My CFA Story

“Which co. In Greece defaulted?” Not surprised. Sometimes I feel we that dedicated CFAIIANS are a whole lot like the shaolin monks with the world of knowledge, that the others seem to respect yet the monks are only good with their begging bowls in hands

wow… begging ! is that all monks do ??? i thought they Meditate, give religious teachings, live austerious life…

Sorry did not get the context you meant that in.

just to add to the discussion, i may not remember or apply everything i have read in CFA course in my work but apart from knowledge i feel i have gained other skills such as analytical ability, application of mind, get maximum out of minimum data, concentration for long hours, not giving up, sense of confidence etc etc…

It took u MBA + FRM + CFA(L3) + ACCA + (undergrad degree too i guess) to get job interviews and then after all those degrees and certifications u r saying u managed to land only a decent job. Thats an overkill of degrees and certifications wink

In response to vgmalu post:

I think it’s the lack of clarity and patience…what you actually want to do and not the fault of certifications and MBA angry

"

Hi,

I graduated last year and currently working in an IT Financial Services company(9 months experience). Gave my CFA L1 this year and was thinking of applying for Entry level jobs(non IT) in Finance industry after clearing my CFA L1. Do u think it would be stupid idea and waste of time to try to go for those jobs if i fail to clear L1 this time??? or it would make sense of going for them early in my career as i guess not every recent graduate who works in finance is an MBA or CFA L1 passed?? Besides that I am trying to get my MS Excel skills up which i think would be helpfull and do have knowledge of Database."-Goblin

Kid we are of same age perhaps…still i have all those credentials+fluency in matalb/r/sql/vba and have a “decent finance job” in risk management.Its really funny when guys like you…who are still not into the finance industry…tries to advice people like us…

I still don’t see how that post is relevant to this discussion but anyways lol ur job must be really important that u find all that time to dig up that post :stuck_out_tongue: …anyways Rahul I understand it’s the Indian mentality of collecting certificates and doing everything they could get their hands upon even if those things r irrelevant …most of guys do it bcoz they graduate from some unknown colleges in India (unlike u who graduated from tier 2 lol) and try to compensate it by doing all those certifications…not against it but only in favour if it adds value…and lol u need to get out of ur little finance cocoon …there are whole lot of professions out there lol Roy open up ur eyes…and as far as I am concerned I realized there is whole lot of money in Quantitative finance :D…and by the way its proficiency in programming not fluency :stuck_out_tongue:

I dont post on AF anymore.I was free today in office and read stupid comments that you have made.There is a whole world outside finance but AF is for people either working in Finance or willing to work.Regarding PGDM from tier 2…it does not matter any more.ACCA+CFA+FRM will be enough to get respectable job in any Firm…any where…in the world…Its not about proficiency or fluency…its about knowing them…But with whom am i talking?A kid of my age who is a complete loser trying to learn exel or data base so that he can find some back end jobs in India…Again you need to know with whom you are talking too…I can do 100000 certifications if i want…as long as i am not compromising on my work .

troll jobs get harder and harder every day

+1

owned

How things in ukraine igor ? Is puttin giving you some trouble

he is my alter ego…i use his account most of the time…

Hi Goblin,

Its definitely not the lack of clarity, as i always wanted to get into this profession. just that I happened to finish my PG when things globally were not looking good, i had to accept whatever came my way.

Also i have tried everything for the past 6 years, not getting selected after 1 round would show my incompetence, but not getting called for a round is really bad.

In India, you don’t stand a chance unless u have expereince / referals. I am contemplating removing all experience from my CV and trying as a plain grad. fresher now.

p.s. I think this post should be moved to careers section.

Rahul Roy have you considered a not in IT. Those certificates would be very useful in a back office it function?