics and FSA… it will be almost impossible to recover from bad scores in two of the biggest topics…

Yea, I figured as much. I was quite surprised to find about 4-5 people with 50-70 in FSA AND Ethics who passed the exam in June.

I would guess that their 50-70 was more close to 70. Also, in their other sections, I would think they would have done well (very few < 50) and most of the scores must be closer to the upper limit than the lower one.