MBA Applicants

when are the first round of interviews?

For a good number of people in consulting or front-office finance, a common career path is the 2-2-2 rule, i.e. do 2 years consulting/finance + 2 years of something else (industry, PE, etc.) + 2 years at business school. There are also people that head to business school after 2-3 years of consulting or finance; this is more common in consulting than in investment banking. However, usually most people in investment banking these days will work another job afterwards in order to gain more work experience, have more opportunities to demonstrate leadership, etc. simply because they didn’t have much time outside of work to do other things. You don’t typically see that many people with master’s degrees go immediately for their MBA.

naturallight Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > dinesh.sundrani Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > This is what I could concur after discussing > with > > the HBS-Alumni-Panelist > > > > IT + Consulting + n-yrs of experience = > > Sterotype1 > > Bachelors + Masters + I-banking = Sterotype2 > > > > Both are sure to get eliminated, since they > don’t > > add the much needed ‘diversity’ H/W/S are > looking > > for… > > I don’t think that many people in IB have masters > degrees. > > The big 4 groups are: Consulting, Engineering, > Finance, and IT. So it may be harder to get in if > you’re from one of these groups, but you just have > to distinguish yourself in other ways, whether > through interesting extracurriculars, travel, etc. You are perfectly correct on this list, naturallight !! That’s exaclty what I was told, You ‘have to’ ‘have to’ ‘have to’ display the ‘diverse’ factor to break into HBS!!

DirtyZ Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > dinesh - I was unaware that most of the ibankers > applying to MBA programs already had Master’s > degrees. I was under the impression that the 2nd > stereotype you mentioned would be more along the > lines of ivy (or equivalent) under grad + 2-4 > years banking exp. > > I’m also assuming that stereotype #2 gets more > admits than #1 as well. Yeps, the 2nd stereotype I mentioned, are all the i-bankers with good experience. And there are tonnes of I-bankers and ‘equal’ tonnes of IT guys applying, so they weigh the basket of pickable-candidates and take the right mix to the final pool of intervew-candidates, that they think, could add VALUE to the class while doing the Case Studies.