My FMVA Experience

If you’re about to invest your money and time in the FMVA program, you want to know if it’s worth the effort. I know because I’ve been there myself. Before taking my certification, I looked online a lot to find suggestions, opinions, and experiences about the program. Furthermore, I received a lot of messages with questions about the certification since I added my FMVA credential on Linkedin. For this reason, I believe that this review could be helpful because this is exactly what I was looking for while evaluating if taking the program or not. I answer the questions I received the most below:

What do you think about the lessons?
I believe that the course could really help you take your financial modeling skills to the next level. They are engaging, interesting, and real-world inspired, so they have nothing to do with an average and boring university lecture. They aren’t live but you can reach a qualified financial analyst via email if you are a full-immersion student, and ask any questions related to the program. I believe this is one of the top reasons to join the program: having a tutor is very helpful if you want to improve your financial modeling.

How much time do you need to complete the program
The average completion time is 6 months, according to the CFI. However, I needed just 1 month since I took it right after my university exam session, and I had much free time. To know how much it can take you, just divide the lesson hours (100hrs approximately) by the time you can dedicate it daily.

Are the tests difficult to pass?
I pass most of the tests on the first attempt, but there are some I passed only after trying two times. The most difficult is the final test, where you apply everything you learned in the course with the Amazon case study.

Is the Certification Worth It?
The program does exactly what it promises you: it bridges the gap between what you’ve learned in university and the skills you need to have in the real world.
I saw another student complaining about the fact that you can try the tests how many times you want, so the certification is not valuable. I believe that this is not the case. It is an online certification; it obviously doesn’t have the same value of a certification like the CFA. However, I believe that focusing on the “value of a certification” is not the right mindset. No one will ever hire you just because you are a CFA, as no one will hire you just because you are an FMVA. The reason why a potential employer would hire you are skills. If you are good at what you do, you will get any jobs you want. The FMVA program helps you at becoming a great financial analyst, and this is what matters.

If you want to go deeper about my FMVA experience, I wrote a comprehensive review, where I tell you everything you need to know about the certification. You can find it just by googling “FMVA Review Manuel Bleve”

Manuel

2 Likes

Thank you Manuel, for your review. I’m trying to improve my skills as a newbie modeler and I’m considering the FMVA program, so this review was helpful. I’ll take a look at your comprehensive review as well.