NBA and China

when it comes to toilet paper. you have to give a shit!

Honestly, I think this would be a sick line on some ATL trap song.

I love Clay Travis.

https://twitter.com/ClayTravis?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

How stupid is this GM to have tweeted this? Company CEOs are not supposed to be going around making needless political statements that can damage their business. Even if he has some political beliefs, he is paid a lot of money to work in the interests of the NBA club, which clearly he didn’t. I don’t know what happened to the guy, but I would have kicked him out if I was the owner. When you have such an important position as head of an organization like this, you have to make a lot of compromises, one of which is to STFU about your personal feelings if it is bad for the job.

^Not necessarily disagreeing with you, but how can you reconcile that belief with current attitude of the NFL/NBA where coaches are allowed to openly disrespect the president (Greg Popovich and Steve Kerr) and players can kneel for the national anthem (you know who)?

The short answer is that you can’t. The NBA has beliefs, but only until that belief costs them a crap ton of money.

The NBA was going to hose the all-star game in New Orleans because of their bathroom bill.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/wizards/after-change-to-bathroom-law-nba-willing-to-consider-north-carolina-again/2017/04/07/f3a0d096-1bd7-11e7-855e-4824bbb5d748_story.html

It’s kind of sad that the NBA won’t take a stand.

I mean, i get it, money is great. But consistency in your beliefs is also great.

nba revenue is about 7.5b with a 50b valuation. ppl estimate 0.5b is from china. so about 6 percent. but i think the key is the future growth from china. to borrow ken fisher’s logic. china is like a hot chick. we must meet her demands!

At least Trey & Matt have some balls

[video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Vyo4urabLw]

Nice! I gotta say, I usually like ohai’s points, but this one was pretty disappointing.

For the record, I agree with Ohai. Dude should have thought before he spoke. What he did discredits his team and the NBA. And I think the owner wouldn’t be wrong for firing him.

My beef is with Adam Silver and the NBA. He lets Steve Kerr and Gregg Popovich spew their bile anytime a camera is pushed in front of their face. (Disclaimer - I’m a Spurs fan.) The Golden State Warriors turned down a visit to the White House. Lebron, Baron Davis, and Draymond Green all tweeted insults at the President afterwards. (I’m specifically omitting Kobe, because he wan’t a player at the time, I think.)

The NBA no longer allows the term “owner”, because the term smacks of the days of slavery. The moved their All-Star game from North Carolina because the state of NC wants (gasp) men to use the men’s bathroom and women to use the women’s bathroom. (How dastardly a thought!!)

^ Those are different points. Ohai is saying don’t cost the enterprise big money. China is big money and speaking up doesn’t gain you anything to offset. In your situation, Greenmans don’t buy Air Jordans, KD Signatures, etc, so they don’t care. In fact, speaking up probably hits their target market positively. Plus it’s a little different with players, Lebron, Green, etc, define the NBA, they’re basically going to get to do what they want. You’re arguing for fairness, which is a different point and somewhat irrelevant.

Lebron on being told to ‘shut up and dribble’:

“I will not shut up and dribble. I owe it to my peers. I owe it to my fans. I owe it to the youth. I owe it to ya’ll and everybody that has laid the path for me to get to this point. I was down courtside and we had a timeout, and I glanced over and I saw Dr. J (Julius Erving), Kareem (Abdul-Jabbar), Bill Russell, and Jerry West and I just thanked them. The Big O (Oscar Robertson) was not here and I thank him too. We all know what Kareem and Russell went through in a time where whatever they said was, ‘mo, you’re not allowed to say that. Shut up and dribble.’ I can’t sit here and allow that to happen because of what they went through. It would have been the same as telling Jackie Robinson to shut up and slide into home base, or Jesse Owens to shut up and just go triple jump. I can’t do that because of so many people that’s looking up to me. There’s so many that’s going to come after me so I got to continue the path.”

Lebron on China:

“We all talk about this freedom of speech. Yes, we all do have freedom of speech, but at times, there are ramifications for the negative that can happen when you’re not thinking about others, and you’re only thinking about yourself,” James said. “I don’t want to get in a word sentence feud with Daryl Morey, but I believe he wasn’t educated on the situation at hand, and he spoke. And so many people could have been harmed, not only financially, but physically, emotionally, spiritually.”

i mean daryl prolly thought he can run his mouth cuz china wouldnt care. now that he got checked. its a good thing he is apologizing.

china is like a boss that you hate. you may hate them, but you dont bite the hand that feeds you.

I like Lebron, seems like a conscientious dude. I don’t know of too many people given that much fame, talent and money that early in life that didn’t turn into total D-bags.

Nerdy. Problem with the whole China analogy is nobody really appointed them a boss. They’re a customer, and sometimes you fire customers, even rich ones. Happens all the time and often the best organizations are the most disciplined about doing it. Also unlike a boss, they aren’t the sole relationship, in fact, they’re still a small minority of the relationship. People focusing on short term gain is you have to take a long term view (which may ultimately agree with you or not, depends on how people do that calculus).

Anyhow, people keep repeating those tropes (thx, we get what happened) and the GM will probably sit back and be quiet, but I get the impression the major star players aren’t done (although maybe on CN, who knows what they think).

so this boils down to is the juice worth the squeeze. and clearly the nba heads figured that china is worth more than the opinion of 1 employee.

Image result for south park freedom of speech negative lebron meme

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/south-park-episode-mocks-lebron-james-china-comments-1248405?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral

lol, its pretty funny and you just made it funnier.

Image result for snowflake

South Park: Nearing a $500M streaming deal as we speak is in its 23rd season, still making front page news. Co-creators are already tied for 3rd richest comedians in the world with net worth >$500M each (Lebron

Kiplinger: Has panties in a bunch

I’m sorry, it was close, but ultimately the point goes to South Park, sorry for your loss.

Related image

yea i saw that headline for southpark. had no idea that it was more valuable than friends.

see no one told you lifee was going to be this wayyyyyyy

also you are very wrong on china. china right now is 7% of revenue which is arguably shit. but the future prospects are huge. to ignore it would be retarded

south park can easily run thier mouth cuz the chinks dont watch their shit.

Actually I’m not wrong. Because I never said the relationship couldn’t grow, I simply stated the facts of the matter.