My Success Story

Awesome – congratulations! By the way, to those that have inquired – I’ve made a number of posts on salary negotiations over the last year, but one of the more recent ones comes to mind: http://www.analystforum.com/phorums/read.php?1,1101978,1102171#msg-1102171 Let me know if there are other threads on salary negotiation…would be nice to re-cap some of them here since it’s been a popular topic on this forum lately.

@Bipolarboyboston - I’ll generally be supporting the PM’s with research and also be helping advisors with pitchbooks to win new business. @longhornbrian - Treasury was great, especially coming from within corporate finance. It is definitley the “sexiest” of the corp fin jobs. It was a great experience and I don’t regret it as it eventually led to me getting experience for the charter and getting my new job. With that said, Treasury can get fairly routine depending on the type of organization you are in. The bigger shops (apple, google, cisco) you will focus on one piece of the puzzle (FX, Cash, Capital Markets, Ops, Accounting), but not a combination of those areas. I was managing or contributing to pretty much each one of those areas to being in a smaller shop. Even though I had diverse experiences in my role I think the general nature of Treasury began to wear on me. Treasuries are almost wholly risk averse and only invest in cash equivalents or short term money markets. Some shops will outsource a piece to other managers for an equity allocation (if it is even allowed) So basically it began to loose its appeal after awhile. My desire to see more asset classes was a huge reason for my move. FX and Capital Markets and even accounting some time kept it interesting but, again, depending on the shop, the more or less you are able to do. Basically, it all boiled down to wanting to get a new experience and move into a different industry. Being a corporate treasurer would be a great gig towards the end of my career when I am ready to work the 9-5 and have a nice work life balance. Where are you currently working and why are you looking to move to Treasury? Let me know if I can help shed some light anywhere else.

Thanks numi, that is the thread - The last few days going into the negotiations I was considering just saying “Fvck it” and taking what they had to offer, bc I was pretty desperate to move into the role. Hell I would have taken a paycut just to get in there. I however, kept this to myself and didn’t express anything other than enthusiasm Numi wrote : “Ever since my first year out of graduation, I have not received an offer on the table that I *haven’t* tried to negotiate, and the negotiations were mostly successful. If they weren’t, at least I knew I tried to get the extra cash. My rationale is that someone like me deserves to be paid and if they don’t want to pay me what I’m asking for, at least I’d like to know why.” After reading what you had to say above I really took that to heart and I decided to grow a sack and ask for a raise, even though they were already offering me more that I was currently making. Drafted a nice email, and by the end of the day it was done. `

Yeah for my last job I asked for more pay – wrote out a nice long letter, etc. They denied any salary increase but gave me a healthy bump on my signing bonus, which I was pretty happy about. The hour or two I spent drafting that letter were probably the highest ROI hours I’ve had in my life (OTHER THAN WHEN SITTING FOR CFA EXAMS OFC LOL).

That’s awesome dude, thanks for sharing.

I had an instance where i pushed negotiation envelope too far…

^ What was the situation and outcome of that? How can it be “too far” if you had a walkaway point in mind? Did you really plan to walk away at a certain price or were you just trying to get as much as you could?

During any negotiation, it’s fun when you put your “I don’t know” face while you’re already thinking what you’re going to do with the extra money, especially during your early to mid 20s. Also, the power of silence in a negotiation is amazing, but you need to be good to use it properly.

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ^ What was the situation and outcome of that? How > can it be “too far” if you had a walkaway point in > mind? Did you really plan to walk away at a > certain price or were you just trying to get as > much as you could? Situation was that i was offered a position on a same title level and only marginally higher salary. I spoke to a department head, and mentioned that i will be promoted in my current position this year, so i would like to come in a level higher. Also, i mentioned my bonus expectations in my current position and said that i expect around 20% Total comp increase. Never heard from the since :slight_smile:

comp sci gangster, where have you been. the streets been waiting.

comp_sci_gangsta’s been too busy holding down the hard-knock aisles of the PC lab

damn right numi, damn right actually i decided to take it easy and concentrate my efforts on improving volleyball and tennis skills ahead of summer/beach season

comp_sci_kid Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > damn right numi, damn right > > actually i decided to take it easy and concentrate > my efforts on improving volleyball and tennis > skills ahead of summer/beach season aren’t you married? :slight_smile:

oh wow!!! goodluck!!! I love Silicon Valley!

justin88 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > comp_sci_kid Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > damn right numi, damn right > > > > actually i decided to take it easy and > concentrate > > my efforts on improving volleyball and tennis > > skills ahead of summer/beach season > > aren’t you married? :slight_smile: yes… and?