MBA programs

CFAdetroit Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > BiPolarBoyBoston Wrote: > > > > > Can you share with us your background? > University > > of Chicago Part-time MBA is my top choice of > any > > program out there. > > > > I heard UofC was pretty rigorous in terms of > > quant, where did you end up going after > finishing > > the MBA? What about your peers? Did the > > part-timers get the same opportunities as the > > full-timers in terms of career placement? Would > > obtaining the CFA help with admissions? > > > > I work with a couple guys that went to Univ of > Chicago part time. I actually asked one myself > about the quant. He said it is as tough as you > want to make it. Many courses are electives so > you can get by with little quant-intensive stuff > if you really want to. CFAdetroit, do you mind telling me what you guys do?

@T2 There are a few top schools outside the US as well.

T2 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > There is a group of top 7 MBA programs that are > often referred to as such. On Linkedin, for > example, there is a Top 7 group that only alumni > from those 7 schools can get into. The rankings > you tend to read in magazines are mostly BS, IMHO. > Remember, they need to sell their “rankings” issue > every year, so they constantly change the rankings > so you will buy their magazine. Here are what are > considered the Top 7 (the order is my opinion > only): > > 1) Harvard > 2) Stanford > 3) Wharton > 4) Kellogg > 5) UChicago > 6) Columbia > 7) MIT > > 8/9 NYU, Tuck > > Anything after these is pretty much in the second > tier. Again, that doesn’t mean they aren’t great > schools, but you they are probably more regionally > focused. I would imagine Yale would be up there too?

what about Haas

Agreed with this. Would also add as a corollary that if you’re focused on a region, the local program can be much more advantageous to you than a Top 10 or 7 or whatever. In the example above, if Austin was the geo focus for whatever reason, UT Austin would likely be a “better” program than Kellogg or Chicago or some of the others, not only b/c UT’s top ~40 and also has good fundamentals, but also b/c your fellow students at UT will likely be your future colleagues, the profs are tied into the local business community, and it will be largely local companies (or local offices of larger companies) that come to campus to recruit. That said, if you don’t know what area of the country you want to be in, or maybe even don’t know what field, a failsafe is to go to the best program you can get into, provided it makes sense financially and with the logistics of your current life. The cachet will help you out as your career evolves during and afterwards, regardless of where you go or what you do. I scored well on the GMAT (99th %ile), had a good undergrad GPA, an unconventional background, got accepted into some good programs, and got a partial scholarship to a top 10 / 15, where I went full time for my MBA. At the time, I was open to a couple of different career paths, and this was largely a general management program, so I went in with an open mind and figured it out as I went. I’ve done a few things since then (I graduated 5 years ago) and though I’m not in the geographic market of the program, the general awareness of the quality of the school has helped me out over the years. I turned down full rides to top 30 / 40 schools for the same reason; if I wasn’t fully committed to Nashville, for example (Vanderbilt), there was little benefit to me of going there. I wouldn’t have gone to school unless I could have gotten into a top program. The scholarship made it a no brainer. I’m very focused on my region, now, however, and see people coming out of the local top 50 program who are immediately dialed into this market b/c of the network, and the locals who know the program respect it and give grads the benefit of the doubt, and preferential treatment for jobs, etc. I’d do it differently myself now that I’m more focused in my work…

Of course there are great schools outside of the US, I was just listing US schools. Yale actually isn’t that great for MBA, I’d put it way down the second tier. Haas is legit, I’d put it on the fringe of the top 10/top of second tier along with Ross, Anderson, Fuqua, Darden, Carnegie Mellon.

how accurate are the top 20 lists online? Dead on?

"Ya but recruiting for NYU’s parttime is horrible. " That’s too bad, I wonder why that is? At Kellogg, you are in the same recruiting program as the full-time students, there is no distinction. Not sure about UChicago.

“how accurate are the top 20 lists online? Dead on?” There are a million different lists and they seem to change every year (so that you’ll buy the magazine to see this year’s rankings). I look at it this way- which school would most people pick if they got into both? Businessweek can put Ross ahead of Standford, but are you kidding me?!

T2 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Of course there are great schools outside of the > US, I was just listing US schools. Yale actually > isn’t that great for MBA, I’d put it way down the > second tier. Haas is legit, I’d put it on the > fringe of the top 10/top of second tier along with > Ross, Anderson, Fuqua, Darden, Carnegie Mellon. T2, do you mean that Carnegie Mellon is better than Yale on their MBA program? Just curious.

T2 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > "Ya but recruiting for NYU’s parttime is horrible. > " > > That’s too bad, I wonder why that is? At Kellogg, > you are in the same recruiting program as the > full-time students, there is no distinction. Not > sure about UChicago. AFAIK, they don’t open up their full-time MBA recruitment office for Executive MBA program. Their reason is it’s unethical to have the company sponsored a student and at the same time help that student to find another job at another company. Not sure about the part-time program though

An important consideration is the source of the rankings. The consensus is that USNews & World Report’s business school rankings are the best. The methodology is made public, so you can see what they consider when formulating the rankings. If memory serves, USNews rankings value job placement, test scores, recruiter assessments. The rankings from WSJ, Businessweek, and Forbes just aren’t that great, so don’t go by those. WSJ in particular has some very odd picks. Harvard is ranked in the teens, which is insane. I think both the FT and WSJ have non-US rankings available, but I don’t know how respected those rankings are. An additional bit of advice: Don’t buy into the whole “fit with the program” nonsense. If you want to do finance, go to the best finance school you can based on rankings. Same for the other MBA disciplines (e.g. mkting, operations, consulting, etc). I’m sure some people disagree with this, but where you go to school will have a tremendous impact on your career. Two years of sub-optimal “fit” will be worth it in the long run. Don’t be fooled by scholarships, either. Go to the best school that accepts you.

ozzie123 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > T2 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > "Ya but recruiting for NYU’s parttime is > horrible. > > " > > > > That’s too bad, I wonder why that is? At > Kellogg, > > you are in the same recruiting program as the > > full-time students, there is no distinction. > Not > > sure about UChicago. > > AFAIK, they don’t open up their full-time MBA > recruitment office for Executive MBA program. > Their reason is it’s unethical to have the company > sponsored a student and at the same time help that > student to find another job at another company. > Not sure about the part-time program though Same way for part-time. Its notoriously difficult for non-full timers.

I don’t think I want to apply to Toronto anymore. That’s just selling yourself short

You’d rather not waste neither time nor money for this.

T2 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > "Ya but recruiting for NYU’s parttime is horrible. > " > > That’s too bad, I wonder why that is? At Kellogg, > you are in the same recruiting program as the > full-time students, there is no distinction. Not > sure about UChicago. Sucks for the FT students then, no? So PT students who already have a job are taking on-campus interview slots for summer internships?

“T2, do you mean that Carnegie Mellon is better than Yale on their MBA program? Just curious.” I would think so, but I really don’t know much about either of them to be honest, just that they are solid second tier schools.

“So PT students who already have a job are taking on-campus interview slots for summer internships?” Why would a part-time student try to get an internship? That makes no sense! But yes, the PTers take slots in the recruiting programs. Tough cookies for the FTers, no one made them go back full time!