Move to MO from BO - should I do it

Pricing is MO?? Hm, i made the BO to MO jump without evening realizing it. GenY

“If you can get these types of roles, I think they are a great way to learn FO work without the risk of losing money/getting fired.” Pricing is a great way to learn FO work? Risk Management has no risk of losing money/getting fired? Huh?

i agree that it depends on the type of work you would do in MO. at my shop BO is essentially a reconciliation type job from what i understand. while the MO guys are the ones that actually deal with the FO, sit with the FO, deal with the BO for the FO guys, run risk, P&L, price trades, help with brokers, deal with the bank & other banks sales guys to make sure trades are correct. its not just trade processing/rec’s for them, its much more involved.

I work on the buyside… and at my shop… pricing guys do all the modeling and valuations to price securities… and credit risk management people would never get fired… front office and risk management committees of higher level people do trading risk management. As far as I am concerned… modeling and valuations is a lot more MO and “front office” type work than accounting, trade settling, p/l recon, trade confirming, or any of that stuff.

You guys are forgetting client facing roles. Imo far better than BO depending on your overall makeup.