my boss asked me to stop using the CFA designation :(

…what is this…so ridiculous…

They are the biggest pricks out there. They are just threatened pure and simple. This really sux I am sorry.

I think that the boss might be looking out for you and the difference is internal vs external communication. In external communication, it reflects well on your firm that you are a CFA charterholder. Your buiness card and your external communication should have that as part of your signature. Internally, starting to use the CFA designation on your e-mails seems like credentialism - like “I’m a charterholder now; you’re not. My opinion matters more than it used to and more than yours”. That’s usurping the authority of your managers to give you added say in group decisions. The only internal communications I would use it on is when there is an ethical decision to be made and you need to inform people that you are constrained by more than just the usual considerations.

Also, I really like the French.

you are malek , loved and respected in your firm , designation or not. No need to state your cedentials in each of hundreds of emails to your colleagues and supervisors

I agree with Joey - maybe your boss is referring to internal emails. I work with people who have their CFA’s and CPA’s but I have never seen anyone include it in their emails. External emails, I’ve seen my boss include it in there…

Have you considered changing your middle name to CFA, then everyone is happy.

Analysts at UBS in Australia with the CFA include it in their email name, which presumably means it also is on view internally. Goes well beyond just including it in your signature…

dfmac Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Have you considered changing your middle name to CFA, then everyone is happy. Agreed, this is the easiest way to get the CFA, simply change your name and you can avoid the whole 3yr process.

How about they just don’t give a rat’s *** about the CFA so they don’t want their employees signing with it ? Firms have policies, you know ?

Viceroy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > How about they just don’t give a rat’s *** about > the CFA so they don’t want their employees signing > with it ? Firms have policies, you know ? Its part of your title. You have earned the right to use the designation. I don’t personally use it in my internal emails (I delete the signature for internals - everyone knows who I am and what my extension is) but always in external emails. External parties will respect you for it and it lends you a certain prestige. Use it.

Some firms have the policy of not having credentials on signatures and business cards. I worked at a big 4 where this was the case. If you love putting credentials on things, go to germany, the do the whole lot! school degrees, post grad degrees, professional qualifications, its a litany of letters!

If my boss asked me that I’d start looking for a new company to work for.

I would give him the finger

@Antonio You’ve outgrown them, move on. (I agree with thommo as well :slight_smile: In the company I worked for most people would leave even after passing 2 levels (including me). Moreover, most who passed 3 levels would leave one way or another.

All cultural issues aside, unless you are in an enormous organization where you constantly work with people you barely know, it is good practice to remove your formal e-mail signature from internal e-mails. I always delete it when it pops up for internal communications because it looks too stuffy and formal with your full name, title, credential, address, phone number, etc. I always leave it on for external communications but only for the initial e-mail in a “conversation” – for replies-to-replies, I also delete it.

Agree with ATH entirely. Internally not necessary. Normally they can just double click on your email address name to get phone numbers and other info if needed. And same for external, if they got it at the beginning of the email string they dont need it again, and it just gets in the way making the email string harder to follow

If there’s a way to put a picture of Ted Nugent in your email signature somehow, I’d do that.

Captain Windjammer Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If there’s a way to put a picture of Ted Nugent in > your email signature somehow, I’d do that. LOVE the Motor City Madman! I’m going to try that.