My Piece of Advice on Killing L3 AM Essay

Amen to that.

There are some videos from the various providers about exactly how to do that, and to me, that’s the most value item that the 3rd party study materials provide.

#URWelcome

I agree about time management. You may know everything but if you don’t finish with enough time, it doesn’t matter. My strategy was if I didn’t know the answer immediately looking at a question and couldn’t answer it in the time alloted I just skipped it. If you do this you will not run out of time and will have time to come back and finish the blank questions.

Everyone learns in different ways. Saying you should not use Schweser and use only CFAI text doesn’t work for everyone. In level I, I decided at first to use CFAI text only and after about a month or so, I realised that the text book was just far too much for my mind to retain the amount I was reading. I had to switch to Schweser. If had stuck to just CFAI, I honestly believe I would not have passed Level I and go on to pass level II and III using a similar strategy.

It takes discipline…repeating the routine creates discipline…this creates a probability of killing the creativity but increase the chances of passing the formatted exam…

bottom line there are rules if you follow can take you to a pass but it may not work for you…

so one is really lucky if he/she can feel time under stress condition and still go on…

that brings me to fight or flight condition so you better fight even if that means drop the qstn and move on to the next, guess hashgag holds the copy rights… ))

Ps: keep on reading the forum, most of the time it is good…like L3 pass rate ))

This. This right here.

But OP makes some really great points. Specifically around patterns/structure aka understanding the test.

YmsCFA what did you do differently this time in your prep? Please share - I really think it could help me. I was band 9 with AM: 6/2/2 and PM: 1/5/3. Thanks.

@TakeiFinale and @ 2J2017, where did you get the CFA papers back to 2008 if they only post the last 3 years on the website? Also, what method did you use to categorize by topic area? Finally, did you exclude questions covering material no longer in the curriculum?

Actually, I think it really does go both ways. The morning of Results Day I scanned through the 100s of matrix posts to confirm that there were other Passes with matrices similar to mine or worse. One of the saddest Fails I saw was someone who had almost all >70s in AM but almost all fails in PM. That would be rough - to put in the level of work needed to do so well on the Essays but still receive a Fail. I would never tell an L3 candidate to not worry about PM just because we’ve all passed L2.

On the first page of AM papers, there’s a table of content telling you which topic each question is related to. For questions covering obsolete material, just ignore them. WRT previous papers, you can leave me a message with your email and I can send them to you.

He just can’t stop boasting

If you want to pass with a matrix with equal rarity then a unicorn use CFAI I for sure.

Someone posted a link on AF to a Google drive download back to like 2005. I only did back to 2012 I think, but I didnt exclude anything because I felt like the way the want questions answered was the same even if something wasn’t directly covered anymore.

The most important thing is knowing the command words. If you know them - in the meaning CFAI gives to them - you can answer their question, as S2000magician said. Command word is the key you are going to provide them with the answer in the right direction.

Mate I am not misleading. That’s how I did it and I passed on the first try. I am not saying not to practice the morning. I did do 4 AM mocks but the morning can be so random that I don’t think it is good to allocate most of the time on this.

Thank you

Hi there,

Thanks for your advice on L3 AM paper. Real insightful and probably what I did wrong resulting a resit this year.

I would be interested in your notes if you wouldn’t mind and could you also send me the past AM papers you were referring to?

TakeiFinale

Thank you for the great advice and your offer to share your notes! Definitely interested.

Thank you for your advice

thanks. do you tutor?