my workout laundry stinks even after cleaning. What gives?

^brooo - its a mortal sin

Gringo - sounds like you have a good thing going on. Any suggestions to a younger gun to get wifey to do more of your chores?

I guess a lot of people don’t… but some do… I didn’t know it was a controversial topic http://graciebarra.com/2014/09/washing-the-belt-2/

In Jiu-Jitsu, students may seldom if ever wash their belt. There is a widely known superstition that washing the belt will lead to washing away knowledge. It’s as if the information and experience gained in class gets transposed into the belt you’re currently wearing. A new belt also symbolizes a new beginning, and a clean start during the next stage of the Jiu-Jitsu journey. Though there is no scientific evidence to back up this claim, many students still choose to not wash their belts.

There are some concerns with not washing the belt. The obvious would be hygienic. Not washing the belt can cause a build up of dirt, bacteria, and other harmful things.

Mullen_article_beltsIn striking martial arts this may not be as large of an issue. In grappling arts however, there is more to worry about.

Rolling around on mats while sweating can cause greater build up of bacteria. Belt durations in Jiu-Jitsu can often be longer than other martial arts. For example, many students can have the rank of the white belt for well over a year before being promoted to blue. This can be longer than other martial arts such as Tae Kwon Do that have more belts in their system.

I personally never washed my belts when I did Karate. I do however wash my belts semi regularly in Jiu-Jitsu. I often will hang dry the belt post training, and then wash it every couple weeks as needed. Knowing what we know about microbiology, it may be ideal to pass on this tradition but it’s ultimately up to the student to decide. If you decide to go without washing the belt, I would recommend purchasing multiple ones to rotate through.

I think it’s mainly about stock selection to be honest. Some women are just wired that way.

There’s an advanced level maneuver I like to call the ‘The Husband Technique’. If you’re ever asked to do something, under no circumstances do you say no. You do it and you do it badly. Not so bad that she can tell but bad enough that she won’t try and train you how to do it her way. For example if you’re stacking the dishwasher, chuck some cups down on the bottom row, get some cutlery in the little tray handle side up.

Doing 0% domestic tasks does take a fair bit of maintenance though, you need to stay respectful, make token gestures and not take it all for granted else you’ll end up in an argument about how she prefers doing all the laundry and doesn’t want you to touch the washing machine and drier but doesn’t want you to expect her to do it all.

Gross and manipulative

The belt needs to get softened by sweat, not fabric softener.

Agree completely, krnyc. What wife asks a husband to do something? Outrageous.

So if you want to avoid doing oral in the future, don’t refuse, but just use too much teeth.

The answer is really quite obvious; workout naked.

youre some disgusting people

That’s how you lose an eye… Oups sorry, just an instinct

This made me laugh out loud. Great post.

For fecks sake guys, give me a break

a) the post was clearly written in a flippant tone

b) I’ve mentioned at least twice that she prefers to do it all

c) women have been manipulating men into doing housework for decades. It’s 2017; gender equality?

d) why would anyone ever want to avoid doing oral?

FWIW, when I spent time in Canada doing “Voluntary Poverty” as everyone like to call it here, the girls were tasked with doing all the household chores, cleaning, dishwashing, and did all the guy’s laundry and everyone’s laundry, because honestly most of the girls couldn’t do the grunt work outside with heavy machinery, chainsaws, chopping wood, etc. It was purely based on physical abilities, which was probably how girls doing chores inside developed in the first place.

Must read is Esther Vilar’s “the manipulated man” - good insight into this. Here’s the wikipage:

The book argues that, contrary to common feminist and women’s rights rhetoric, women in industrialized cultures are not oppressed, but rather exploit a well-established system of manipulating men.

Vilar writes, “Men have been trained and conditioned by women, not unlike the way Pavlov conditioned his dogs, into becoming their slaves. As compensation for their labours men are given periodic use of a woman’s vagina.” The book contends that young boys are encouraged to associate their masculinity with their ability to be sexually intimate with a woman, and that a woman can control a man by socially empowering herself to be the gate-keeper to his sense of masculinity. Vilar states that this has been going on for some time.

The author says that social definitions and norms, such as the idea that women are weak, are constructed by women with their needs in mind. Vilar explains how it works: if women are viewed as weak, less is expected of them; and therefore they are given more leeway in society than men. Vilar states that women are generally “gold diggers” who attempt to extract money and other material resources from men. One means by which women control men to effect this transfer of resources is praise. Women dole out praise to men only when their needs are met in some way.

Another means of manipulation is the calculated use of emotional displays. Vilar claims that women can control their emotional reactions whereas men cannot, and that women create overly-dramatized emotional reactions to get their way: they “blackmail” men emotionally. Women also use sex as a tool of manipulation and control but also traditional concepts of love and romance, which are seen more positively than sex, to control men’s sexual lives. Vilar writes that men gain nothing from marriage and that women coerce them into it under the pretense that it fulfills their romantic desires.

The book closes with Vilar stating that it would be difficult to change the situation by appealing to women, as women are unsympathetic to the plight of men, and unwilling to give up their comfortable position in society. It is up to men to see past the deception and emotional blackmail and subject it to open criticism before any meaningful changes can occur.

Its good a woman wrote this. If it was a man, he would have been tarred, feathered, beat, and hung.

b) hard to say without knowing your wife personally but she sounds more like an exception

c) Men are supposed to do their share of housework. What’s so manipulative about that?

d) agree. But you’d be surprised

Thiz sounds psychotic honestly

Played judo in college, and usually worked out 4-5x weekly. Since I was poor, gi only got washed once a week - just dried in between workouts. So funk it was.

If the jiu jitsu gi is the same fabric as the judo one, it’s building up bacteria. All you need is is a tiny bit (an ounce or two) of bleach in the wash to kill the microbuggers.

I have a couple pairs of work out shorts and probably 4 or five dry fit tops. I wear the shorts for a couple workouts then wash. After the first use, I would air them out in the laundry room. I also take the shoes out of the bag to get some air in them as well. I haven’t had any issues with the gear stinking after being washed (hot or warm water and tumble dry).

I think spraying febreeze might help (for smell/bacteria).

I do a wash/dry 4-7 times per week. Surprisingly, my electric bill isn’t really that bad.