lululemon athletica inc. (LLL or LULU)

My momentum trading hat tells me to BUY BUY BUY, but when I put on my Fundamentals and relative value hat, its a SELL SELL SELL. The trend is strong, so the stock got room to move between here and xmas, but you’re going to have to be quick on the pullback. Of the stocks in it’s industry, it’s the second most expensive when looking at relative P/E valuations (P/E of 326… can anyone say P/E compresion?) I could see a company like this grow at 30% for a few years at least while they expand like crazy. But with anything this good, there’s going to be some major pitfalls along the way (anyone remember Krispy Kreme???.. it’s like history’s repeating itself). Needless to say, there was alot of opportunity to make a ton of cash on KKD before it all but went tits up.

I have old ladies and other non-investment people calling up and asking me about this stock. I think that signals a sell according to buffet.

FrankArabia Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I have old ladies and other non-investment people > calling up and asking me about this stock. I think > that signals a sell according to buffet. Still a bit early for the party to be over on this one… they’ve only had one quarter. But I’ll agree with you that it’s a risky play.

FrankArabia Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I have old ladies and other non-investment people > calling up and asking me about this stock. I think > that signals a sell according to buffet. But a buy according to Peter Lynch…So like all things it comes down to are you a growth or value guy.

Eddie Deezen Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Blue Horseshoe loves these pants. lol It seems promising…I’ve heard great things about it and I see the next wave of American culture going hardcore into Yoga, Karma, Whole/ Organic Foods. In the 80/90’s it was aerobics, thighmasters, spandex, Gold’s Gym etc…now American culture is starting to shift to “getting in touch w/ our higher self” and Lulu looks like it’s going to be a promising brand that will play a major role in it. Buy & Hold.

^^^^ 100% agree with shifting demand of 20-30 year olds, (the demographics that everyone markets too) Buy: Organic / Yoga for young generation Buy: Funeral Services & Healthcare, Retirement Planning for Older generation

darkhelmet Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- I could see a company like this grow > at 30% for a few years at least while they expand > like crazy. But with anything this good, there’s > going to be some major pitfalls along the way > (anyone remember Krispy Kreme???.. it’s like > history’s repeating itself). Needless to say, > there was alot of opportunity to make a ton of > cash on KKD before it all but went tits up. True but KKD was a diff story and the ultimate cause of their death was the cultural shift from, “feel your waist expand as you watch donuts move through a sheet of glazed frosting on a conveyor belt as your eyes pop out of your head and you drool all over their green and white floor tiles”. America shifted to the whole low-carb craze. I don’t see the shift away from the “Yoga lifestyle” for a long time and the turn won’t be as fast or drastic.

eh, my friend works in graphic design at their hq and has stock options, i bet she’s pretty happy right now. me, all i remember from my ubc days are ugg boots and lulu lemon pants, those hoes aint got no originality. i wouldnt touch the stock with a ten foot pole, but im a value guy.

I believe it was sitting at around 55.25 today at close. My opinion (without looking at their financial statements, qualifications of management or knowing anything about their management) is that I’d probably buy and hold for several months, till maybe around 70. I think if they’re able to market and manage their product well as they expand, it’ll be a success, though they’ll have to mitigate any potential losses that may occur (a possibility i see happening out in the orient, but that’s just a feeling based on what I know about their tastes re:clothing, though i could be wrong). I think if they’re able to promote their clothing as a sort of ‘exclusive’ type of brand, then it will do really well (such as Coach), but if they expand too much to the point where they’re producing *too many* products, thus creating a supply which exceeds demand and devaluing their products/bringing down prices, it won’t be seen as ‘exclusive’ and will be nothing but a short lived fad. So i personally think they can do very well with it, but they’ve got to be smart about it, as with any business.

Would anyone’s opinion change if you checked target prices on bloomberg and read the reports dealing with how they arrived at their valuation? many analysts have trouble pricing in a $45 price, let alone $55…

Apparel fads are always a good bet! Especially with such innovative products as this - stretchy pants, who’da thunk it?

Yes, but these stretchy pants actually make chubby-butted girls look not so chubby. That’s gotta be magic!

would you guys buy something at lululemon for your significant other? seems like a cool place to shop for gifts and my girlfriend loves their clothes, but i’ve always found it pretty tough to shop for women…seems like they have pretty particular tastes when it comes to this stuff and i don’t always understand the rhyme or reason. plus, i think that some girls (not all) have a tendency to overanalyze and it seems safer to buy pretty much anything else besides clothes. let me know what you guys (and girls) think.

i always like to buy my girlfriends practical gifts, like gift certifates to home depot, bed, bath and beyond or if it’s a really special occassion, a vacuum cleaner.

Numi, I’d stay away from buying her clothing unless you absolutely know her style/size. My husband has no clue about this stuff, so I’m thankful he doesn’t attempt to buy me any clothing gifts. But maybe your girlfriend feels differently. Nice, Turkish.

Ah, okay. I know she really likes lululemon, so I thought maybe getting her something there would be a nice idea…might be more trouble than it’s worth though. cfa2grunt, do you prefer getting gift certificates to your favorite stores, or does your husband tend to avoid apparel-related gifts altogether?

You can’t go wrong with gift certificates numi, they really say it’s from the heart! I also like getting them gifts that double as a gift for me…courtside seats, 90 minutes of uninterrupted Turkish time, etc. Average relationship duration for me is 3.7 weeks however, so if you’re a longer term guy…perhaps this advice is not solid.

haha…it’s all good. i’ve been with my gf for a while now. i don’t generally buy gift certificates since i like to try and do things creative or personal, but i also don’t think there’s anything wrong with them either since it’s a way of letting your SO pick out whatever they want. just my two cents

So LULU / LLL stocks have been falling and now below $40? Is it worth a buy now? With most of their production in Canada (Strong CND Dollar) and the quality assurance problem they have been having… how low will their stock go? Thoughts?