Mark Meldrum mock exams

Hi Mark,

Sounds like you’re “too good” for the charter?

My apologies. Carry on.

For those that have bought Mark Meldrum’s mock exams, how was the quality of the mocks? How close are they to the real deal and are they worth buying?

ive taken the first exam of 4. Quality is great for the price. Explanation on answers are through. The difficulty is harder than i believe the exam to be.

for reference i scored 85% on kaplan pm mock exam 1 and scored 63% on mark’s exam1 pm.

the am questions are great practice

I need to be chary in threads about Mark’s stuff because I cannot risk appearing to be promoting it. AnalystForum has rules about that sort of thing, and properly so.

I’ll address the first point here; the rest we’ll have to take off-line.

Yes: adding equities to a fixed income portfolio can reduce the volatility of the portfolio’s returns. I just grabbed a couple of funds: a government bond fund and some sort of equity fund. The volatility of returns on the equities is almost eight times the volatility of returns on the bonds, but adding just 1% equities to the pure bond portfolio reduces the volatility of returns of the portfolio. That’s the diversification benefit.

So, when you say that “adding equities will surely increase volatility”, you’re mistaken. I’ve analyzed literally thousands of these portfolios, and the usual effect of adding a small amount of equity to a fixed income portfolio is an increase in the expected return and a decrease in the volatility of returns.

Where are the MM exams on the site? I have the subscription but don’t see the exams? Thanks for any direction.

they’re in the pdf download part 2. Same place as the pdf notes. I had trouble finding them as well.

Much obliged! Best of luck!

I just did the Mock #2 AM…

Holy cow, I finally got the pre-tax return calculated correctly! (question #1 part C).

Cool!

Just missed another one of these questions… barely… Tell me if this is wrong or not:

From Kaplan mock:

“All income and realized capital gains are taxed at 25%. The assumed annual effective tax rate is 20%”.

So in this case, I assumed unrealized gains were not taxed, so only withdraws from the investment would be taxed. So I took the Required Income Divide by asset base, then removed taxes, and then added inflation.

The solution added inflation and then divided by (1-.2) = .80.

So in this case effective tax rate was the key word and that must be deducted from the inflation as well?

I have no idea what they mean by “the assumed annual effective tax rate is 20%”, but I do know that it’s not a phrase that you will see on the real exam.

They’re trying to be tricky here. CFA Institute does not try to be tricky. If CFA Institute wants you to apply a tax rate of 20% to all investment returns, they’ll say that a 20% tax rate applies to all investment returns.

I hate it when prep providers try to be clever and end up with stupid stuff like this.

how do these mocks compare to the real thing?

Hi,

apologies if this has been asked already but has anyone looked at the exam walkthroughs? i’m wondering how these were and how many past questions/examples they go over? thinking about purchasing them to make sure i’m heading in the right direction for the big day. really don’t want to go into the exam with the wrong approach for the constructed response qs.

cheers

For the price, they are sn awesome deal. I think they are harder than the past papers but i picked up many things i overlooked from the reading text so I think it has better prepared me

Hi Mark,

Appreciate all the time and efforts you have put in in all your CFA Level 1 and Level 2 content. Thanks a million for all your help and support. Your way of teaching is amazing. Thanks.

Hi y’all

About to do the first of Meldrum’s mocks this weekend. For those of you have done a few of them: how are they time management wise? Close to the real thing? Are the questions doable within the allotted time?

Last year for LII I did some 3rd party mocks (Schweser?) where there was so much pure calculation required for some of the questions that it was impossible to answer them in 3minutes.

I thought the exam #1 was the toughest. #4 is the easiest. Overall, I felt they are tougher than the CFAI published papers. Tough to finish these with the 3 hour window.

Just finished the AM section of exam #1… so far I’m very impressed by the quality.

The exam was very clear/understandable and difficult in the “right” way --> the questions were challenging because the material/calculations were difficult and tested your understanding of the concepts…not because you were confused what they were asking (as it is the case with Schweser quite often).

Thanks @S2000magician!

My pleasure.

Thanks for your kind assessment.

Just got done with the first exam. Very impressed with the quality. The outlay, wording, problems are very similar to the real CFAI problems + with some added difficulty.

I scored 54% in the AM and 74% in the PM. The AM paper definitely brought up stuff that I need to get more in-depth understanding on.