MBA & CFA & no experience & poor economy

Keep looking for analyst ibanking roles man. With your education there you should land one with or without experience. There are fuking English majors that get hired with no experience. Move to NYC. The sad truth is that networking is very important.

I think its very hard getting a ibanking position now, because ibanks aren’t hiring too much and are already cutting people. Also, ibankers usually fit a mold. Summer experience at a ibank, hedge fund, or consulting. This guy has none of that. http://www.cnbc.com/id/28522597

cibc wont hire anyone in IB and or equity research right now in Montreal good luck anyway

JonathanC Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > Where would you suggest I look for unpaid > internships in Montreal? I only know of the 4 > major banks. You have to start by being realistic. The chances of finding something decent in Montreal are slim.

He doesn’t have any experience Hence a MBA who passed two levels of CFA with no experience with no job. Not a MBA & CFA w/o a job…

Okay, so after reading what has been posted, am I correct in assuming that I am overqualified and under(or not at all)-experienced with regards to being hired for the following types of jobs: Junior/assistant/associate analyst/investment banking So what kind of jobs would you suggest that may act as a springboard to eventually working towards getting my CFA charter after I pass level III? I really like finance and I am going to be in this job hunt for the long haul (2 years if need be) but I also know I will need to start at the bottom somewhere but I just don’t know what the starting point is… can someone give me a hint? And thank you “former trader” I know your comment may have come across as blunt but that is very useful because that is important information I NEED to know to help focus my job search.

Well I want to thank you all for giving me such quick and useful advice. I wish there was some way I could repay you all… I’ve browsed my school employment center site more and come across a large repository of links to organizations that offer internships to new under graduates and graduates with little to no experience. I’m also going to try telephoning Brokerages, Insurance companies, and the Big 4 accounting firms to see what they have for someone in my position. Anyone have any recommendations for jobs/internships I should keep an eye out for when applying to: 1) Brokerages 2) Insurance companies 3) Big 4 ?

Just purely curious. Say you land an internship. Wouldn’t you feel weird having done your MBA and L2 / 3 and being an intern? And would an internship actually help someone in your position? My understanding of internships is that they’re simply something to give undergrads not out of school yet something to do. I’ve never seen internships as being taken seriously. And most of my friends mentioned that they didn’t actually learn a thing during theirs’. So, to everyone reading this thread: 1. Would a post-MBA internship help at all? or would it be more practical for him to get a non-finance, paying job at this point in time? 2. How are internships viewed in a recruitment context? Are they even necessary / beneficial in his context?

in your position, i would look internationally… cfa is a global passport, no matter where in the world you work, it’s valuable experience. by the way, how did you find MBA/CFA program… worth the money… i think it’s 48K?

Given the state of the economy it seems you should be able to create your own unpaid internships. How many managers are willing to turn down free help?

challenger Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > in your position, i would look internationally… > cfa is a global passport, no matter where in the > world you work, it’s valuable experience. > > by the way, how did you find MBA/CFA program… > worth the money… i think it’s 48K? So if I look global, would I be okay looking for jobs like: Junior/assistant/associate analyst/investment banking in places like Germany, China, EU, Japan, (maybe even Russia?!) And yes, the 48K was worth it and RBC gave me a student line of credit without having to have a job or a co signer. They gave me some sort of hypothetical income. The whole program makes sense because now I’ll have all my credentials out of the way and by the time I’m older I won’t have to worry about juggling family and school and a full time job to get the next promotion.

JonnyDee Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Given the state of the economy it seems you should > be able to create your own unpaid internships. How > many managers are willing to turn down free help? Woah woah woah WOAH WOAH… slow down for a sec… WOAH. Do you mean I can offer my services to FREE for any finance manager in Montreal and I can actually have success doing that?! I would totally be up for that because I don’t need any money, money’s not an issue it’s the experience. I also think momo’s questions are pretty good to get an answer to… momothetired Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > So, to everyone reading this thread: > > 1. Would a post-MBA internship help at all? or > would it be more practical for him to get a > non-finance, paying job at this point in time? > > 2. How are internships viewed in a recruitment > context? Are they even necessary / beneficial in > his context?

yes Jonathan… i think you can land a well-paid position in Europe… or even Russia, i know of CFAs who moved to Moscow.

by the way, how did you find concordia preparation for the CFA exams? did you put a lot into studying on your own apart from classes at Concordia?

challenger Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > yes Jonathan… i think you can land a well-paid > position in Europe… or even Russia, i know of > CFAs who moved to Moscow. So it’s either free work in Montreal (fine with me as long as the experience is fit for a CFA graduate working towards the charter) or decent paid job in Europe or Russia. Wow, we’re making progress here that can benefit a lot of others in my situation. I am very grateful for your input and advice! challenger Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > by the way, how did you find concordia preparation > for the CFA exams? did you put a lot into studying > on your own apart from classes at Concordia? Oh yes. I studied full time: 7am-10:30am & 1:00pm-5:00pm. The classes were Wednesday evening and Saturday during the day. Classes were held simultaneously in MTL and TO via videoconferencing. The preparation was exceptional as demonstrated by our near 80% pass rates for all the CFA exams (L1-L3).

JonathanC Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > challenger Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > in your position, i would look > internationally… > > cfa is a global passport, no matter where in > the > > world you work, it’s valuable experience. > > > > by the way, how did you find MBA/CFA program… > > worth the money… i think it’s 48K? > > So if I look global, would I be okay looking for > jobs like: > Investment bankers in Asia are dropping like flies. China may be your best bet, but honestly, how good is your Chinese? And last time I checked, China salaries are pretty awful. If you get hired by a Chinese bank overseas and get posted to China to work it’s different. IB on the whole is getting hit very hard world-wide.

jonathan… can you email me at cfa1@live.ca what’s your email

What are your career goals? Chances are even with a good economy the best you could of done was middle office at an ibank. I would look for any half decent job that relates to your career goals. But if I were you I would look for jobs in PWM and client services at an IM. If ur lucky u get to jump to a boutique afterwards. Just donlt give up.

Well I really enjoyed learning about all the material the CFA covered, which was quite broad and extensive but with my absence of job experience I can only surmise what job I would like to work at via word of mouth and technical skills required. As far as I can tell, I REALLY enjoyed derivatives in my studies. I also enjoyed learning about active management and financial analysis (writing top down reports, making models and using both of them them to analyze the status of companies and make a recommendation). I guess I am looking at junior analyst/investment banking positions. I don’t want to turn down portfolio manager positions either (but that’s later on as I get more experience). I just REALLY liked everything (well most) of the CFA curriculum, which is a good sign IMO. So I’ll definitely zero in on a relevant finance job but I want to make sure I zero in on the right platform to launch my career as a financial analyst (or portfolio manager or investment banker).

Man, harsh crowd here. Jon - Have you signed up with any CFA societies? I believe once you get onto the Toronto CFA society you get access to all job postings. I believe you can access Vancouver job posting via their website. Would suggest that if you are serious about moving that you consider signing up for multiple societies to get linked in to any current or future job postings.