Most recent interview left me "butt-hurt".

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > For me, passing L2 made the difference between > being tossed out of the interview and eventually > being offered the position. So don’t believe all > the cynicism you hear. Situations can vary quite a > lot. > Same for me. Passing L2 was the final deciding factor that landed me the job. bromion Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I suspect the real problem with this situation is > that the OP was apparently interviewing for a back > office legal role, at least based on the > description of what the named MD actually does. > Most PE investors wouldn’t get too excited about > the CFA to begin with, and that level of > excitement deminishes the further from the front > office you get. Anyway, good learning experience > – sometimes mistakes are the best teachers and > we’ve all probably said the wrong thing in an > interview at least once. I would mostly agree with this. Back office functions like controllers would value a CFA, but back office legal wouldn’t care much. People learn best through making mistakes, but unfortunately those mistakes can hurt.

YoungBuck Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > MissCleo is a neurotic idiot, please disregard it. +1

Yeah after looking at the guy’s profile this had to be an ops job. But asking someone if they have questions about the CFA is so stupid, honestly. That’s up there with putting passed Level I on first attempt, who gives a crap.

MissCleo shouldn’t u be on a ledge somewhere?

I read his bio and this guy is definitely coming from a legal background, which is probably why you got the interview.

MissCleo Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > [rude and derogatory comments here] MissCleo, you recently failed level II a second time and spoke - at length - about killing yourself, quitting the exam, leaving the profession, sawing your own hand off in exchange for the charter, etc. See legendary “I have failed” thread and your many GIVE ME PITY posts here: http://www.analystforum.com/phorums/read.php?12,1285350,page=1 Instead of lambasting you for your melodrama, the majority of posters replied with words of encouragement and offered similar stories and experiences to help grant you some perspective. It’s so good to see you paying it forward by offering your helpful suggestions and words of counsel to the OP here. My response to the OP: At least you’ve got the sense to laugh about it now. Keep plugging along. As they say, illegitimum non carborundum.

supersadface Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > MissCleo Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > > > MissCleo, you recently failed level II a second > time and spoke - at length - about killing > yourself, quitting the exam, leaving the > profession, sawing your own hand off in exchange > for the charter, etc. See legendary “I have > failed” thread and your many GIVE ME PITY posts > here: > > http://www.analystforum.com/phorums/read.php?12,12 > 85350,page=1 > > Instead of lambasting you for your melodrama, the > majority of posters replied with words of > encouragement and offered similar stories and > experiences to help grant you some perspective. > It’s so good to see you paying it forward by > offering your helpful suggestions and words of > counsel to the OP here. > > My response to the OP: At least you’ve got the > sense to laugh about it now. Keep plugging along. > As they say, illegitimum non carborundum. +1 its funny right MissCleo feels the pressure but yearns to apply that pressure herself …the bullys are often bullied themselves, dislike it but end up bullies them selves…you resent ur parentss yet end up being just like them …Humans

pimpineasy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > MissCleo shouldn’t u be on a ledge somewhere? LOL I agree with the others, the OP must be commended for giving us a laugh at his expense.

supersadface Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > http://www.analystforum.com/phorums/read.php?12,12 > 85350,page=1 > Whoa, this stuff is kind of intense. I can’t believe I missed this. They should incorporate some of these lines in the next Twilight movie.

when you google “carlyle group + CFA”, you’ll see a couple of big boys that are charterholders. hell yeah!

“I just completed my Level II CFA this past June. Do you have any questions regarding the CFA?” Basically if there is nothing to say don’t say anthing, just say thanks and end the interview.

Just wanted to post a final update here on where I finally ended up: I did get an offer from Carlyle, which I was surprised about since I thought I blew the interview. Also was offered a position with IADB, Inter-American Development Bank. I declined both offers and went with a small PE-firm in Oil & Gas. At the time I was unsure if this was the right decision, but now I know it was the right decision. The firm is on a major acquisition spree and is investing over 200 mm over the next 2-years buying everything. I am really liking the work I am doing, as it is really challenging. I am working on a hedging model now, to fight the volatility in the Crude market. I am going to all of these meetings with a lot of big banks and consulting firms, ie Morgan Stanley, Smith Barney…etc. It’s a lot of good exposure and that’s what I was looking for. I am reviewing their models and then giving my views, which at the moment aren’t a whole lot. Last week, I was reviewing a DCF model by another bank, and my boss asked me what I thought. I told him I thought that the WACC used by the other analyst team wasn’t great because of the comps he used, Hess, Exxon…etc. Hess, Exxon are refiners and the company we were working on was a wholesaler. The margins have an inverse correlation. Meaning if the price of RBOB (Gasoline Futures) goes up, the refiner margin goes up, but the wholesaler’s margin goes down. Well he just shook his head and later on I got an e mail telling me I could sit in on the Morgan Stanley meeting. During the meeting he totally gave me all the credit for catching that discrepancy. In my experience, not many people will do that. They will just take all the credit, but he didn’t. The best thing about this position, is my boss. He is considerably young for this position, mid-30s, and is very intelligent. Most places I have worked, and well I am in my early 20s so there haven’t been many, I have never felt as if the guy above me was more competent. Here I totally feel it, and feel as if I have so much to learn from my superior. I guess the lesson I learned here, and would like to pass onto others is, it doesn’t matter if you work for a big bank if you don’t work in the position you are interested in. If you work at a huge bank and all you do is manage their database, you will never attain the work experience you need to move up in what you truly want to do. It’s better to go where you can actually gain the skills and exposure you need to move up in what you truly want to do.

Awesome news, MiserableLawStdnt! Thanks for sharing. I’m really happy for you. Though maybe you need to change your username now. :wink:

MiserableLawStdnt Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Just wanted to post a final update here on where I > finally ended up: > > I did get an offer from Carlyle, which I was > surprised about since I thought I blew the > interview. Also was offered a position with IADB, > Inter-American Development Bank. I declined both > offers and went with a small PE-firm in Oil & Gas. > At the time I was unsure if this was the right > decision, but now I know it was the right > decision. The firm is on a major acquisition spree > and is investing over 200 mm over the next 2-years > buying everything. I am really liking the work I > am doing, as it is really challenging. > > I am working on a hedging model now, to fight the > volatility in the Crude market. I am going to all > of these meetings with a lot of big banks and > consulting firms, ie Morgan Stanley, Smith > Barney…etc. It’s a lot of good exposure and > that’s what I was looking for. I am reviewing > their models and then giving my views, which at > the moment aren’t a whole lot. > > Last week, I was reviewing a DCF model by another > bank, and my boss asked me what I thought. I told > him I thought that the WACC used by the other > analyst team wasn’t great because of the comps he > used, Hess, Exxon…etc. Hess, Exxon are refiners > and the company we were working on was a > wholesaler. The margins have an inverse > correlation. Meaning if the price of RBOB > (Gasoline Futures) goes up, the refiner margin > goes up, but the wholesaler’s margin goes down. > Well he just shook his head and later on I got an > e mail telling me I could sit in on the Morgan > Stanley meeting. During the meeting he totally > gave me all the credit for catching that > discrepancy. In my experience, not many people > will do that. They will just take all the credit, > but he didn’t. The best thing about this position, > is my boss. He is considerably young for this > position, mid-30s, and is very intelligent. Most > places I have worked, and well I am in my early > 20s so there haven’t been many, I have never felt > as if the guy above me was more competent. Here I > totally feel it, and feel as if I have so much to > learn from my superior. > > I guess the lesson I learned here, and would like > to pass onto others is, it doesn’t matter if you > work for a big bank if you don’t work in the > position you are interested in. If you work at a > huge bank and all you do is manage their database, > you will never attain the work experience you need > to move up in what you truly want to do. It’s > better to go where you can actually gain the > skills and exposure you need to move up in what > you truly want to do. Dude, kick @ss. Very inspirational! Rock on young skywalker.

nice!

MiserableLawStdnt Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Just wanted to post a final update here on where I > finally ended up: > > I did get an offer from Carlyle, which I was > surprised about since I thought I blew the > interview. Also was offered a position with IADB, > Inter-American Development Bank. I declined both > offers and went with a small PE-firm in Oil & Gas. > At the time I was unsure if this was the right > decision, but now I know it was the right > decision. The firm is on a major acquisition spree > and is investing over 200 mm over the next 2-years > buying everything. I am really liking the work I > am doing, as it is really challenging. > > I am working on a hedging model now, to fight the > volatility in the Crude market. I am going to all > of these meetings with a lot of big banks and > consulting firms, ie Morgan Stanley, Smith > Barney…etc. It’s a lot of good exposure and > that’s what I was looking for. I am reviewing > their models and then giving my views, which at > the moment aren’t a whole lot. > > Last week, I was reviewing a DCF model by another > bank, and my boss asked me what I thought. I told > him I thought that the WACC used by the other > analyst team wasn’t great because of the comps he > used, Hess, Exxon…etc. Hess, Exxon are refiners > and the company we were working on was a > wholesaler. The margins have an inverse > correlation. Meaning if the price of RBOB > (Gasoline Futures) goes up, the refiner margin > goes up, but the wholesaler’s margin goes down. > Well he just shook his head and later on I got an > e mail telling me I could sit in on the Morgan > Stanley meeting. During the meeting he totally > gave me all the credit for catching that > discrepancy. In my experience, not many people > will do that. They will just take all the credit, > but he didn’t. The best thing about this position, > is my boss. He is considerably young for this > position, mid-30s, and is very intelligent. Most > places I have worked, and well I am in my early > 20s so there haven’t been many, I have never felt > as if the guy above me was more competent. Here I > totally feel it, and feel as if I have so much to > learn from my superior. > > I guess the lesson I learned here, and would like > to pass onto others is, it doesn’t matter if you > work for a big bank if you don’t work in the > position you are interested in. If you work at a > huge bank and all you do is manage their database, > you will never attain the work experience you need > to move up in what you truly want to do. It’s > better to go where you can actually gain the > skills and exposure you need to move up in what > you truly want to do. Congrats, I am happy for you!

Congrats, that’s awesome, definitely makes up for the *facepalm* moments.

congrat mate this is def s very feel god story thanks for sharing, no matter the haters ****cough Miss cleo cough***

absolutely amazing!! well done! i am starting in my new role tomorrow and hope as hell I can share an inspirational story similar to yours soon!! you rock!

Great news, MiserableLawStdnt! Congrats!