MA in Economics

Matt, Thanks for your take on this. I’m in about the same place as you, except I’m taking level I this December, so grad school would be a few years out for sure. I have a BS in applied math and economics and really enjoy economics. My current job is pretty good but I think down the line I would like to get into the kinds of things that a grad econ degree would allow me to do - strategist, commodities analyst, economist (non-academic), macro trading, etc. At this early stage I just have to see where I am in 2 years or so and see if it makes sense for me then, but I’m leaning towards going the MA route rather than MBA. I think there’s a good balance between it being something I enjoy as well as applicable to career paths that interest me. Sometimes it’s tough to just sit back for a while and let things happen… Anyway, good luck in your endeavors.

makes sense. sounds like our minds are made :smiley:

if you have access to a really good part time program, there is no tradeoff. Just make sure you go to a top notch program.

Can anyone shed some light on the career path of strategist/economist ? would they have a shot at becoming a portfolio manager or asset allocator?

i’m not very familiar with that career path, but i would imagine the answer is yes, although that’s probably a very roundabout way of becoming a PM. plus you have the issue of work experience - someone who’s been an analyst for a while is probably more likely to move into a PM position than an economist. not saying it’s impossible, just seems like it’s taking the long way. please take this with a grain of salt though.

itmonkey, I wonder the same thing, because I’m better cut out for an economist/strategist role than analyst (where I’m not UNsuited, but it’s harder for me to stand out vs other candidates). I do know that some strategist types do eventually get to PM. My sense is that this is less common in fundamental bottom-up shops, and more common in quant or tactical asset allocation shops. This is just my sense of things, not necessarily all that informed… would be interested in any one else’s.