Marathon

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Also, regarding pacing, lets say you pace a very > conservative 9 minutes a mile because this is what > you can comfortably run (like a 3:5X pace). But > you decide to try to make up some time by shaving > 15 seconds off per split, if successful, this will > only save you like 7 minutes over the course of > the race. But if it causes you to crash, you may > be forced to walk a mile or two (or run at a pace > that would allow a fast walker to pass you). A > brisk walking pace is like 16 minutes a mile, the > differential means that over two miles you’ll lose > 12 minutes and have an unenjoyable experience. > Pace conservatively brah. This is very important. At the beginning of my race everybody lined up according to projected mile times. I was in the 9-10min/mile. Well the race starts and everybody is passing me like I am standing still! I said screw them, I’m sticking to my plan. Around mile 19 I passed them all back and more (some didn’t finish). Don’t get me wrong, I am a slow long distance runner, but at least I was willing to admit it. Reality tends to carry a pretty big hammer. Should you choose to ignore it you may be pounded. Edit: You should listen to Black Swan . He just ran his first marathon less than two months ago. Since then he has completed a 50 miler. You read that right FIFTY miles. The dude is crazy. Sorry Swanny, but that deserves to be recognized.

Our very own Swanny ran 50 miles??? mwvt9 - BS is also running the Philly marathon with me (but a full one)

Anyone up for running the Pete McArdle Cross Country classic on Dec 12th in NYC? It’s up in Van Cortlandt park at 242nd street, a 15K (9.3 miles). Supposed to be a great course and a great race - much less crowded than the major NYC events. Registration is only $7, whether you’re in NYRR or not. I just signed up - give me a shout if anyone else feels like running it/training.

mwvt9 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > You should listen to Black Swan . He just > ran his first marathon less than two months ago. > Since then he has completed a 50 miler. That’s awesome, B. Swan!

3 marathons and 1 ultra in roughly 6 weeks, I’m actually pretty psyched about it myself. Thanks for the shout MWVT, when are we gonna meet up again?

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > 3 marathons and 1 ultra in roughly 6 weeks, I’m > actually pretty psyched about it myself. Thanks > for the shout MWVT, when are we gonna meet up > again? If not before then we are now confirmed for the tough mudder in April! www.toughmudder.com But, of course, we will have beers before then…