Losing Motivation

Man I am having serious loss of motivation. For the last 2weeks now. but maybe it was just the break I needed to get back into it. I am pretty sure I had similar periods half way through for levels 1 &2. just keep plugging away. Take a few days off and dont worry about it. There’s no point studying if its not quality study. it would be better to revitalise.

I have just recently started drinking to counter this depression and it works! Also listening to music helps.

artvandalay Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m in the same boat, levels one and two where > relevant for me, but now with level three I know I > will never use any of this…except maybe managing > my 401k Just curious, what do you do artvandalay? Glad to know someone else won’t be using this knowledge!

Niraj, I’d like to know what other credential(s) in finance you think are more rewarding.

niraj_a Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m one of the unmotivated folk. I think our > motivation drops towards L3 because by that time, > we realize the true worth of this charter’s > ability to open doors. > > I’m ready to be done this June so I can move on to > more rewarding/impactful/meaningful/ initiatives. I’d like to know what other credentials in finance you consider are more rewarding/impactful/meaningful etc.

I am in exact same situation, I guess that is common for all L3 candidates. When we did L1 and L2, we still have fresh feeling of CFA, very dim hope that CFA may change our career path, after two years, you passed L1 and L2 with ease and nothing in your career changed, you now know for sure that all other people saying are true - CFA is no use. Plus, the boring part of CFA kicks in. You get tired of all the notes. They are pretty much saying the same contents over and over again, then you start to ask yourself, what the hell am I doing here? Another contribution factor is L3 has so tiring essay questions, that is much more demanding to prepare, I got to remember more accurately now. That adds on the boring of CFA study at this stage.

steph96 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > artvandalay Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I’m in the same boat, levels one and two where > > relevant for me, but now with level three I know > I > > will never use any of this…except maybe > managing > > my 401k > > > Just curious, what do you do artvandalay? Glad to > know someone else won’t be using this knowledge! I work in corporate development, which is basically a mix between internal M&A and research - in addition to some random corporate finance stuff I get pulled into every now and then when things are slow. Even though I will never use level three, I couldn’t live with the guilt of not trying to finish it…at least I’ll get to (hopefully) put CFA after my name, even if no one cares about it.

hey guys, on the same boat, but the posts here are killing the remaining motivation :((

Ashwin Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > niraj_a Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I’m one of the unmotivated folk. I think our > > motivation drops towards L3 because by that > time, > > we realize the true worth of this charter’s > > ability to open doors. > > > > I’m ready to be done this June so I can move on > to > > more rewarding/impactful/meaningful/ > initiatives. > > I’d like to know what other credentials in finance > you consider are more > rewarding/impactful/meaningful etc. it depends really on your location in the world and current role. i have found that sell-side equity research is the only direct CFA charter beneficiary. there are many ibankers and consultants doing the CFA now so they inherently have a leg up in a competitive market i believe. again, it depends on your currrent role and current firm size, as that dictates career progression possibilities. is there an email address i can reach you at? i wish to avoid threadjacking this into a CFA vs. MBA vs. MSF vs. god knows what other certification. that said, i definitely want that charter, since i have already invested so much time passing these tests.

artvandalay Wrote: > > I work in corporate development, which is > basically a mix between internal M&A and research > - in addition to some random corporate finance > stuff I get pulled into every now and then when > things are slow. > > Even though I will never use level three, I > couldn’t live with the guilt of not trying to > finish it…at least I’ll get to (hopefully) put > CFA after my name, even if no one cares about it. We are in the same boat. And I agree…can’t quit now that I’m this close. If there were a 4th level *shudder* I might not have it in me to keep going. Luckily, the end is near.

Don’t do this to me BiPolar! I expect you to pass L3 and then laugh at me next Memorial day while you’re at a BBQ and I’m still chugging away at FCFF/FCFE.

Im still preparing for my L2 so I cant truly know how u guys feel. However, if I was at the final stage - I think just that feeling of being so close to getting something in my hands (the Charter) to show for all the trouble I went through the past few years would keep me going.

Wow - we are so many brothers’ in arms! I though I was the one with Ground Zero motivation. YAY to this thread to know that I am not alone. Let’s help motivate each other :expressionless:

I draw my inspiration from rap music videos…watchin’ all those guys flash the bling, makin’ it rain, drive the fancy cars, etc. Tell me that doesn’t fire you up when it makes you think “that’s gonna be ME one day!”

Does CFA make you a better rapper? Didn’t know that…

wishiwererich Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I draw my inspiration from rap music > videos…watchin’ all those guys flash the bling, > makin’ it rain, drive the fancy cars, etc. > > Tell me that doesn’t fire you up when it makes you > think “that’s gonna be ME one day!” lol’d is this kid serious

I remember that last year on L2 forum, there was L3er informing us about this motivation problem. I think it’s true… as you progress through the CFA program, your motivation starts to decline. At some point, I realize CFA program has become more a torture because the stuff aren’t easy and you only have one shot at it per year. So ideally, if you do it, do it right and pass on first try. But, there is always the luck factor (I prefer the term “chance”; some people call it “risk”). So realistically speaking, I think if you can pass on first try, it’s good. If not, it’s no big deal. I still like the CFA program though. I remember this experience that in the last week of the exam, I met many candidates in my area who all studied in the same library. Then I realized that I wasn’t alone fighting this battle. The reunion feels good as it makes you feel you are part of something bigger and greater. (I met a L1 candidate who struggled with FSA and derivatives. I helped him out a bit and gave him a copy of my Schweser Vol. 0 too. I also remember a girl who was preparing for L3 last year. She could sit there and studied for hours without losing concentration. Pretty interesting mix for the CFA candidate population.) My mentor used to teach me that what I learned from him (and in life) is mine. So I don’t quite regret enrolling in the CFA program, because I learned new things and met new people. I hope the above helps people who need to pass but are losing motivation to find something useful.

When I think I’m losing motivation, I just watch Leeroy Jenkins do it one more time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkCNJRfSZBU That’s gonna be me on test day…

niraj_a Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Ashwin Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > niraj_a Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > I’m one of the unmotivated folk. I think our > > > motivation drops towards L3 because by that > > time, > > > we realize the true worth of this charter’s > > > ability to open doors. > > > > > > I’m ready to be done this June so I can move > on > > to > > > more rewarding/impactful/meaningful/ > > initiatives. > > > > I’d like to know what other credentials in > finance > > you consider are more > > rewarding/impactful/meaningful etc. > > > it depends really on your location in the world > and current role. i have found that sell-side > equity research is the only direct CFA charter > beneficiary. there are many ibankers and > consultants doing the CFA now so they inherently > have a leg up in a competitive market i believe. > again, it depends on your currrent role and > current firm size, as that dictates career > progression possibilities. > > is there an email address i can reach you at? i > wish to avoid threadjacking this into a CFA vs. > MBA vs. MSF vs. god knows what other > certification. > > that said, i definitely want that charter, since i > have already invested so much time passing these > tests. That would be great! I can be reached at asht70@yahoo.com

Hang in there guys and gals. I was once feeling the same way. My motivation was at an all time low for Level 3 but I ended up pulling through. There were times where I couldn’t concentrate at all. I fought this feeling by changing up study locations (ie from my home to Starbucks and vice-versa). I even tried to meditate a few times. Just remember that you are almost there and after June you will never have to think about these exams again and you will be able to enjoy every spring for the rest of your life. The more you sweat in peace time, the less you bleed in war. Good luck.