More favorable? Economics Major with Minor in Finance

i read/post jokes on AF. that seems reasonable to me.

Squirrel24 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > “If it matters to you, Business schools like Econ > or any other liberal arts major more than Finance > or any business major.” > > I don’t disagree, but if you are > finance/accounting in undergrad and you kill it in > your role as an analyst, you won’t need business > school. CFA plus experience would go farther > towards PM role than b-school plus much less > opportunity cost. The majority (not overwhelming) > of my classmates at bschool had engineering or > consulting backgrounds. > > “Econ makes you sound more flexible…” > > IMHO, econ shows you know how to think, but there > are other ways to show that also. 1) Yeah, forgoing B-School is certainly the current trend, but I’m not sure I buy it forever. If you look at the management section for top asset managers, you still see that most young PM’s have an MBA. Also, if you go through a round of layoffs and “the deck gets reshuffled” all else equal, you don’t want to be competing with other peers with similar PM experience who have an MBA if you don’t… 2) Sure, there are other ways you show that you know how to think, but why waste space when you don’t have to? It’s not like there’s an incredibly valuable skill set that you pick up as a finance major, that you won’t get through Econ. Furthermore, judging by his post it seems like he’s pretty early in undergrad, so he may still decide he wants to go into consulting, or work in-house for a corporation or something like that. Econ leaves the door open a lot more than finance does. And if you start to Pursue the CFA, does it really matter that you majored in finance?

I can only speak from my experience…I found that my econ background necesitated getting my MBA and CFA to continue progressing in finance. I just wish I would have front loaded some of that course work in college. I have gotten the jobs I’ve wanted for the most part but I have had to take some small steps back title-wise to get where I wanted to go in the long run.

Jamie is really looking for those AF points. Almost 8 year old thread.

I am glad I got to read bchad’s hieroglyphic poem though.