Long/Short Opportunity - RIMM v GRPN

A positive, upbeat outlook might help (on life, not necessarily on ER).

Hey, RIMM just got even cheaper!

Looks pretty grim… What’s wrong with this company?

like a hot babe that is gaining weight…you can go to jenny craig but the inevitable is foreseeable…

sigh, value trap. now let’s get in and wait for a savior to turn this ship around?

Exactly. A good value stock needs a catalyst for a turnaround. I don’t see any sign of that here.

the only catalyst i want is a good solid business looking to throw off more cash in the future, might not be near, but in the future… man, i saw some hot classy babes today, they noticed i was looking…

Well, something would have to happen for RIMM to change trajectory. In other words, a catalyst.

Focus on your goals, but don’t get caught focusing.

The only catalyst that would work for this company is some realistic chance that Blackberry X is going to retake market share from iPhone and Android. Is there anybody who believes that? I don’t know why anybody uses a Blackberry now, except they are used to it. My iPhone is better than your Blackberry and by the time the next Blackberry is out, iPhone 5 will be out and priced to kill what’s left of RIMM. They ccould get a short term bump in the price of RIMM if the two idiots running the company had a duel with real guns on a PlayBook-only broadcast. This company has made so many bone-headed mistakes…

Your arguments about RIMM mistakes are true and probably is the reason for it losing 75% this year but dont you think thats a bit of an overreaction? Also the loss of its markets share is quite true for north american but its business in the emerging markets is still pretty healthy and I have seen it to be quite popular in countries like India. Again, assume you were someone interested in buying the entire business, at these levels of earnings you would break even in 2.5-3 years which is pretty damn awesome. Yes, prices might fall even further but I for one cannot call the bottom so I would buy at a price that makes sense to me which at this point it does.

Listen, we understand your point about the market overreacting. However, consider the alternative view - say that they really lose market share, that current Blackberry users switch to Android/iPhone, which is quite possible, is it still going to be an overreaction? Personally I think if you’ve got a directional view on Blackberry, why not play it with ootm Calls? There is also the possibility that the simple fears of Blackberry going down could scare away current and future customers. Kind of like a bank run.

I hate groupon. Hate the idea of using groupon. Would rather pay extra money than walk up to a counter with a self printed discount. The hassle is never worth it to me, I don’t get involved. I’d guess Groupon goes by the way of lazer disk. Problem is, my wife checks groupon EVERY DAY as do many of her associates. This by the way is a group of pretty well educated people. She plans her spending around groupon. If this is a fad, how long will it take to go away?

i can see you’re trying to use the buffet approach here, but i highly doubt buffet would get in on this for a number of reasons…we can all agree looking backwards, the stock is cheap “trailing earnings approach” but the future for this business does not look too great…you can’t apply the buffet approach to everything especially if you’re not applying the other tenets as well…

I am now long MSFT at 25.8. Target price - 35+. Collect dividends until it happens. Let’s see how it goes.

good luck brother. may the hot classy babes be with you.

I’m guessing you’re going to collect dividends for a long time.

i wouldnt be surprised if msft raised their dividends in the upcoming years by a higher than expected amount.

Which will also be a catalyst for share price growth. Win win.

Where’s the growth for MSFT? Are people going to start replacing their computers more often? Are people clamoring for the next upgrade of Office so they can, uh, have more commands that nobody uses? Oh wait - I remember - MSFT is going to start selling lots of operating systems in Africa…